I am suddenly unable to even unlock my 1Password app on my Mac .

twojtyniak
twojtyniak
Community Member

I am suddenly unable to even unlock my 1Password app on my Mac. When I try to enter the password I get an error saying "CloudKit access was denied by user settings." I followed the instructions in https://support.1password.com/icloud-troubleshooting/, but they say "Mac: Open and unlock 1Password, then choose 1Password > Preferences. Click Sync, select your Primary vault, and set “Sync Primary vault with” to None." I cannot unlock my vault. I am certain I have successfully used 1P within the past few days, if not today.

How do I even reset things?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:CloudKit access was denied by user settings

Comments

• Hi @twojtyniak

"CloudKit access was denied by user settings" means iCloud Drive is not enabled for your user account on the Mac, which is required for 1Password when configured to sync with iCloud. Please open System Preferences > iCloud and make sure iCloud Drive is checked. If it is already click on the "Options..." button next to it and be sure that 1Password is checked.

Ben

P.S. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. You are out of date (fairly significantly) on both macOS as well as 1Password.

• twojtyniak
    twojtyniak
    Community Member

Well, the iCloud storage had somehow turned off. Most curious. I turned it back on and could log in.

I am open to updating to 1P7, but the pricing on the standalone license appears to be unavailable on the website anywhere. For the record, I am loathe to update a stable OS for one with a filesystem that is not yet documented (APFS) and seems to have many problems. Not looking for a new batch of problems to investigate and (maybe) solve.

• twojtyniak
    twojtyniak
    Community Member

It also seems odd that I had no access whatsoever to my local vault. I find that very troubling. I can see having trouble with a sync, but not local access.

• twojtyniak
    twojtyniak
    Community Member

Thank you for your help, Ben.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@twojtyniak

I am open to updating to 1P7, but the pricing on the standalone license appears to be unavailable on the website anywhere.

We are currently running a promotion that allows you to purchase it for $49.99, compared to the regular $64.99, so with a 23% discount :)

It also seems odd that I had no access whatsoever to my local vault.

If your vault is stored in iCloud, then it's not a local vault though, it's a vault stored in the cloud.

Something like this would never happen with a purely local vault (a vault that is stored on your computer only, without sync enabled).

• twojtyniak
    twojtyniak
    Community Member

Thank you for the information on the update. Is that information to be found somewhere on the website and I missed it?

I am a bit confused on the sync. I thought the idea of a a sync was that there is a copy that is synchronized with the iCloud vault. Is there not a local copy of the vault? Surely I am not dependent upon a network connection to get access to my vault, right?

• @twojtyniak

The information was shared in our announcement of 1Password 7 for Mac:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever | 1Password

As for your question about iCloud: that is correct. Turn off WiFi and unplug any network cables then launch 1Password for Mac to test. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.