Wish there was an option to view 1Password entry instead of opening the URL

Options

It's annoying to me that when I search for a 1Password entry that it opens the URL for the first entry when I press enter. Can we please get an option to turn that off? Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Cloud
Referrer: forum-search:search opens url

Comments

• Hi @jguillet,

Thanks for writing in.

You don't need to hit enter to view the item, it'll auto select the first item when you search and you can go up and down to select items to view them.

Is this in 1Password mini or the main 1Password interface? Enter is intentional in 1Password mini since you'd want it to fill in.

As for the main interface, we wanted to keep it consistent between both 1Password and 1Password mini for the enter behavior. It'd be odd that pressing enter in mini opens the site but not in the main 1Password interface.

We are not going to add a setting for this but we haven't gotten many feedback in two years that pressing enter is annoying. We'll see if we can find a better balance for the main interface.

• jguillet
    jguillet
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I know I don't have to hit enter, but it's habit and is normally required for any other type of search interface. I realize it's a "feature", but it annoys me and I want a way to disable it.

As an example, I have four different entries for "BofA". I enter "bofa" and press enter, which opens the URL for the first entry and signs me in. :( This happens in both the main interface and mini. All I'm asking for is a checkbox to enable/disable that behavior in both interfaces.

One person's "feature" is another's annoyance. It would be nice to have a way to turn it off.

• I understand, we'll try to find the balance by maybe changing it to control + enter to open the URL instead.

• jguillet
    jguillet
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. It seems like adding a simple option like, "Pressing Enter opens the URL for the first match" would be better and wouldn't upset users who like the current behavior. I appreciate your responses. Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited November 2018
    Options

You're welcome, thanks for taking the time to send in this feedback, it is very useful to know this.

We do not want to add a setting for everything; we've tried this in 1Password 4 and it ended up making the program more complicated to use and to maintain. We want to make the 1Password simple to use and that means; do more with less.

This discussion has been closed.