Autofill not working, manual copy from 1Password does

Richard19
Richard19
Community Member
edited September 2019 in Mac

I just started with 1Password. The extension is set up in Safari. If I click the 1Pssword icon in Safari, it brings up 1Password, and I select the bank I want to login to. Once I say go, the login fails. If I do a manual copy of username and then manual copy of password from the 1Password app, the login works correctly. Just the autofil using the "Go" button does not work.

It fails differently on two different banking sites.

1st bank - appears to fill in username and password, but then the password (bank calls it a passcode) is cleared. If I manually copy the password data from 1Password in the filled and cleared field, it works and I get to my 2FA.

2nd bank - when I hit "Go", my bank says the login credentials don't match. However, if I manually copy and paste the username and password field from the 1Password app (using the Copy selection next to each field), the login works, and I get to my 2FA.

Incidentally, I also configured my iPad, and got the same results there, so this does not seem to be Mac specific.

_1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302003) Mac App Store
_Extension Version: Not sure how to get this, but just installed, so whatever is current
_OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14.6
_Sync Type: via 1Password (logged in on both Mac and iPad)
_ iPad OS: iOS 12.4.1

Comments

• Richard19
    Richard19
    Community Member

Any suggestions? I am new to 1Password, so it may just be user error. But hitting the Go does not work, while manually copying username and password from 1Password into the browser does. I read great things about 1Password, but have not seen it work yet.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Richard19! If you've just set this up from scratch, this may be as simple as quitting Safari, then quitting 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), and finally restarting your Mac.

After a restart, open Safari and 1Password 7 for Mac again and unlock with your Master Password. Open Safari > Preferences > Extensions and make sure there's an extension present there called 1Password with the version number 7.3.2 -- and make sure that in the sidebar of that Extensions panel, the 1Password extension is checked (active). Then see if it works to fill your items.

If it doesn't, and if you're new to 1Password, the reason may have to do with how 1Password expects Login items to be saved. Did you click the Plus ( + ) button to create one or all of your new Login items? If so, that may be the answer. It's a reasonable thing to assume (click Plus to add a new item), but it's not how Logins are created. here are instructions for saving a new Login item in 1Password. Give that a try, perhaps? Let me know how you get on. :)

• Richard19
    Richard19
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

I did all that. Quit Safari, completely quit 1Password, shutdown, restarted. Unlocked 1Password.

Safari > Preferences > Extensions shows 7.3.2 is enabled.

I then manually logged into my bank, and 1Password never asked me to save the login. I use 2FA, and it didn't ask after username and password to login, or after 2FA complete and I was logged in. Just to be sure, I had deleted the entry I had made by hitting the Plus button, as you said.

One note, I was using a VPN at the time. Since I was on a public WiFi, this was necessary. I would assume 1Password should work regardless of VPN.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Richard19:

Is 1Password not prompting you to save your Login on any website, or is this happening just on the bank website?

• Richard19
    Richard19
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

Any site. After 2 evenings trying to get it to work, I'm moving on. I got Lastpass working in under an hour, so will cancel my 1Password subscription.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Richard19:

If you open 1Password Preferences > Browsers tab, is the option Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them checked?

• Richard19
    Richard19
    Community Member

It was not. I'll try it again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @Richard19! Please let us know how that goes :)

• Richard19
    Richard19
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

Did not fix it. The workflow and interface for 1Password just seems less intuitive to me. Plus I have spent hours trying to get it to work. So at this point I will give up on 1Password. Thanks for trying to help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Richard19

If you want us to take a closer look at your configuration, please send us a diagnostics report from your Mac to support+forum@agilebits.com and we will be happy to check why this is happening to you.

If your decision is set already, thank you for giving 1Password a try. No matter what password manager you end up using, it's important that you use one, so stay safe online!

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.