As an Administrator, I can't seem to see Vaults which I can manage and view

We use 1Password for Teams and despite the fact that I'm an Owner and Administrator, I can't seem to see group's vaults without being explicitly added a a user (not inheriting the permission as a member of the built-in Group). Hope that makese sense.

I'm sure I'm missing something about how the permissions structure for these Vaults work but can't figure it out.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1Password X 1.16.2
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.1
Sync Type: 1Password for Teams

Comments

• bradical
    bradical
    Community Member

This seems like it could be related but I can't seem to update the permissions for Team Members on a specific Vault to give them read-only access. Are these limitations of 1Password for Teams?

• Hi @bradical! Thanks for posting that GIF – it helped clarify things a bit. What you're seeing there is a bug in the latest version of 1Password.com that we're working on a fix for. The visual indicator, which should be a ✔️, is not showing properly. However, if you click one of the permissions, it will be applied, it just won't show in the gear menu like it should. Are the permissions not updating at all no matter which one you click, though? If so, that's a separate issue.

For your original question, though, I'm not sure if that bug is related.

I can't seem to see group's vaults without being explicitly added a a user (not inheriting the permission as a member of the built-in Group).

Just to clarify, are you saying that you have to be a member of the group to manage the vaults that group has access to? If you're using 1Password Teams, you'd only have the default groups, Owners, Administrators, and Team Members, and if you're in the Owners group, you should be able to manage everything in the account.

ref: b5-6889

• bradical
    bradical
    Community Member

The visual indicator, which should be a ✔️, is not showing properly. However, if you click one of the permissions, it will be applied, it just won't show in the gear menu like it should. Are the permissions not updating at all no matter which one you click, though? If so, that's a separate issue.

Perfect - thanks!

Just to clarify, are you saying that you have to be a member of the group to manage the vaults that group has access to? If you're using 1Password Teams, you'd only have the default groups, Owners, Administrators, and Team Members, and if you're in the Owners group, you should be able to manage everything in the account.

No. What I'm saying is that the only way I can get a Vault to show up for me in the list of Vaults is to be explicitly added as a user. I'm both an Owner and an Admin and while I can manage all of these Vaults, it seems I can only see them if my user has an explicit permission assigned (rather than inheriting from the group). Does that make sense?

• @bradical Thanks for clarifying! That is the correct behavior. You'll only see vaults if you have viewing permissions on them. If you just manage them, you won't see them. When someone creates a new vault, they can add you to it if they'd like to, otherwise you'll need to add yourself later. This is to prevent admins and owners from seeing all the vaults at once in larger teams with hundreds of vaults. :)

• bradical
    bradical
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Makes sense. So despite the fact that as an Admin, I can "Manage and View", that's really just Manage and View in the administrative sense. Not in terms of the content of the Vault. Is that correct?

Given that, what does these various options mean then for Groups in 1Password for Teams?

• bradical
    bradical
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

On a similar note, is there any way for me to give Team Members read-only access to a single Vault or would I have to add each of them individually?

• bradical
    bradical
    Community Member

Ah, I think I might see what's happening here. And it looks to be related to the checkboxes you described earlier. It's possible to "Manage" a Vault without being able to View or Edit (I had assumed Manage implied the others). So if I want a Group to actually be able to see the Vault in their list of Vaults they need at least View (or Edit) but Manage is not enough.

So to answer my question from here:

On a similar note, is there any way for me to give Team Members read-only access to a single Vault or would I have to add each of them individually?

The way to do this would be give the Team Members group the "View" (or "Edit") which would effectively give everyone access to it.

Is that correct?

• @bradical Thanks for the update on things.

The way to do this would be give the Team Members group the "View" (or "Edit") which would effectively give everyone access to it.

That is correct. There are more fine-grained permissions in 1Password Business if you'd like to tune things a bit more, and you're welcome to reach out to business@1password.com if you have some questions about that. :)

• bradical
    bradical
    Community Member

Thanks @Jacob. So it sounds like the main sticking point right now is that those checkboxes don't show up and I was having periodic issues getting the state to change even after repeatedly selecting the "View" option, for example. I'll see if i can reproduce that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bradical: Indeed, it's a visual glitch. If you click to change the permissions though, you'll see that the text next to the "gear" icon changes there though -- e.g. "Manage", "View & Edit", etc.

This discussion has been closed.