"No items to show" covers page content, making forms tedious to fill

Options
d9a
d9a
Community Member
edited April 29 in 1Password in the Browser

This issue has been mentioned a few times before, but still persists years later.

Most of the times it's been brought up, someone has indicated that there's an open internal feature request to add an option to remove this obstructive message, but as far as I can tell there hasn't been any progress. Additionally, while I'm generally a big advocate of providing lots of settings to toggle features, I don't actually see why this should even be an option to turn on: when autofill suggestions are enabled, showing a normal 1Password icon within the text field with no corresponding popup (the state you get into after manually dismissing one of these things) sends exactly the same message to the user: 1Password has instrumented this field, but has nothing to fill in it. I'd be a bit surprised if there's really people out there with a specific preference to always have the next field of every form they're filling out covered by a large static message that's not actionable in any way. I mention this because simply deleting the code is almost certainly a lot less work than adding an option to toggle the behavior, and I suspect development time is going to be the reason given for why intrusive usability issues like this one haven't been prioritized. There is no doubt in my mind that I've personally lost more time to this single behavior of 1Password over the years than it would take me to remove the feature from the extension entirely if I had access to the unminified source code.

Previous official responses have also mentioned various ways to dismiss this popup when it appears, but those suggestions miss the point: it serves no purpose, and simply shouldn't appear in the first place. Additionally, when filling out forms with many fields, it must be dismissed every single time you move to another field, even if you've already dismissed it for that field a few seconds earlier, so manually dismissing it over and over again is still a big chore. As has also been mentioned before, the simplest method of dismissing the popup, pressing Esc, also often interferes with other functionality on the page, so it's often a requirement to use the mouse to get it out of the way, which is bad for both accessibility and my general sanity.

Is there any hope of any action being taken on this longstanding issue in the foreseeable future?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.23.1
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @d9a! 👋

Thank you for the feedback. The team has heard the feedback and is currently rolling out a new inline filling menu that is less intrusive:

With the new version, if 1Password isn't able to suggest an item, you'll see a small tooltip appear rather than a large message in the inline filling menu dropdown itself. The new inline filling menu is currently being rolled out in stages to folks using the latest stable version of 1Password in the browser (2.23.3): How to keep 1Password up to date in your browser

Review times for the update will vary across browsers, and you might not see the menu immediately after updating to 2.23.3, but keep your eye out for this change and let me know what you think once you've given it a try. 🙂

-Dave

• d9a
    d9a
    Community Member
    Options

I've started seeing the new inline menu the past few days, but very intermittently, often flipping back and forth between the two designs between every page load. I had to check and make sure I didn't have multiple copies of the extension installed or something.

It's... certainly an improvement. The new icon feels a little uncanny, like it's somehow both larger and smaller at the same time, and it's also awkward that the rotating chevron icon that so strongly indicates "click here to expand and see more content" is still present when there's no items to show, and doesn't expand anything when clicked. But the tooltip doesn't singlehandedly cover entire other input fields, at least that I've seen so far, and that alone really makes a difference.

I do still think the experience could be cleaned up further by removing the message entirely when first focusing a field. While I can't speak for other users, nearly 100% of the time I see this message, it's when I'm in a field that I had no expectation of 1Password filling anything in, so any message that pops up at all is redundant. With the new dual-icon layout, I could see the message being conveyed just as clearly by simply changing the icon to an X or ?, something like:

Clicking the icon could then toggle the tooltip as a second-level reminder, rather than the current slightly passive-aggressive behavior that shakes the tooltip at you. That would also make the new second icon feel a bit more useful if it's being used to clean up the UI, rather than the dual icons feeling like they themselves are just new clutter.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@d9a

I'm happy that the new option works better for you, I'll pass your feedback along to the team. You mentioned:

I've started seeing the new inline menu the past few days, but very intermittently, often flipping back and forth between the two designs between every page load. I had to check and make sure I didn't have multiple copies of the extension installed or something.

Do you still see the issue after restarting your browser? If you do then can you tell me what browser you're using and provide an example of a page where you're seeing the 1Password render inconsistently?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave