Windows Hello overrides 1Password browser passkey authentication on Chrome

Options
BlindWolf8
BlindWolf8
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello,
Similar to the topics here and here, I am having an issue with the 1Password browser extension being overridden by an OS-level prompt for passkey authentication, in my case Windows Hello.

My setup as of the date/time of this post:

• OS, stable channel: WIndows 11 v22H2 (OS Build 22621.2361)
  • Browser, canary channel: Chrome version 120.0.6047.3 (Official Build) canary (64-bit)
  • 1Password Desktop, nightly channel: 1Password for Windows 8.10.18 (81018028)
  • 1Password Chrome browser extension, beta channel: 1Password in the browser 2.16.0 (21600001)

Issue:
When visiting a website that has support for passkeys and a passkey was previously set up with 1Password before, 1Password authentication is overridden by Windows Hello asking to authenticate indirectly via a QR code used in conjunction with a mobile device or a physical security key. Using a mobile device to authenticate (for biometrics, etc.) simply stores a passkey on the PC performing the login and does not store it in 1Password or use 1Password whatsoever. This causes me to have to remove the passkey from my PC.

Looking at my passkey creation history, passkey authentication was working fine as of September 20th. I realize a number of factors are at play on all software listed above and would have changed in varying amounts since that time (e.g., how frequently system/browser was restarted to apply updates, etc.). For good measure I uninstalled and reinstalled the 1Password browser extension prior to posting this message just in case the extension didn't grab any updates from the Chrome Web Store.

Any Windows Updates since Sep 20 2023 that may have caused this change:

I would assume we can blame KB5030310 since that added passkey support and Microsoft is being a bit too overzealous. :-)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 1Password Desktop, nightly channel: 1Password for
Extension Version: 1Password Chrome browser extension, beta channel:
OS Version: OS, stable channel: WIndows 11 v22H2 (OS Build 226
Browser: Browser, canary channel: Chrome version 120.0.6047

Comments