To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Unable to upload document error and size limitation

Options
Okilok
Okilok
Community Member

Hi guys,

I am in the process of upgrading to an account from the standalone 1pw6 version.
I have therefore taken up the trial offer and now have this running, quite smoothly.
I have migrated all my data across to the 1pw7 and have it working on both my mac (OS Mojave 10.14.1) and iOS device.

I have however been encountering an issue with documents upload.
I am under the understanding - from previous messages posted by the team on the forums - that there is no file size restriction on the uploads, provided the file size does not exceed the total storage space on the account - 1GB in my case.
I have however tried to upload a 52MB file, only to see a message saying files over 50MB where not allowed.

1. Is this a limitation in place? Or perhaps only on trial accounts?

More importantly, I have been having issues uploading files to my account. I first tried it in the mac app. The files would show up on the mac app itself, but would never upload to the account. I even changed the 1pw setting to let the app open for an hour, and same for the mac, to give it time to upload, but to no avail. That is with smallish files - around the 10-15MB mark.
Worse, once these where in there, I would be unable to delete them, despite not being able to open them: I could move them to the trash but when clicking empty trash and confirming, nothing would happen.

I then tried to log into my account on 1password.com, and upload from the browser interface. While it worked for some of the files, with some others, it just simply refused to work, no matter how many times I try or how long I wait. I am at some point met with a "unable to load document" error message. This does not seem to be related to the file size either: I was in the beginning able to load a 35mb file, but then when I tried repeatedly loading a 12mb one, it just refused to work. In one instance, after renaming the file, it uploaded it, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

1. What can I do to make this work as expected? I would really like to be able to upload my documents through the app without encountering the risk of the file being permanently there, unable to be deleted!

Thank you for your assistance.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Mojave 10.14.1
Sync Type: Account

Comments

• Okilok
    Okilok
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys,

Anybody has anything to contribute to this issue?
    What should I do to reach support if I cannot get some feedback here please?

• Hey @Okilok! At the moment, uploading files on 1Password.com using a browser is limited to 50MB. 1Password for Mac can upload files larger than that, but the size depends on the speed of your Internet connection, since the app will time out after 7 minutes. So depending on the speed of your connection, you can upload something fairly large. How fast is your Internet connection when you run a speed test?

• Okilok
    Okilok
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Jacob .
    I have run the speed test and get 52.5 download and 1.4 upload.
    I am on a cable connection, so it should be pretty decent.
    Can I reset the 7min timeout if I regularly interact with the app?

Thanks

• @Okilok That'd be the issue then. 1.4Mbps upload is rather slow unfortunately, and for a 52MB file like you mentioned, it'll take just over 7 minutes to complete. Could you head to a café or library and try adding the Document item there to see if a faster connection makes a difference? :)

• Okilok
    Okilok
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Jacob .
    Anything that can be done for the 7min timeout, such as using the app?

• Ben
    Options

The 1Password app is where the 7 minute timeout exists, opposed to the 50 MB limit in the web client. The only solution I’m aware of would be to use an internet connection with a faster upload speed to upload this file, or to try compressing (zipping) the file prior to uploading to get it under the 50 MB limit.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.