Can't Reinstall 1Password Extension

Grunt_at_the_Point
Grunt_at_the_Point
Community Member

I have the 1Password Families subscription. I also have 1Password desktop, Ver. 7.2.4 on my Mac. Somehow, the Safari 1Password browser extension (Mini) got booted from the Safari browser menu bar. When I checked I found 1Password 7.2.4 in the Safari extension panel where the Mini should be. When I try to reinstall the mini, after uninstalling it, I keep getting an error message saying cannot connect to 1Password. I am able to use the desktop and Families versions but not the browser extension.

Is the right thing to do is to uninstall 1Password 7.2.4 and then reinstall and attempt to reinstall the 1Password browser extension? If so, can you point me to a page that has the uninstall/reinstall procedure? I have a backup.

I have Firefox and Google Chrome on my Mac with their version of the extension installed. Both are still functional.

I'm running Mojave 10.14.2 & iCloud.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Grunt_at_the_Point - I think some terminological clarification might be in order here. Starting with Safari 12, Apple dramatically changed the format of extensions, retiring the older .safariextz-style of separate browser extension we've all grown accustomed to using over the years. Is this what you meant by "mini?" In traditional 1Password, the mini is actually the menubar application that lives at the top of your screen, and the extension in Safari (and other browsers) is merely a (mostly) dumb conduit for that.

In Safari 12, however, the new format developed by Apple is called Safari App Extensions, and this new style of extension is built directly into the app itself; it's no longer a separate process/download. All versions of 1Password starting with 7.2 now include this new style of extension for Safari, so when you look in Safari's Preferences > Extensions, you should see an extension with the same version number as the version number of the main app itself -- because they are the same process now.

Please open Extensions in Safari and UNinstall anything in there that's the older-style (like 4.7.3.90, etc). Quit Safari, and FULLY quit 1Password (Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q - or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Restart both, and 1Password should re-install the correct (7.2.4) version of the newer extension into Safari. Let me know how that works for you.

• Grunt_at_the_Point
    Grunt_at_the_Point
    Community Member

Thanks Lars - all is good now. Also, thanks for the Extension explanation.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Grunt_at_the_Point - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I'm glad I was able to help you get things squared away. Please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

This discussion has been closed.