Support Biometric Login for Go/Node/Python SDKs

Options

I am writing some command line utilities written in Go that help automate some tasks that our developers have to do every sprint. They are executed on the developers' local machines and so the utilities need to pull secrets from 1pw in order to authenticate with the different systems they talk to.

In order to do this, I shell out from the Go code and make a call to op using the os/exec Go package like so:

cmd := exec.Command("op", "read", "op://...")
    stdout, err := cmd.Output()

if err != nil {
        fmt.Println(err.Error())
        return
    }

This is a much simpler way of integration with applications than with the Connect SDK, especially if the developers have Biometric Login enabled in their 1pw app on their machine. Not only does this mean I don't have to go through the trouble of setting up a Connect server, but I don't have to go through the process of creating connect API tokens for everyone.

The only downside is I have to call op by using the shell. It would be nice if there was an SDK that I could integrate with directly, that would just use the authentication from the local 1pw desktop app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hello @wheelerlaw,
    Thank you very much for reaching out to us. 1Password CLI relies on the desktop app for biometric unlocking, and we don’t have a plan for 1Password CLI to use biometrics without the desktop app integration.

However, I am happy to say that we will soon release a new feature for 1Password CLI called Service Account that lets 1Password CLI connect with vaults in your account using an access token for full automation without deploying connect server.

I don’t have an ETA for this new feature, but you can go here for more information and updates.

Thank you for using 1Password. Please stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features.

• wheelerlaw
    wheelerlaw
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Nhat,

Perhaps there is a little confusions here. I was not asking that the 1Password CLI use biometrics without the desktop app. I am asking for the Go/Node/Python SDKs be able to rely on the desktop app much like the CLI does so I can develop client-side workflow integrations for my developers.

This discussion has been closed.