How long will you guys support 1Password 7 on Mac?

Options

Hi,

I am just checking out how long the team will support 1Password 7 for Mac? Will it be deprecated when 1Password 8 officially releases? If so, please consider support 1Password 7 longer as many people need time to get used to the new app, which changes many things.

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

Comments

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

I think the official line is once 1P8 is out of beta then 1P7 will only get critical security fixes.

• m4rkw
    m4rkw
    Community Member
    Options

I would happily pay a subscription to continue being able to use 1Password 7 indefinitely. In the absence of that I'll be switching to another service and AB will get zero of my monies.

• claus
    claus
    Community Member
    Options

I guess it will be like we have with other apps. We hear "Yes, we support the former version with important updates".
    But in the end it makes no sense to maintain an old version. So, we have to switch to v8, or leave 1Pwd.
    Agile left v7 and invested lots of time and money into v8. So it makes no sense to support v7 for a "longer" time.

• bilan
    bilan
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I'll leave the boat as soon as I can't use my 1P v7.
    1Password was the first app I bought when I jumped in the Apple world.

At least, when I'll switch, I will finally get the simple subdomain-match function discussed here https://1password.community/discussion/121336/how-to-prevent-several-suggestions#latest

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

FYI: v7 is already in “Maintenance Mode” since 1-Apr-2020…

Source: AgileBits

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@XIII - you're right that's what Michael Fey (aka mrrooni around these parts) said in that blog post, and it is accurate. But "maintenance mode" isn't quite the same thing as what happens to old versions when a new full version is officially released. For example, the release record for 1Password 7 for Mac since April 1, 2020, has been as follows:

Granted, those last few were incremental releases focusing on feature parity with the upcoming version 8, but that's four point-releases and seven incremental updates to 1Password 7 for Mac since April of 2020.

By contrast, the final update of 1Password 6 for Mac was on May 18, 2018 - the same day 1Password 7 for Mac was released - and there have been no further updates to version 6 since that time. Should there be critical security issues discovered, updates will be issued to legacy versions, but development work on 1Password 7 for Mac did not stop in April of 2020. It is likely to once 1Password 8 for Mac is released, just as past versions have when new versions are released.

To be clear, those older versions will still work on the combination of operating system and browser(s) for which they were originally designed. If you still have a Mac running Snow Leopard and a concurrent version of Safari or other browser, for example, you can fire up 1Password 3 for Mac on it, and expect it to work mostly as it did back then. I say "mostly," because even preserved in amber like that, the Dropbox API that allowed for sync in 1Password 3 for Mac was deprecated by Dropbox years ago, so even if you did have such a Mac somewhere in your house, Dropbox sync in 1Password 3 for Mac would not work due to the passing of time and change in underlying systems.

And if, like most people, you continue to upgrade your hardware, version of macOS, and your browser(s), 1Password 7 for Mac will continue to work with both 1password.com accounts and standalone vaults and advanced syncing...but there will be increasing incompatibilities over time as technologies used in those areas continue to develop and older code is retired.

• itt21
    itt21
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thanks for your reply. So will 1Password 7 at least run on macOS 12? The release date of 1Password 8 is quite close to macOS 12. I don't plan to migrate to 1PW8 anytime sooner before its feature and UI being well polished. So I want to see 1PW7 at least work for a few months after the 1PW8 release on the latest macOS.

• @itt21 1Password 7 will run on macOS 12 and we will certainly support it for as much as we can. We do this for all our apps. Just to give you an example, we are getting ready to update the mobile apps to support breaking changes in the Dropbox API coming in September.

• itt21
    itt21
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem Thank you! That's definitely great news!

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member
    Options

Definitely good news. Maybe we can outlast 8 like some did with Arq’s Electron misstep

• 1pwuser
    1pwuser
    Community Member
    Options

@sriggins 🤞🏽😁

• Ben
    Options

Indeed; we even have a blog post on that subject. 😁

1Password is ready for macOS Monterey

Ben

This discussion has been closed.