Cant add an existing vault to 1password 6.x on Mac

Options
thebadmf
thebadmf
Community Member

I've been a long time, licenced 1password user. I was running v4 on PC along with iOS versions and v6 on Mac. I've recently updated to v7 on PC which changed my dropbox stored vault to a new type and made the existing one a legacy vault.

I cannot add this new vault on the mac version. If I check All Vaults or Sync there is no option to add a vault at all. I don't want to merge the new vault with the existing 1password vault as when this happened in the past it caused loads of duplicates.

Please help.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.14.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thebadmf - sorry for the confusion. If you've done this recently - the upgrade from Agile Keychain to the newer OPVault style of sync keychain in Dropbox - then you won't have changed much of your actual data since then, correct? If you agree, then you should be able to open 1Password 6 for Mac, go to Preferences > Sync, select the vault in question (the one that was converted on your PC), and turn OFF Dropbox syncing. Wait a couple of seconds, then turn it back ON. You'll go through the usual Dropbox sync questions (locate a vault), but this time, point it at the OPVault in your Dropbox folder (the same one in use by your PC), NOT the Agile Keychain.

If it's been too long, or you've changed too much data since converting on the PC from Agile Keychain to OPVault, let me know and we'll go about it a different way.

• thebadmf
    thebadmf
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars

Thanks for the reply. I tried this and the final step wanted me to merge the data into the current box. The last time I did that was a few years ago and it made duplicates of EVERYTHING. I'd rather not do this.

On iOS I just had the option to sync a new vault and was able to select the new vault from dropbox, give it a slightly different name and then stop the old one from syncing (although the old one is still listed as "on the iPhone/iPad"). Additionally I have a shared vault with my partner which I've noticed is not on the Macbook and at present have no way to add.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I tried this and the final step wanted me to merge the data into the current box.

What happens if you double click on the vault's sync file (OPVault) in Dropbox?

Additionally I have a shared vault with my partner which I've noticed is not on the Macbook and at present have no way to add.

The only way we support sharing of vaults is with 1Password Families:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

Ben

• thebadmf
    thebadmf
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben @Lars

I didnt even think to double click the file. That opened a new vault and I've removed the other from all vaults but, cant see a way to completely remove the old one from the application.

Thanks though

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thebadmf - glad you got it sorted. Is the older (and now no-longer-necessary) vault your Primary vault? Or is it a secondary vault?

• thebadmf
    thebadmf
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars. It's primary, I've made sure it's set to not sync, deselected it in all vaults, and set the default save to the new one. I'm guessing the only way to get rid of it completely is to reinstall?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2019
    Options

@thebadmf

Reinstalling won't actually do it. You'd need to select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data, then double click on the sync file (OPvault) in Dropbox.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.