Getting Started with 1Password 4 for iOS, general questions

Options
hansbraul
hansbraul
Community Member
edited March 2014 in iOS

Sorry for such a basic question, but I've read all the getting started stuff and either I'm just dense, or it's not clear.
I have installed 1Password4 on my macbook, and want to synch to my iMac iPhone and iPad using dropbox. I synched to dropbox. Now how do I get 1Password installed on my phone without paying an additional $19? I thought once I bought 1Password, I had it for all my devices and computers?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hansbraul,

I do apologize for the confusion here. 1Password licenses are platform-specific, so a 1Password 4 license for Mac will let you install 1Password 4 on as many Macs as you personally use, but you will need to purchase the iOS app separately. Because we offer 1Password on so many platforms, we have found that having platform-specific licensing allows us to give users the lowest prices for the platforms that they want to use 1Password on, without charging them for platforms that they may not need. The good news 1Password 4 for iOS is a universal app and will work great on both your iPhone and iPad, provided they are both capable of running iOS 6+. You can check out 1Password 4 for iOS here: http://j.mp/1PasCS

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

• hansbraul
    hansbraul
    Community Member
    Options

Solved - thanks!

• Daniela
    Daniela
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I am sorry if I am redundant but I am not 100% sure I get it…

"1Password 4 license for Mac will let you install 1Password 4 on as many Macs as you personally use."
    So why is there a family license ?

Do you confirm that if I have a Mac desktop and a Mac laptop or two Mac laptops for example I just need one license ?!

"The good news 1Password 4 for iOS is a universal app and will work great on both your iPhone and iPad"

Do I need to purchase two licenses if I have one iPhone and one iPad ?!

Thank you in advance for your precisions !

Regards,

Daniela.

• @Daniela

"1Password 4 license for Mac will let you install 1Password 4 on as many Macs as you personally use." So why is there a family license ?

A single user license can be installed by one person on any Mac they personally use. A family license can be used by up to five users, valid for family members living in the same household.

For example:

You and your spouse use 1Password on the family iMac.

You and your spouse each needs a license. (Family license is the best value!)

You alone use 1Password on your home iMac and work Macbook.

You only need one single user license.

Do I need to purchase two licenses if I have one iPhone and one iPad ?!

You can install the iOS app on any iPhones or iPads you own (as long as they are using the same Apple ID).

Hope that helps! :D

• Daniela
    Daniela
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Thank you for your answer but because I am "slow" I need a precision…

"You and your spouse use 1Password on the family iMac. You and your spouse each needs a license. (Family license is the best value!)"

You mean there are two people and each one of them has his own session and his own Apple Id so 2 licenses are required ?

Now if I have an iMac and a Macbook I will use a specific session on each one of them (so two sessions) but only one Apple Id for both computers. Then I need only one license.

Should I understand this is the way it works ? Number of licenses means number of Apple Ids ?

Thanks in advance, Regards.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Daniela,

I do apologize for the confusion here. @JasperP is right. 1Password licenses are per-user and per-platform, which means that each user requires a separate license for each platform that they want to use 1Password on. If, however, you and your spouse want to share all of your password data on the family computer, you could probably get by with a single-user licence for Mac from our website store. If you are purchasing via the Mac App Store, you can get the equivalent of a family license (which by our store guidelines allows 5 family members to install 1Password on as many computers as they personally use) by simply installing 1Password 4 on all family computers using the same AppleID. Keep in mind that the AppleID will need to be entered every time there is an update. :)

I hope this helps to clear things up, but if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask (I know licensing can be tricky.)

• Daniela
    Daniela
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I am sorry but NOW this is not clear at all !

Jasper wrote:

"You alone use 1Password on your home iMac and work Macbook.
    You only need ONE single user license."

You wrote:

" @JasperP is right. 1Password licenses are per-user and per-platform, which means that EACH user requires a SEPARATE license for EACH platform that they want to use 1Password on"

Sorry but for me you JUST wrote the opposite of what Jasper wrote. I understand your sentence "a SEPARATE license for EACH platform" as: you need a license for your Macbook and another license for your iMac. Then you need two licenses. And if you are two people then you need two more licenses.

May be you wanted to write: "EACH user requires a SEPARATE license whatever the number of platforms they each use."

Anyway I have a Macbook and an iMac. I am a "mono-gamo-single-lonely-personal-I-myself" user (call me whatever you want). Do I need only one license for these two computers ? If tomorrow I buy a Mac Pro will I be able to use this only one license for this third machine ?

Same question with iPad and iPhone. Only one license (not the same than the one for computers I got it) ? If tomorrow I buy an iPad mini will I be able to use this only one license for this third machine ?

May be the misunderstanding comes from the word "Platform". Is for you OSX for computers one platform and iOS for iPad/iPod/iPhone another platform ?

Regards,
    Daniela.

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

@Daniela I think your confusion might be coming from a varying definition of "platform".

1Password is available for OS X, iOS, Windows, and Android. Each are a separate platform, therefore 1Password is sold as a separate app on each. I'm think that's what @Megan meant by "platform".

1Password licenses are per-user and per-platform.

A 1Password for Mac single license will work only on the OS X platform. But you may use the single license on as many Macs as you personally use 1Password for Mac on.

A 1Password for Mac family license will also work only on the OS X platform. But up to five separate users may use the family license on as many Macs as they want to use 1Password for Mac on.

Anyway I have a Macbook and an iMac. I am a "mono-gamo-single-lonely-personal-I-myself" user (call me whatever you want). Do I need only one license for these two computers ? If tomorrow I buy a Mac Pro will I be able to use this only one license for this third machine ?

You may use one single 1Password for Mac license on both your Macbook and iMac. If you buy a Mac Pro tomorrow, you can use it there too.

If there was somebody else in your household who also wants to use 1Password, they would need to purchase their own license - or alternatively you could both use a family license. But this only applies when there are two different users.

Same question with iPad and iPhone. Only one license (not the same than the one for computers I got it) ? If tomorrow I buy an iPad mini will I be able to use this only one license for this third machine ?

Licensing is a bit different on iOS because Apple is selling the app, not AgileBits. The app is licensed to the Apple ID it was purchased with. Any device using that Apple ID can install 1Password for iOS. The app is universal (works for iPhone and iPad).

So if you have an iPhone, iPad air, and iPad mini that are all signed into the App Store with the same Apple ID, then you only need to purchase 1Password for iOS once.

An example: You personally use 1Password on your Macbook, iMac, iPhone, and iPad mini. You need a 1Password for Mac single user license, and a copy of 1Password for iOS from the App Store.

Hope that clears things up a bit. :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

If there was somebody else in your household who also wants to use 1Password, they would need to purchase their own license - or alternatively you could both use a family license. But this only applies when there are two different users.

And here I take it that "user" means "human being".

I'm one of the people who has both an admin and a non-admin account on my Mac. I think that some software developers would regard that as two users.

• And here I take it that "user" means "human being".

Megan would have to answer that for sure, but I'm quite sure that's what AgileBits means by user. I think a user is one person, not one "user account".

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @danco,

Yes, "user" is our technical term for "human being." You certainly do not need to buy a separate license for the two accounts that you use on your Mac. With a single-user license Mac license (for example), you can install 1Password on as many Macs (or as many accounts on your Macs) as you personally use.

I hope this helps to clarify things, I do apologize if it was confusing.

and @JasperP,

Thanks for helping to clarify 'platforms'! I hope this has helped you @Daniela, I do apologize if my explanation was too technical. Licensing can be a messy issue. :)

• timsquires
    timsquires
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I have purchased a family license for my wife and I, but I can't find any instructions on how to set up her account/ password etc. Could you please point me in the right direction? Many thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @timsquires,

Our Installation Guide is a great place to start. Of course, if you run into any snags in the process, please let me know where things are going sideways and I'd be happy to provide some more details! :)

• Daniela
    Daniela
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Thank you all for your explanation/help !

I think a short glossary would have helped for a better understanding. Or may be some more examples of situations a household can present.

Just my 2 cents.
    Have a great week-end folks !

Daniela.

• Daniela
    Daniela
    Community Member
    Options

Anyway one point is still not clear...

Yes, "user" is our technical term for "human being." You certainly do not need to buy a separate license for the two accounts that you use on your Mac. With a single-user license Mac license (for example), you can install 1Password on as many Macs (or as many accounts on your Macs) as you personally use.

Then how the computer/1Password software is able to make the difference between one single human being and several human beings ?

Thanks.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@Daniela

Then how the computer/1Password software is able to make the difference between one single human being and several human beings ?

Honesty is the real answer to that question. AgileBits trusts their users to do whats right.

• Daniela
    Daniela
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I see.

Initially I thought it was linked with Apple Id.

Fair enough.

Thanks for honest answer.

And being alone I don't need not to be honest ;-)

Regards.

• @Daniela

Initially I thought it was linked with Apple Id.

That's correct for purchases from the Mac App Store or iOS App Store. Not from the AgileBits web store though.

• timsquires
    timsquires
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @megan,
    Thanks - I already have 1Password up and running for me, but I don't know how to add my wife into the account - still can't find anything in the installation guide that is specific to family licenses/accounts. Any further tips? Much appreciated, many thanks, Tim

• Jasper
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hey @timsquires,

What step in the installation guide are you running into trouble at?

Not sure exactly what issue you're experiencing. Are you trying to get her app licensed? Attempting to setup 1Password on her own user account? Trying to setup multiple/shared vaults?

Please provide a few more details and someone will help you get everything sorted out. :)

• timsquires
    timsquires
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @JasperP,
    Thanks, I followed the installation guide without any problems when I set up my own personal trail of 1Password. When the trial ended I decided to invest in the family license so that my wife could use it too - but I'm not sure what I need to do to accomplish that. Of the options that you have listed, I'm guessing that it's number 2 : set up 1Password on her own user account. My apologies for not understanding - it's a bit confusing for a newcomer :) I appreciate your help.

• @timsquires If your wife has a separate user account on the same Mac, you should be able to open 1Password from the applications folder on her account and follow the same setup procedure as you did to setup your own. Then, just like yourself, select the license file that you purchased from the 1Password 4 > License... menu option.

• timsquires
    timsquires
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @JasperP, we don't have separate user accounts for our Mac - it's easier for us to just use my account. Does that mean that we have to have set up separate Mac user accounts to make the 1Password family license work?

• @timsquires A single user account will make it a bit difficult. There's no way for you to run two separate instances of 1Password on a single account.

But if you'd like to use a single user account, you could just create a separate vault. There would be the one primary vault that you have right now for yourself, and you could create a second vault for her. The only possible downside to this is that you'd technically have to share the same master password for both of your sets of data, but that might not matter to you. If you'd like to do that, I can share instructions. Let me know! :D

• timsquires
    timsquires
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP - thanks, I think that having a second vault sounds like the best option for us. If you can share those instructions it would be great :)

• Jasper
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hey @timsquires,

This support article will guide you through setting up another vault:

Multiple Vaults

You could choose a different master password for the new vault, but when you enter the master password for the primary vault (the one you have already setup), it will unlock all secondary vaults (ex: your wife's). So for this reason, I think it would make sense for you to simply use the same password for the new vault you create for your wife.

You'll also find that the linked article describes how to switch between vaults, share items between vaults, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• timsquires
    timsquires
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP - terrific, that looks great, thank you :) Just one more question: If I am going to use the second vault option, do I still need to have a family license, or can I now downgrade to a single user license?

• @timsquires You're welcome! Hope that works well for you! :D

I was actually gonna bring up the licensing aspect next. If you are only using one copy of 1Password, there shouldn't be any need for a family license. But @Megan will have to help you get that sorted out (might not be until Monday). So check back here later and I'm sure @Megan will let you let you know what can be done about that.

• timsquires
    timsquires
    Community Member
    Options

@Jasper Thanks again for all of your help :) I'll check back in later with @Megan regarding the license issue. Best wishes, Tim

• paddypdx
    paddypdx
    Community Member
    Options

I also bought a family license for windows and mac and the IOS app. I also can't see the benefit of the family license since my wife and I share the same mac login and apple ID for the Apple store. However, I don't really care that we purchased the family license as it covers all bases should we decide to start using separate profiles and logins on the mac. However, my worry is that when we are forced to pay for an upgrade to 1Password (how often does this happen anyway?) that we will have to continue to pay upgrades for the family license even if it turns out we will continue to use just one license?

This discussion has been closed.