iPad and iMac Out of Sync?

jasondunn
jasondunn
Community Member

I use the new cloud-based 1Password service. I added a new login on my iPad - it shows 1128 total items. On my iMac I have 1127 items. Both devices are online and on the same network. Why isn't there a sync immediately upon use? How do I force a sync? This is very frustrating. :|

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Mojave
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

I'm not used to posting and not seeing a fast friendly response from 1Password tech support - this issue is happening again today. Any suggestions?

• JeremyRhoades
    JeremyRhoades
    Community Member

Hey Jason! Are both devices logged in to your 1Password account?

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

Yes, they most certainly are. The iPad has 1131 items. My iMac has 1129. The two items missing are the two I've created on the iPad.

• JeremyRhoades
    JeremyRhoades
    Community Member

Thank you for clarifying that for me. Can you also check to make sure that the items you created on your iPad are being added to a vault that is part of your 1Password account and that you're set to view All Vaults on the iMac?

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

I checked both the iPad and the Mac, and both only show one vault existing. I am puzzled. Is there some way to force a sync?

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

Fixed it. I had to completely exit 1Password on my Mac and re-start it and now I can see 1132 items on my Mac. I shouldn't have to do that, should I?

• JeremyRhoades
    JeremyRhoades
    Community Member

Phew...glad that fixed it for you! You are correct in your assumption that it's not expected behavior. Have you tried adding a new item after restarting 1Password?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jasondunn - sorry for the delay in our response here; we've been inundated recently with support requests and while we're working hard to get back to our usual quick response times, there's definitely been a bit of a backup lately.

Locking and unlocking 1Password for Mac will always force a sync (shouldn't need to quit completely). There is also a notifier which should update on-the-fly without having to do that, but it can be affected by a number of factors, from internet connectivity issues to network filters, etc. In my own testing just now, a new Secure Note created on an iPhone appeared nearly instantaneously on my Mac, which is what you should expect as well. If that continues not to be the case, I'd examine what might be going on with your network, particularly apps like HandsOff or Little Snitch. Let us know what you discover.

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

Thanks for chiming in Lars! I did a little test: I created a new login on my iMac, and it was immediately reflected on my iPad. When I deleted that login on my iPad, it did not delete on my iMac. I waited a few minutes, then exited from the 1Password completely - when I restarted it, the note was deleted as expected. So there's something stopping the Mac client from being in sync without a full exit and re-start. What should I do next?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jasondunn - I'd look into what might be preventing that on your Mac -- antivirus, network filtering apps, proxies, these are some of the main culprits. Do you run anything like that, either on your Mac, or at the network level on your LAN?

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

@Lars - No antivirus on my iMac, no network filtering apps or proxies. Very standard home networking setup with an Orbi router and a modem from my ISP. Are there some log files I could look at to see why 1Password is failing to sync?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jasondunn - try creating a Secure Note on each device. Give each note a different, unique name so it can be easily identified anywhere it's seen, something like "From Mac" and "From iPad" or similar. Note the exact time of each, as closely as possible. Check to see if it syncs, and if it doesn't, then I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/98588/ipad-and-imac-out-of-sync
    • Your forum username: @jasondunn

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :) Remember to include the time of the creation of each new Note.

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

Hi Lars, I wanted to close the loop on this. After rebooting my iMac, I haven't seen this issue any more - so perhaps some process was hung and wasn't syncing. Thanks for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it! That's a nice holiday treat for all of us. :) Hopefully you won't encounter any further issues, but we're here if you need us. Have a Happy New Year! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.