Generating Memorable Passwords in other languages

Options
johnnygoodface
johnnygoodface
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Mac

I love the Memorable Password generator as it creates easier to type passwords, but it does so using English words only. Since I'm French, you can see the issue here.

• Can you add a language option for the generator?
  • Can it be independent of the OS (in my case I set MacOS in English, but I would still much prefer French generated passwords)

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.9 (81009045)
Extension Version: 2.13.1
OS Version: 13.4.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2023
    Options

Thanks @johnnygoodface

I can say that is a new suggestion and one I've not previously seen. I'll get this before the team for review. Thank you for that suggestion.

ref: PB-34479035

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

@ag_tommy It has been mentioned before, but turned down. I was very disappointed about that, because the fixed English language in generated memorable passwords makes me not use it. A memorable password becomes a very personal thing, and in a different language than my mother tongue it will never become "my" password, so I'm unable to use them.

https://1password.community/discussion/101634/password-generator-with-german-or-other-words

https://1password.community/discussion/110825/password-generator-of-limited-use-due-to-missing-features-other-languages-up-lower-case-number

Well, there's one foreign language I would accept, and that's Latin. Latin is neutral and universal. At least within the western culture.

Or provide a tool that reads an arbitrary text and extracts the right amount of dictionary words and ensures proper distribution and entropy, so we can create our own dictionary.

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2023
    Options

Oh, my bad if it's been turned down. I filed another request anyway. I'll keep filing so they know it's important to y'all. Thanks @Tertius3

Hey, you mention Latin. It's been several decades since I last took Latin class. Magister and Agricola and Amote are a few of the words I recall without having to think on it. Yep, it's been so long it's all slipping away. Oh, you've done it now. πŸ™‚ I'm trying to remember my stage name in our Latin play. God, I can recall the outfit I wore but not my stage name. It goes in a Secure Note when I remember it. Thanks for this. It brought up some fun memories of days bygone.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, @Tertius3 ! Thanks for pointing to my created discussion. πŸ‘

so they know it's important to y'all

That's still very important. Some days ago, I created logins for my kids and wanted to use memorable passwords. I did so, but I had to use English words instead of German words. But we are not able to remember these words ... πŸ€”

So, again +1 from me, @ag_tommy . πŸ˜‰

• @DenalB

Thank you again for the feedback. I've let the team know that you're still hoping to see the word list be expanded to other languages. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-35655807

This discussion has been closed.