I can't download the extension for safari. Everything is up to date. Just keeps spinning.

Options
bzrichmond
bzrichmond
Community Member

My OS is up to date. I downloaded 1Password 7. The extension for Safari will not install. It does not appear in my extensions so I was led to the App store to download but it won't finish. I have restarted my mac and still no luck. If I uninstall 1Password and reinstall it, will my data be lost?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: none-trying to install new one
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I can't download the extension and I can't even leave a comment...this is very messed up. I want my

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @bzrichmond! In Safari 12, Apple completely re-designed the extension format developers must use. The new Safari App Extension format which 1Password 7 for Mac uses is built right into the app itself, per Apple's specs. As such, there IS no external extension to install.

I have restarted my mac and still no luck. If I uninstall 1Password and reinstall it, will my data be lost?

No. Your 1Password data "lives" in your ~/Library folder and isn't affected by (re)installation of the app. Here's what I'd recommend:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    3. Delete the 1Password 7 app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash and restart your Mac.
    4. After restart, visit our downloads page and download a fresh copy of the 1Password installer and run it.
    5. When you re-open 1Password for Mac after re-installing, everything should be as it was, data-wise.
    6. Open Safari and click Safari > Preferences > Extensions -- do you see an extension called 1Password there with a version number of 7.3.2? If so, make sure it's "checked" (active) in the sidebar. Let me know how that goes for you.
This discussion has been closed.