I just upgraded from 1Password6 to the new 1Password7 and now have two vaults. Why?

LesWilliams
LesWilliams
Community Member

I used to have a single vault coordinated via dropbox. I now have two vaults each with a different master password. A personal vault is located somewhere (?) and designated with a little blue flag. A primary vault is located on my Mac and is designated by a square Mac smiley face. What happened to dropbox and what do I need to do to keep things simple - a single vault synced through a single medium (dropbox, iCloud) to all of my devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad)?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I just upgraded from 1Password6 to the new 1Password7 and now have two vaults. Why?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @LesWilliams! The Personal vault is part of a 1password.com account you (or someone with access to your Mac) appear to have created at some point. The Primary vault is what sounds like your older, standalone 1Password data. If you've recently upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac, you may have created a 1password.com account inadvertently, and given it a different Master Password. Do you still remember both Master Passwords (I hope!)?

Here's how to check the 1password.com account password: visit https://my.1password.com in a browser and try signing in. Are you able to? Does the Master Password work there? Let me know.

• LesWilliams
    LesWilliams
    Community Member

Thanks Lars. Yes - I recently upgraded to 1Password7 for Mac using the annual subscription option. Per instructions I created a new account at the time with a new password.

So I now have a "new" Personal vault accessible at my.1password.com using the the new master password. I assume that the vault is stored at my.1Password.com and is not synchronized via Dropbox. Correct?

My "old" Primary vault appears to be on OnMyMac and accessible using the old master password. This "old" Primary vault is also the one accessible via my iPhone and my iPad. This "old" vault is presumably synchronized via Dropbox as it has been in the past. Correct?

How do I reconcile this level of redundancy? I would like one vault and a single master password accessible from all of my devices. Does Agilebits have a help file somewhere that can clarify this situation?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@LesWilliams - thanks for the clarification.

Per instructions I created a new account at the time with a new password.

The instructions don't specify that you use a new Master Password, only a secure one. In fact, we recommend that, assuming your existing Master Password is strong and hasn't been shared with anyone else or breached somehow, that you use the same one. :)

I assume that the vault is stored at my.1Password.com and is not synchronized via Dropbox. Correct?

Yes. With a 1password.com account, we are your data host and sync provider. No advanced, 3rd party sync such as Dropbox or iCloud is needed (or possible, for your account's vaults).

This "old" vault is presumably synchronized via Dropbox as it has been in the past. Correct?

If you had your previous standalone Primary vault set up to sync via Dropbox, then yes.

How do I reconcile this level of redundancy? I would like one vault and a single master password accessible from all of my devices.

Indeed, that's what we recommend. If you have not already done so, in 1Password for Mac, switch to your older Primary vault. Copy any data that is not already present in the person Personal vault over into the Personal vault, using these instructions. When you've finished and you're certain you've got a complete and up-to-date copy of your data in your 1password.com vault(s), remove your now-redundant Primary vault by clicking Preferences > Advanced and UN-checking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." That will leave you running only your 1Password account in 1Password for Mac. Make sure you delete the Primary vault on other devices as well. Let us know how you get on. :)

This discussion has been closed.