What should I have installed on my Mac?

Options
parkerpress
parkerpress
Community Member

This whole thing with 1Password for Mac, 1Password-X and the mini (menubar app) are all confusing.

I've been a user of 1Pw since back around version 2, and have continuously upgraded as you've released new versions.

I have thousands of entries (logins, notes, inventory information, etc) in 1Pw, and use this app constantly.

But you've finally got me confused over what exactly I should have running on my Macs. I have a web account, that hosts my vaults, a desktop app installed on my MacBook, and plugins in every browser. But now I'm starting to find that I'm unlocking 1Pw all the time, in both the browsers and the App after it times out.

And that "inconvenience" makes me think that I have too many things installed in too many places.

To be able to refer to all kinds of categories/types of records multiple times through the day in multiple browsers, what do I need to have installed?

Thanks!

Steve

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3 (70300020) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90, 1.15.2
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @parkerpress

It sounds like you've installed the 1Password X extension, rather than (or perhaps in addition to) the traditional desktop extension. 1Password X is great, and may be worth trying out, but it doesn't (yet) unlock when you unlock 1Password for Mac like the traditional extension does. It locks and unlocks separately.

If you just want the traditional extension you can find it here:

Download for Mac

(look for "an extension to your Mac app" rather than "no Mac app required")

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• parkerpress
    parkerpress
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I have both extensions installed. I'll uninstall the "X" extension and stick with the Desktop app and the "traditional extension" I have now.

And again, thanks for the speedy response!

Steve

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• blimmer
    blimmer
    Community Member
    Options

I was also confused after upgrading to 7.3 - my understanding is that the 1password browser extension was pretty much deprecated, and the suggestion was to use 1password X moving forward. Is that not the case anymore?

• Ben
    Options

@blimmer

We're very excited about 1Password X, but most people are still using the traditional extension, and will likely continue to do so at least until integration with 1Password for Mac is out of beta. Sorry for any confusion on that.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.