Not all edited data is showing in the saved item details

tonyjg
tonyjg
Community Member

I have a login item that is using 4 Sections below the basic login data. When I save this item only the first 3 Sections are showing, and in the last Section showing, only the first field is showing.
If I go back to edit the data is still there and I can edit it but it will not show when I save the item again.
It seems there is a cap on the amount of data the item will show, although I only have 10 fields in the additional Sections, 6 of which are passwords.
As I am using password fields I can see and copy the passwords visible when saved, but anything not visible cannot be used as it cannot be seen or displayed when in edit mode.
This login is for logging on to Internet banking, which has a whole host of passwords, security questions etc. As the data will not fit in the standard login I need to re-set up as a secure . note or something. Bit disappointing.
Is this the best solution or am I missing something?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:some fields in the details page for a password are not showing when saved

Comments

• rudiklein
    rudiklein
    Community Member

Hi,

we noticed the same issue. The entry was already fairly long (many sections/fields) and extended on the iPhone. The additional fields are only visible in edit mode on Android, IOS and Windows. On all devices the data does show in edit mode.

I'm not sure what the issue is, it can be caused by the entry being corrupted in the iPhone and then distributed to the other devices.
    I'm pretty sure it's not the number of sections or fields, because we do have longer entries and they work fine.

Bye,

Rudi

• rudiklein
    rudiklein
    Community Member

Sorry guys,

We found the problem, it has to do with labels without a field.
    After cleaning up the entry from the previously added stuff and entering it the correct way, the data showed up as it should.

It might not be a bug, but it is somewhat inconsistent behaviour I think.

• Sections without a name show up in view mode, including all labels/fields
    • Fields without a label show up in view mode
    • Labels without a field don't show up in view mode

See below example.

The problem will probably occur more on mobile devices, because the windows interface is visually different.

My suggestion for what it's worth: Show labels without a field in view mode.

Bye,

Rudi

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tonyjg & @rudiklein,

It is correct that 1Password will only show fields where there is a value stored. If the UI (User Interface) has accidentally caused confusion between a field label and a field value and resulted in stored the value in the label it would result in what appears to be invisible data that can only be accessed when in edit mode. When I compare to the likes of Contacts, the macOS address book application this seems to be for the most part consistent, Contacts won't even store a custom label unless there is an associated value as well whereas 1Password will at least save the label regardless.

@tonyjg, if this isn't what you're seeing please let us know but it may mean a bit of tweaking results in everything correctly showing.

• tonyjg
    tonyjg
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

Hi @rudiklein & @littlebobbytables

Appreciate the feedback - however the issue is not wholly a field without a value.
    The image below is the completed login item in edit mode, and below that the view in save mode
    removed by 1Password
    removed by 1Password
    As you can see the data in saved mode is missing fields starting at the point of a missing field entry
    I then completed this entry and the next 2 images are the same location
    removed by 1Password
    removed by 1Password

Although the field with a new data entry is now showing, the fields below this are still not showing.

I have completed the entry now in a Secure Note including the same data and that correctly shows in the saved mode with all fields showing.

Hope this helps find the issue.

Tony

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tonyjg,

Now it's probably be just being overly cautious but I've removed the images you so kindly supplied. I just didn't feel comfortable seeing your security questions in this public setting. You may feel that's overly paranoid and that's fine, I'd rather be a bit paranoid then make any mistake given the sensitive nature of what we all store in 1Password :smile:

I did my best to try and reproduce, focusing on 1Password 6 for the testing as that's the version you're using but for a new item created with all the same sections and fields, including ones with empty values I find everything remains visible when viewing the item.

Given all the sections and custom fields I do realise a request to create an entirely new Login item and see if it also presents the same issue is a bit of a pain but I'm wondering if what is happening is somehow very unique to this particular item. What that issue is I don't know and because of what the contents represent it isn't like we'll ever be able to ask for a copy of the item for testing. If I ever make such a request I hope the user in question would become very suspicious and tell me no in no uncertain terms.

Can you reproduce the issue with a new item? My recommendation would be to save a new Login item using the steps outlined on our support page How to save a Login manually in your browser and then edit it and add the custom fields. To make the copy and paste a little less painful I would recommend using 1Password mini to anchor the original item so that you can edit the new one from the main window and still have the old item easily accessible for copy and paste. If you haven't used the anchor feature before, with the item details visible in 1Password mini either use the keyboard shortcut ⌘O or click the button with an anchor as the icon.

This discussion has been closed.