Why can I no longer edit my password vault on dropbox?

Options

I just installed 1Password V6.1.292d on my new Windows 10 laptop (my old one was stolen) and used the settings menu > Accounts and Vaults > Sign in to Dropbox to access my primary vault data. All of the data synced back to 1Password successfully, but none of the entries in that vault file are editable. The file is editable from my other devises (iphone and Mac). When I looked through the online Support section under Syncing with Dropbox I saw this information: "You won’t be able to create or edit items in a Dropbox vault, but you can move your existing 1Password data to your 1Password account where you can." That describes the problem I'm having, but I'm reluctant to move the data from the dropbox vault to my 1Password account because it's the dropbox file that I'm sharing between devices. I suspect this is a license issue, but I am a licensed user for Windows, Mac and iPhone. Can someone help me reestablish the dropbox file as my primary vault on the Windows client?

1Password Version: 6.1.292d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Can no longer edit my password vault on dropbox

Comments

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @poconnor, sorry for the confusion here!

1Password doesn't support editing Dropbox vaults yet, but this is something we plan on adding.

When I looked through the online Support section under Syncing with Dropbox I saw this information: "You won’t be able to create or edit items in a Dropbox vault, but you can move your existing 1Password data to your 1Password account where you can."

That guide is meant for users who are migrating their data to a 1Password account, which doesn't sound like what you've been trying to do.

Instead, you should download 1Password 4 from here. 1Password 4 will give you full edit capability with Dropbox vaults, and I think you should stick to it until 1Password 6 gets full edit capability. Follow the steps listed in this article to get started with Dropbox sync with 1Password 4.

• debuskjt
    debuskjt
    Community Member
    Options

Why on Earth would you release 1Password 6 out of beta and basically break the way everyone currently uses 1Password? I don't want my data in your cloud.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Why on Earth would you release 1Password 6 out of beta and basically break the way everyone currently uses 1Password?

@debuskjt: Because people using using the subscription service really needed to be able to use 1Password on Windows, not just macOS, iOS, and Android. So we've built a new native app to fill that need.

I don't want my data in your cloud.

No problem! You can continue using 1Password 4 as you have been. It's a mature app with full support for local vaults, and it isn't going anywhere. Cheers! :)

• muhkuh2005
    muhkuh2005
    Community Member
    Options

Mind me asking how high the priority of the dropbox feature is?
    I like the new design of 1Password 6 and I can add new logins within the MacOS Version of 1Password 6, but would prefer to do it on Windows too ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@muhkuh2005: It's a priority. A lot of work, of course, but it's very much something we're actively working toward.

• muhkuh2005
    muhkuh2005
    Community Member
    Options

Great news, wouldn't it be nice to have a tooltip mentioning the current lack of compatibility though?
    Actually I wondered about it since weeks now before I looked it up on the forums.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@muhkuh2005: Can you tell me more about the kind of "tooltip" you're looking for, and where? That sounds like it might not be very discoverable, and therefore perhaps not helpful. And to be clear, we don't sell licenses for 1Password for Windows version 6, so the only way it's offered is if you're a 1Password.com subscriber. Since that's supported fully already, I'm not sure about telling 1Password 4 customers not to use 1Password 6, when it's not being offered to them anyway. Does that make sense? I'd be interested to hear how you ended up using it in the first place.

• muhkuh2005
    muhkuh2005
    Community Member
    Options

Easy as it is, it's been all over the newsletters around the start of this year... Why would I stick to 1password 4 if 1password 6 has been released? One can stick to old programs but... Heck who is so stupid to still stick with Windows XP just because it still supports a Dial-Up Connections? Don't get me wrong, but if 1Password 6 isn't meant to be the successor to 1Password 4, why does it carry it's name?

"Tooltips" have been introduced in the early 90's. Every programmer knows them. They first appeared as "Balloon tips" under Mac Os and are little "popups" that appear once the user focuses the pointer to something.
    Nowadays "tooltips" are commonly used within every Webbrowser and every program that isn't intuitively made enough, but with the programmers noticing that and trying to make up for it.
    They appear once the user hovers the pointer over a menupoint, button, or input field.

As example, a tooltip could apear when the user hovers the "New Item" or "Edit" button that can't be clicked because of the lack of Dropbox integration.

I hope this message won't be taken offensive, as that wouldn't be the case to begin with. I just can't find other words to properly describe it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Easy as it is, it's been all over the newsletters around the start of this year... Why would I stick to 1password 4 if 1password 6 has been released? One can stick to old programs but... Heck who is so stupid to still stick with Windows XP just because it still supports a Dial-Up Connections? Don't get me wrong, but if 1Password 6 isn't meant to be the successor to 1Password 4, why does it carry it's name?

@muhkuh2005: Well...Windows XP is no longer supported, and is a lot older than 1Password 4, so I'm not sure that's an apt comparison. I think the best reason to stick with 1Password 4 is that you depend on local vaults. I use it for mine. It's the right tool for the job. :)

"Tooltips" have been introduced in the early 90's. Every programmer knows them. They first appeared as "Balloon tips" under Mac Os and are little "popups" that appear once the user focuses the pointer to something. Nowadays "tooltips" are commonly used within every Webbrowser and every program that isn't intuitively made enough, but with the programmers noticing that and trying to make up for it. They appear once the user hovers the pointer over a menupoint, button, or input field.

Right, that's what I thought you were talking about, and why I commented on the discoverability. Someone would have to hover the cursor over something long enough to even see it. So I question whether that would help many people.

As example, a tooltip could apear when the user hovers the "New Item" or "Edit" button that can't be clicked because of the lack of Dropbox integration.

This, however, is a good point. I'm not sure that the tooltip is enough, but a clearer indicator that the button is disabled would be helpful. I'm glad you mentioned that!

I hope this message won't be taken offensive, as that wouldn't be the case to begin with. I just can't find other words to properly describe it.

Not at all! I was trying to do the same earlier, and some of these things are just too abstract. I appreciate you for taking the time to explain where you're coming from here. It certainly helps. I'll bring this up with the team. :)

• poconnor
    poconnor
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having another version 6 issue with 1Password. The Windows Chrome extension updated to version 6 (I'm not sure how), and the new extension is pulling password data from a different password vault then what the version 4 extension was using. I suppose it's using the vault that was created in agilebit's cloud storage when I upgraded to the version 6 app last December, but was advised here to revert back to version 4 so that I can continue to use dropbox to host my password vault. Today I tried to reinstall version 4.6 of the browser extension using the file located here: (https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4) , but Chrome no longer allows the installation of extensions from sources other than their web store, and the Chrome web store only has version 6 of 1 password. Can version 4.6 be made available in the Chrome app store? Is there some other way to get version 4.6 installed with the current version of Chrome?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@poconnor: 1Password apps versions 4 through 6 all use extension versions 4.x, which are current, which you can install from the Chrome web store or from our site (which is really just linking to the Chrome web store):

1Password browser extensions

There is no version 6 extension. Are you trying to use the standalone 1Password for Windows version 4, or the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app with a 1Password.com membership? Do you have both apps installed for some reason? Let me know!

This discussion has been closed.