UI feature request - show Category name in selected item

Options
ag1pwun
ag1pwun
Community Member
edited February 2019 in Mac

This may have been suggested but I wasn't able to find it. I'm occasionally looking for an item but I'm not sure what category it's in so I do a search or list all items. When I click on the item I'm looking for I'd like to know the category it's in so I can quickly confirm that it's in the right place.

So the request is to show the category at the top of the item under the item name:

(Blue flag) > (Lock) Personal > Category name.

This affects both the Mac and Web version. User comments are welcome.

1Password Version: v7.2.5
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: OS X 10.14.3
Sync Type: Subscription

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ag1pwun - I can certainly pass along your request to the development team, but I'm curious to know how often this happens to you: categories are for the most part relatively separate from one another, with a few notable exceptions. I wouldn't be likely to mistake my Amazon Login item (if I were searching for that) for an outdoor license or bank account. If you wouldn't mind sharing, can you give us an idea of what kind of items are of indeterminate category, and how often you run into this?

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    Options

Sure. For me there can be overlap with Logins, Passwords and Email addresses. In most cases it's obvious where an item ought to be stored, but the case where I thought about the benefit of displaying the category in the item was a Membership. My local library book database can be accessed online. I hadn't used it for quite some time and when I went to log in a membership number was required. I knew it had to be in 1P somewhere, so I first checked logins, then passwords then decided I better search for it. So it's sitting in the search list and I click on it to show the item parameters and I'm wondering what category this item is in. I'm looking around at the entire UI and don't see the category. I didn't initially look in the membership list because I didn't remember there was a membership category!

My initial thinking was that change would likely to be easy to implement and would not be terribly controversial. I solicit user feedback in case there might be some downsides. But since I saw your response I'm now thinking that not everything is easy and in software application development there are other considerations, such as screen shots, user guides, help documentation, QA testing, etc.

So I'm happy to let this thread percolate a while to see if anyone else sees a benefit (or problem) with the suggestion.

Thanks for your response.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ag1pwun - I'll see about getting this idea in front of the developers, and we'll see what happens here as well. Thanks for being willing to share! :)

This discussion has been closed.