To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Upgrading from MAC 6.8.8 to a subscription

Options
CurtisConkey
CurtisConkey
Community Member
edited August 2019 in Memberships

Hello:
I have MAC 1Password 6.8.8 and also IPHONE version.
I have recently added some WIndows computers to the home.
Time to upgrade to the subscription account, I believe.
I logged into the Agilbebits main page and started to subscribe but I got spoked when it asked me for a Master Password.
It was treating me as a brand new customer, not one upgrading. I already have a master password.
So I backed out of registration process.

How should I proceed? I don't want to do the one month trial - I just want to jump into the personal subscription and get it loaded on my various computers and smartphones.
How do I upgrade to 7 on my Mac and Iphones and get WIndows version also on my WIndows computers.
If I download Version 7 will it recognize that I already have 1PW 6.8.8 loaded and upgrade?
Thanks
Curtis

1Password Version: Mac 6.8.8
Extension Version: 6.8.8
OS Version: MAC and IOS
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CurtisConkey! Welcome to the forum!

I logged into the Agilbebits main page and started to subscribe but I got spoked when it asked me for a Master Password.

This is normal: a 1Password Membership is separate from the 1Password license that you have. You need to start by creating an account, regardless of whether you are a new customer or if you have been using 1Password for a while.

How should I proceed? I don't want to do the one month trial - I just want to jump into the personal subscription and get it loaded on my various computers and smartphones.

1. Create an account on the website
    2. Add it to the 1Password app on your Mac
    3. Move your items from your Primary vault to your 1Password account that you have just added (if not prompted to do it automatically)

How do I upgrade to 7 on my Mac and Iphones and get WIndows version also on my WIndows computers.

On the Mac, you just need to download version 7 from our website.
    On iOS, you should already be on version 7 because the App Store should have already upgraded you to it.
    On Windows, you can install version 7 again from our website

If I download Version 7 will it recognize that I already have 1PW 6.8.8 loaded and upgrade?

It will install it alongside version 6. Once you have confirmed that everything looks good, you can remove version 6 from your system.

I hope this helps!

• CurtisConkey
    CurtisConkey
    Community Member
    Options

Ag_ana - thanks - everything worked out for the most part - Upgraded my Macs and it looks fine

I was confused at first because there appeared to be two vaults - my Dropbox vault and what I determined was a new 1Password account from my new 1Password Account. I got both of them synced to the 1Password Vault and everything was good.

Then I went to my Windows computer - there was a old non functioning version of 1Password on it - 7.2.576. I deleted/uninstalled the old version and then downloaded the new 7.3 version. It came up as a Windows app. I gave it my account info and secret code - it downloaded my vault but it ended up with two copies of everything and a bunch of stuff that isn't in my regular vault. I am not sure where all the "other" stuff came from - a old vault on the Windows computer? What I can't figure is that it doesn't show two vaults - from what I can see it's only one vault?? My fear is that it will push all that junk up to the master vault? SO far it hasn't?

I keep looking and it only shows 1 vault ??? Perhaps I just have to delete all the copies? I don't understand why I have all the duplicates and why the Windows version hasn't pushed all the copies to the my Personal Vault - though I am glad it hasn't.
    Confused
    Curtis

• CurtisConkey
    CurtisConkey
    Community Member
    Options

So my Personal Account now does have all the duplicates across all the computers and platforms - arghhhh - not sure how it happened but I guess I just have to clean them all up
    OR - can I resync with my DROPBOX vault and save myself a lot of time?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CurtisConkey: If the "junk" data is in a local vault (called "Primary"/"On this PC"), that's stored only on the device and completely separate from any 1Password account, so no risk of it "merging" with that; you'd need to copy it over for it to end up in the account. If you have all the data you want in your account already, it would be best to setup all your devices with only your 1Password membership account, so they all have the same data going forward:

Set up your other devices

If necessary, you can simply reset the app and then sign into your account there. :)

• CurtisConkey
    CurtisConkey
    Community Member
    Options

brenty:
    Thanks for the quick response. My problem is that when I set up my new 1Password subscription account somehow I ended up with multiple copies of each of my entries. So my adobe account is double, Amazon is double and then there are a bunch of junk files that I don't know where they came from. I think I somehow merged a old inactive vault (version 7.2.256) on one of my computers with my "pristine" Dropbox vault and now it is a mess.
    So can I wipe my new 1Password Personal account vault and do another import from my still "pristine" Dropbox vault - rather than having to do a whole lot of duplicate deleting?
    Thanks
    Curtis

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CurtisConkey: To clarify, where do you have a complete set of the data you want to keep -- OS, 1Password version, and vault name?

• CurtisConkey
    CurtisConkey
    Community Member
    Options

The clean version I want is on my Dropbox site. That vault was primarily from MAC OS 1Password 6.8.8 license before I upgraded to a subscription version 7.3.2
    curtis

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CurtisConkey: Thanks for confirming! In that case, please do the following:

1. Delete the data in your 1Password account (easiest to do in the desktop app, since you can press ⌘ A to Select All)
    2. Reset the 1Password app
    3. Setup the 1Password app again by deleting the standalone vault with your data in Dropbox
    4. Add your 1Password account to the app
    5. Go to Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account, and then remove the old standalone vault (you can manually disable the local vaults option in Preferences > Advanced)

Then you'll have all the data from the Dropbox vault in your account, and only the account in the app. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• CurtisConkey
    CurtisConkey
    Community Member
    Options

brenty:
    Ok I've cleaned everything out - Personal account is clean/empty across platforms.
    Now I am trying to go to Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account but it is greyed out???
    Thoughts?
    Curtis

• CurtisConkey
    CurtisConkey
    Community Member
    Options

I am trying this from my Mac 1Password 7.3.2 version.

• CurtisConkey
    CurtisConkey
    Community Member
    Options

more info: On the Mac App I found the Import option and then the 1Password 6 option - when I navigate to my Dropbox file the opvault is greyed out - it won't let me import it?????
    Very confused now.
    Curtis

• CurtisConkey
    CurtisConkey
    Community Member
    Options

Figured it out - Did the Import from IPHONE. - it copied old vault into new vault. I think the IPHONE app made the DROPBOX vault a version 7 vault and thus the MAC 1PW could not import it as a 1PW 6 vault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CurtisConkey: I'm not sure I follow, but it may not matter: if you sign into 1Password.com in your web browser, do you have all of your data there now? If so, the only thing left to do is make sure that you setup 1Password to use only your account on all your devices. Let me know if there's anything I can help with. :)

• CurtisConkey
    CurtisConkey
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, I did that - only the 1 account across all platforms
    Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CurtisConkey - on behalf of brenty, you're quite welcome -- glad he was able to assist. So...all is good now? You've got a complete and up-to-date copy of your data in your 1Password account's vault(s), on all your devices (and no other vaults)? If you still have a standalone vault called "Primary" on any devices, you'll want to remove it; the way to do that varies depending on platform, but you can find instructions here. Let us know if you have any further questions.

This discussion has been closed.