Browser extension for (Brave, Chrome, Firefox) no longer integrates with 1Password app (no Touch ID)

Options
2»

Comments

• dardenlinux
    dardenlinux
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. MikeT's json file fix worked for me, but I'd just like to point out that I'm getting a little frustrated with recent updates to 1Password. I've had more issues with 1Password since updating to 8.x than in the previous 6 years of using the product. While all issues have so far been addressed eventually, it seems like a lot more bugs have been slipping past QA recently and quite frankly I do not believe v8 was ready for prime time when released. I've felt like I've been beta testing ever since installing it, and while I am sometimes OK with being an early adopter, I prefer to know that's the case beforehand. For a utility that's supposed to be mostly invisible to the user, it is unacceptable to be asking users to fix json typos and whatnot in (ostensibly) a non-beta product. It's shaken my faith in 1Password and I do plan to try out competitors for the first time ever when my contract comes up for renewal.

• David Cher
    David Cher
    Community Member
    Options

after restarting my machine the same issue kept coming back

• DJRiful
    DJRiful
    Community Member
    Options

@eastwest No one is stopping you, but LastPass has several breaches with stolen customer passwords. One recently if you missed out on the news.

• eastwest
    eastwest
    Community Member
    Options

Stopping me from what? Are you confusing me with someone?

• mashuma
    mashuma
    Community Member
    Options

Instead of manually updating the json file, one can do following terminal command for a quick fix (Chromium browsers, e.g. Google Chrome, Brave etc).
    One could do same for Firefox by updating the json path with the one used by FF's extension.

sed -i '' s'/MacOS.MacOS/MacOS/' ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/com.1password.1password.json

then restart browser.

What the one-liner does is it would in-place update the specified file by replacing the MacOS/MacOS bit with MacOS. It does not have any effect on a working file.

• metahome
    metahome
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Persistent Workaround?

All... please be guided by what the 1Password team says, as they are the authority, but I think I have found a simpler more persistent fix until a patched version appears.

I just opened a terminal window, went to /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Browser Helper.app/Contents/MacOS

cd /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password\ Browser\ Helper.app/Contents/MacOS

then I created a symbolic link:

ln -s . MacOS

This allows the pathname with the "double MacOS' in it to work and the fact that the config file gets overwritten by starting 1Password makes no difference.

I think you will find it is a more persistent fix to the problem until it is patched.

• philb74
    philb74
    Community Member
    Options

Instead of manually updating the json file, one can do following terminal command for a quick fix (Chromium browsers, e.g. Google Chrome, Brave etc).
    One could do same for Firefox by updating the json path with the one used by FF's extension.

sed -i '' s'/MacOS.MacOS/MacOS/' ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/com.1password.1password.json
    then restart browser.

What the one-liner does is it would in-place update the specified file by replacing the MacOS/MacOS bit with MacOS. It does not have any effect on a working file.

Thx! Solution from @mashuma worked for me.

• JanHavlicek
    JanHavlicek
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Could you get Opera addon working again as before please... (integration with 1P App). Thank you

• maxelman
    maxelman
    Community Member
    Options

Solution from @metahome works for me. Thank you

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member
    Options

I am seeing some red flags about your testing and bug smashing process.

Alas, I have to agree. To be clear, I don't have any of the hate I see from other users here for v8. It works well for me and I (mostly) like the UI. But how can a bug like this slip through your (hopefully existing) testers. Chrome is the most widely used browser. Shouldn't you have at least one guy doing nothing but testing new versions of 1P with Chrome? How could he or she not have noticed that the browser extension wouldn't unlock????

• Enceladus
    Enceladus
    Community Member
    Options

Happy to say @MikeT 's temp fix removing the extra MacOS/ in the JSON path works perfectly, and I can confirm the problem doesn't affect Safari. I do hope this can be actually fixed soon though — I had a couple family members (whom I just moved over from LastPass) already getting confused by this. It makes a poor impression when they see a bug so soon after starting to use 1Password. I understand as a developer and sysadmin that this is just a little typo in a config file and doesn't reflect on the overall stability or security of 1P, but those distinctions are lost on less technical folks.

It does seem like auto-unlock should be included in an acceptance test somewhere in the extension build pipeline.

• djarsky
    djarsky
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

I just opened a terminal window, went to /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Browser Helper.app/Contents/MacOS

cd /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password\ Browser\ Helper.app/Contents/MacOS

then I created a symbolic link:

ln -s . MacOS

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/674190#Comment_674190

Thank you, @metahome! This worked perfectly!

-David

• snarf04
    snarf04
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

In case anyone is using Vivaldi (Chrome based), the path to make @MikeT changes is: .../Library/Application Support/Vivaldi/NativeMessagingHosts/.

• Don234
    Don234
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

I am using Edge (latest version on my Mac) and metahome's fix worked. Thanks.

• NCJayG
    NCJayG
    Community Member
    Options

It appears that 8.9.15 has been released, and for me has resolved this issue in Edge on a Mac.

• antro31
    antro31
    Community Member
    Options

I confirm. Issue solved on Chrome / Firefox and Brave on Mac.

• Hi folks,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, we were working on this all weekend. As some of you have noticed, we just shipped the 1Password for Mac 8.9.15 build to fix this issue. (Windows and Linux versions were not affected).

We shipped a quick fix on the nightly channel a few hours of this report on Saturday afternoon and then we wanted to triple check nothing else was affected before we ship the final and tested fix on the stable channel.

We have added more steps to our QA workflow to prevent this from happening again.

• bravouniform
    bravouniform
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, this fixes the issue in Firefox, but I am still having the issue in Safari Technology Preview (not a big deal as it's not my daily driver, but wanted to report in case that is related to any additional issues).

• owenw4rd
    owenw4rd
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

@MikeT macOS 1P version 8.9.15 fixed the issue for me on both Firefox and Chrome browsers. Safari continues to work as before.

Thanks for the quick response!

• ijpooledc
    ijpooledc
    Community Member
    Options

The solution from @MikeT seems to work for me so far, going into the com.1password.1password.json file and deleting the redundant /MacOS folder reference in the path line /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Browser Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password-BrowserSupport.

• DJRiful
    DJRiful
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the hard work @MikeT !

• On behalf of 1Password team, you're welcome. We're glad to hear it is now working for you.

• stoutZero
    stoutZero
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

uh... how am I supposed to follow this thread? by posting in it? hopefully? and bookmarking it? yeah... let's also bookmark this page...

nvm, the desktop app is updating to 8.9.15, after a manual update check...

• drewe20001
    drewe20001
    Community Member
    Options

Even if some of these user suggested hacks work.... what about 1Password 7?

So we are left using a version that's unsupported but also can be broken by updates you are continuing to release for 1Password 8?

That's pretty crummy. I don't really understand the interconnectedness, so it's possible that I'm not understanding correctly. I do know that I'm using 1Password 7 because version 8 simply would not work for me yet, and I hit this same bug at the same time everyone else did.

The difficulty this particular bug in the browsers caused all of your users is a different flavor of my entire experience using 1Password 8. It made using my computer unbearable. And now, suddenly, 1Password 7 constantly locks in the browser (and unlocks slooowly) and the app constantly forces itself to the front.

At the same time I know you have dropped it for essentially all support and don't plan to fix any bugs or add any features, what you succeeded in doing here is causing the same big problem for users of 1Password 7 but only fixing it in an update for 1Password 8.

So unless we want to rely on a hack posted in the forum, or suffer through a bug (the type of which is the REASON I had to downgrade to 1Password 7), you have found a way to force us to update to 1Password 8. I honestly don't know which version is more disruptive to using the application for me.

• chmars2022
    chmars2022
    Community Member
    Options

The browser extensions in connection with 1Password 7 are still broken. We cannot update to 1Password 8 because it is not available in the App Store.

• @drewe20001,

I'm sorry for the delay. It sounds like although the issue is with the connection between 1Password and your browser the cause may be different here. I'd love to help get things working for you and also hear your feedback on why 1Password 8 doesn't work for you at this time. We'd really appreciate it if you could send your feedback along with a console log from your browser and a diagnostics report and our team will be able to further assist.

@chmars2022 could you also send over the above so we can take a look at what might be going wrong?

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• ltptnt
    ltptnt
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi, I was also running into a similar issue with Brave Browser Beta (Version 1.52.100 Chromium: 113.0.5672.92 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)) on Fedora 38 and fixed this issue by copying the file using the following commands:

cp ~/.config/chromium/NativeMessagingHosts/com.1password.1password.json ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser-Beta/NativeMessagingHosts
    and
    cp ~/.config/chromium/NativeMessagingHosts/com.1password.1password.json ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/NativeMessagingHosts.

No idea if this is what solved the issue as I was unfortunately doing a number of troubleshooting steps simultaneously.

I thought I should put this here in case it helped anyone.

• Thank you for sharing this @ltptnt, let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

This discussion has been closed.