Agile1pAgent.exe and the USB Flash Drive

Hello,
First, I'd like to compliment you on a great product. I purchased both the Mac and Windows versions and love using them.

My 1Password is configured to not auto-lock (all three auto-lock checkboxes on the Security preferences tab are not checked).
I keep the 1Password database on an encrypted USB Flash Drive. This makes it easier to share between my Mac and PC. Recently I noticed that the USB "Safe Remove Hardware" doesn't work anymore. After investigating the problem I found that the Agile1pAgent.exe is holding on to the database files on the flash drive even if all internet browsers are closed. So now I have to "End task" the Agile1pAgent.exe, then "Safe Remove Hardware" to unmap the flash drive and finally remove the USB stick.

Would it be possible to alter the Agile1pAgent.exe behavior so that it doesn't lock the database when not in use?

Thank you.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for asking about this.

Storing a data file on a removable, network, or otherwise external drive is not supported. I understand that you may be doing this, but it is not something we support or encourage. Problems can occur if your data becomes unavailable and 1Password is trying to read or write to it.

If you would like a secure way to keep your data in sync between Mac and PC, we recommend Dropbox:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/setting-up-Dropbox-sync.html

If, for some reason, you would prefer to shuttle your data back and forth via Sneakernet, you should copy the data to your local drive, overwriting the existing copy, and then copy it back to the USB drive when done.

Your system may have been possible, but it has never been supported. Sorry to be the one to break the news to you. I will mention your use case to the developers, but this has always been the case since 1Password was released.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help, or if you have any further questions.
  • Thank you, Khad.
    I appreciate the detailed answer and the fact that you'll mention the use case to the developers.
    I forgot to mention that I am on the latest 1Password version currently. About 2-3 months ago my USB setup worked fine. Maybe it was my luck. I wish I recorded a 1Password version number that I had back then.
This discussion has been closed.