To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

[Feature Request] Archiving Vaults

davedelong
davedelong
Community Member

I'd like the ability to archive vaults.

I have a number of vaults that relate to credentials I don't use anymore (such as from previous jobs, etc). I want to keep these credentials around for historical purposes, but I don't want to see the vault in the app, nor do I want the passwords being flagged by Watchtower.

What I'd like is a way to "archive" a vault. I'd still be able to go find the vault in preferences and "unarchive" it if I really needed to recover stuff, but an archived vault would not show up in the vaults list in the app, nor would the items in the vault be analyzed by Watchtower, nor would these vaults be part of "All Vaults".

I'm aware that I can create a new vault called "Archive", but these doesn't let me keep credentials organized by where they came from, nor does it stop those credentials from being flagged by Watchtower, nor does it remove the "Archive" vault from the list of vaults.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @davedelong! Welcome to the forum!

I'm aware that I can create a new vault called "Archive", but these doesn't let me keep credentials organized by where they came from, nor does it stop those credentials from being flagged by Watchtower, nor does it remove the "Archive" vault from the list of vaults.

Have you tried removing the Archive vault from All Vaults view (1Password Preferences > Vaults > Shown In All Vaults)? This will allow you to do all the three things you are looking for ;)

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

That sounds like a good idea. I imagine that it could work like the Apple Watch integration. By that I mean that every item that is added to the Apple Watch receives the tag "Apple Watch". The same could be done with an Archive-function that would tag the archived item with the name of the source vault for example

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Manaburner: That could be an option. If that's the approach that you think would work best for you, you can already do it with the current tag functionality ;)

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@ag_ana Sure, but that's a manual process currently. I would prefer the "archive function" would do that automatically for me :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Got it @Manaburner! :+1: I personally think that an archive function should not need to use tags (not everyone uses them after all), but it's nice to see how you are imagining such a feature to work :)

• rbpanush
    rbpanush
    Community Member

I second the ability to "archive." We are an agency managing client credentials but only a few are active at any moment and it would clean our interface to be able to archive individual vaults and then revive them later if they become active.

• Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective on this @rbpanush. For now it may help to remove 'inactive' client vaults from the All Vaults display:

Use All Vaults to see all your items at once

Ben

• rbpanush
    rbpanush
    Community Member

@Ben I'm not following where to do what you're suggesting. I don't seem to have a setting like that in my preferences and in the vaults themselves, I just see the option to delete the vault.

• @rbpanush

Which 1Password app are you using?

Ben

• rbpanush
    rbpanush
    Community Member

I usually use it via Chrome. I have the app (Mac OS), so let me check that out.

• rbpanush
    rbpanush
    Community Member

@Ben ah I see now. In the app, there are more options. Ok very useful! That's why I was confused!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rbpanush - glad to hear Ben was able to assist! :)

This discussion has been closed.