Solution for 1Password locking itself constantly despite auto-lock settings disabled

Options
dewberry
dewberry
Community Member
edited April 2023 in Mac

For the past several months I've been frustrated with 1Password on Firefox locking itself seemingly at random despite disabling the auto-lock settings. I assumed this was due to another bug with the browser add-on integration, but it looks like it was from reflexively using the "Quit 1Password" menu item instead of "Close" with the main 1Password app. I think this is bad UX considering there's already an item to lock 1Password and most users probably do this by accident. Perhaps it would be better to have two menu items like Fantastical, e.g. "Quit 1Password" (which would be the same functionality as "Close") and "Quit 1Password Completely" (which would work like Quit does currently, and not be tied to the Command-Q shortcut).

In the meantime, you can disable the shortcut with the following Terminal command:

$ defaults write com.1password.1password NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add "Quit 1Password" "\0"

It should look like this when done, and not show any shortcut:

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to assign two keyboard shortcuts (Command-Q and Command-W) to the Close menu bar item, so this requires not using Command-Q.

Recent related posts:

1Password Version: 8.10.4 (81004032)
Extension Version: 2.9.0
OS Version: macOS 13.3.1
Browser:_ Firefox 112.0.1

Comments

• Hello @dewberry! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password isn't locking as expected on your Mac. That definitely shouldn't be happening and I know that we have a couple of different issues that might be related that our development team is currently investigating. Could you reproduce the issue one more time, note when exactly 1Password locked, and then send in a diagnostics report so that we could look into what might be happening on your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

In the meantime, you can disable the shortcut with the following Terminal command:

Thanks for posting the suggestion and I'm happy that you've found a path forward that works for you! As always, I urge everyone to use caution when modifying 1Password or running Terminal commands as these steps haven’t been thoroughly reviewed or tested by our team and are not supported.

-Dave

• dewberry
    dewberry
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

I'll upload a diagnostic report later today. The steps are very easy to reproduce:

1. Disable Auto-lock under Settings > Security > Auto-lock. Uncheck "Lock on sleep, screensaver, or switching users, and set "Lock after computer is idle for" to Never.
    2. Quit 1Password via 1Password > Quit 1Password or Command-Q.
    3. Open 1Password. It will now be locked, as will the browser extension even if it remained open the whole time.

The above workaround works well enough for me that I've been able to re-enable the auto-lock settings without the app becoming unusable.

If you want to use a command that doesn't modify the 1Password preferences plist (~/Library/Preferences/com.1password.1password.plist), you can try the following:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add "Quit 1Password" "\0"

You can also set your own keyboard shortcut without using the Terminal under System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts… > App Shortcuts. I couldn't find a way to disable it altogether with this method, though.

• dewberry
    dewberry
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, submitted the diagnostic report, support ID is #CEZ-97572-629.

• @dewberry

Thank you.

ref: CEZ-97572-629

• dewberry
    dewberry
    Community Member
    Options

I should also mention that this is only a partial workaround because you can still Command-Q the app via the Command-Tab app switcher, which causes it to lock.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks @dewberry

I'll get that mentioned to the team.

ref: dev/core/core#16683

• dewberry
    dewberry
    Community Member
    Options

The latest update (8.10.7) seems to have made this worse. Closing the main window now quits the app, so the above workaround is no longer an option. The following common flow with the browser add-on is very frustrating, especially on computers without Touch ID:

1. Open browser, unlock 1Password to login to site.
    2. Open 1Password app, for example to add a new login, or search for a recently added login that hasn't yet been synced.
    3. Close the 1Password app, previously by Command-Q, now by either Command-Q or Command-W.
    4. The 1Password browser add-on and app are both now locked again.

This is reproducible on both Firefox and Safari.

• dewberry
    dewberry
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like this bug occurs only when "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" is disabled. For now I've enabled this setting, and am hiding the menu bar icon with Dozer.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@dewberry

This was indeed a change that was made in the latest update to 1Password. The previous behaviour was technically a bug that was fixed in version 8.10.7. 1Password's locking behaviour is more consistent across the board now and more closely resembles what folks were already used to from previous versions of 1Password. Turning "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" on if you'd like 1Password to continue running unlocked in the background when the main window is closed is the best option.

Our developers are looking into further refining how 1Password locks in the future.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#9557

This discussion has been closed.