On waking from sleep, my Mojave MacBook prompts twice for my OTP for my 1P account

realnickperry
realnickperry
Community Member

For some time now (a few months) my Mojave (formerly beta, then release, now .1 Beta) MacBook pro has been requesting the OTP for my 1P account when being unlocked after sleep. It asks this twice in succession. It does this 90% of the time it wakes up. Occasionally the second prompt is followed by a fuller dialogue to re-enter my 1P account password.

However the 1P app is unlocked and I can, in fact, open the 1P app from the menu bar to get the OTP and account password.

It is not clear what is asking for the OTP - browser extension or app - as both are unlocked and accessible. However since I recently changed from 1PX to the standard 1P extension in Chrome, I have to assume it's the app as this dialogue existed with both.

At first I didn't even realise it was 1P that was asking for an OTP as there is no branding on the dialogue that suggests what app is requesting it (this is bad form for any dialogue as it is, at best, confusing)

I often don't enter my OTP and just close both dialogues and everything is OK from a read only point of view, but when it comes to changing or saving a new password, things can go awry - such as losing syng or the password not saving - sometimes I get another OTP prompt at the time and I enter it and all is well.

This is obviously quite annoying and has a high level of friction on usability. I want the security of OTP for NEW device/logins (and maybe a periodic check), but I am happy with the other levels of security that my OS offers for day to day use on a pre-approved device and want it to be my single sign on thereafter.

In case it matters, I use synced 1P on Mac OSX, iOS 12, and a couple of Windows PCs, almost exclusively with Chrome. This does not affect my PCs.

1Password Version: 7.2.2.BETA-0 (70202000) AgileB
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.14.1 Beta
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Mojave wake OTP prompt

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@realnickperry: I'm sorry to hear that. Can you update to the latest beta and tell me if you're experiencing the same issue? If so, could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• realnickperry
    realnickperry
    Community Member

@brenty - I'm already auto-updating and on the latest beta (7.2.2.BETA-2). This has been happening for any number of versions (OSX only) for some months.

Not sure what clarification you need. Wake from sleep/unlock and I'm prompted for OTP (evidently for 1P) yet 1P is unlocked and available:

Copy the OTP and paste it in, and all is well, then a few seconds later I (often but not always) get a second, identical prompt:

This is sometimes accompanied by the full 1P login prompt with my email and secret key filled in - just waiting for my password (though it's not asking right now so can't screenshot it).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@realnickperry: So...I'm sorry if I'm being dense here, but I'm having trouble understanding what isn't clear about that prompt: it's showing "1Password" in the title bar, and the image and name you chose for your account as well. Given that, what sort of change are you proposing? I guess that's the clarification I'm asking for.

As far as being prompted repeatedly, did you maybe make a change to your account around the time that started happening for you? You may just need to sign out and sign back in with your updated credentials. Let me know.

• realnickperry
    realnickperry
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty - I think you are focussing on the less important thing with the dialogue - I said "at first" I had no idea what it was. The branding (subtle as it is) has more recently appeared. Not sure when, that might be when OS Mojave went into release or one of the betas. My photo and name was not enough alone to identify 1P - I use that avatar everywhere, and unsurprisingly, my name!

The main issue is the repeated re-authentication/OTP on wake. This has been going on for months and I don't recall any changes to my account in recent months at all (and the creds haven't changed since I signed up). In any event, I've logged out and logged back in many times over that period.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @brenty - I think you are focussing on the less important thing with the dialogue - I said "at first" I had no idea what it was. The branding (subtle as it is) has more recently appeared. Not sure when, that might be when OS Mojave went into release or one of the betas. My photo and name was not enough alone to identify 1P - I use that avatar everywhere, and unsurprisingly, my name!

@realnickperry: Ah. Sorry for confusing things. Good point. I never really thought about it, but I guess that's a benefit of using different pictures in different places: I can fairly easily tell what I'm dealing with at a glance (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) Anyway, sort of beside the point now. Thank you.

The main issue is the repeated re-authentication/OTP on wake. This has been going on for months and I don't recall any changes to my account in recent months at all (and the creds haven't changed since I signed up). In any event, I've logged out and logged back in many times over that period.

Thank you for confirming. Then I wouldn't expect you to have to sign in repeatedly either. We'll have to do some digging. I'll follow up with you via email to get more details.

ref: SMI-69217-326

This discussion has been closed.