1Password CLI missing feature

Options
glenngs
glenngs
Community Member

I been using 1Password for several years, but for my Linux hosts I been using gopass. The other day I figured I should give 1Password CLI a try, but find it a bit cumbersome to use. Is it me that do not understand how to use 1Password CLI or does it miss some features and need to be simplified?

For example when I use gopass I can type "gopass netf" and it will show me a list of all entries that match netf where I can choose one of them by pressing the number for the entry I want unless there is a exact match and it will show med the password of that entry right away. When using 1Password CLI I would have to type "op item get netf --fields password" to get the passord so a lot more to type, and it doesn't even work because 1Password CLI require an exact match. Of course the long syntax can be solved easily by creating a script so I can fix that one on my own, but 1Password require and exact match which make it a bit useless when I got 400 entries where I do not remember the exact match for each of them.

So it would be really nice if the command "op item get netf --fields password" would return the password for entries that contain netf (for example "Netflix", "netflix", "my Netflix" etc). Also it would be nice if I could just type "op netf" as well to get the password as a default field to return, but this is more like a nice to have since I can fix that on my own with a script.

Where is the right place make such a feature request that would make the CLI much more usable.

1Password Version: 2.14.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.2.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• glenngs
    glenngs
    Community Member
    Options

In addition I would like to add offline mode and support for Yubikey. I use 1Password at home and think it's great so I would really like to suggest 1Password for my company as well, but these missing features would be a requirement for us to consider 1Password as an option. 1Password is great, but the 1Password CLI is not good enough at the moment to compete with the best.

This discussion has been closed.