Suspicious update popups

Options
coulston2011
coulston2011
Community Member

I've been getting atypical update requests on my Mac. They appear in my launch menu at the bottom. Sorry, I didn't screen shot for details. Then, yesterday, I received this pop up.

1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser...If Google Chrome is in the middle of an update, 1Password may be unable to verify its identity. Please quit Google Chrome and reopen it.

No option to close the message, just help or ok.

Is this legitimate? It comes at a time when I'm having suspicious problems with another program so I was spooked already.

Thank you, L

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @coulston2011

1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser...If Google Chrome is in the middle of an update, 1Password may be unable to verify its identity. Please quit Google Chrome and reopen it.

This is a real error message that 1Password presents when Chrome has downloaded an update but needs to be restarted in order to apply the update. After receiving the message but before restarting Chrome 1Password will not work in Chrome.

I've been getting atypical update requests on my Mac. They appear in my launch menu at the bottom. Sorry, I didn't screen shot for details.

This is a result of the way macOS Mojave displays recently used apps by default. It may show the 1Password Updater as a recently used app, but clicking on that icon in the Dock will not update 1Password. Personally I've turned that feature off as I don't find it useful and don't care to have icons in my Dock other than the ones I've explicitly put there.

Is this legitimate?

A healthy dose of paranoia isn't necessarily a bad thing but in this case, based on your description, I don't see any reason to suspect these situations aren't explained by the above.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• coulston2011
    coulston2011
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! Your reply was helpful and eased my concerns.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad Ben was able to help. If you have any other questions, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.