Question New 1Password Pro and Dropbox Sync Not Working

Comments

• tuawsteve
    edited December 1969
    I agree with CaptSaltyJack -- there is something definitely wrong with Dropbox sync. I have the latest builds on both Mac and iPhone, and I'm getting the same errors. Half the time it's telling me that it can't find the data file, then it finds it and tells me the master password is wrong.

Bugfix, please!
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Well ok, now we are together on the same page. Thanks for straightening me out.

all I can say is there is a huge amount of folks flooding the API. I was running the betas and during the testing my inital sync took 2 min max for a very large keychain. Tonight I had to reinstall to get the final version of the iOS app it took me 1 hour since the start of this thread to get it synced. All 787 items. So I think it may be just a lot of traffic, but Ill let the techie types dwell on the bug stuff. Whew I gotta get to bed its 11 30 here and 500 comes quick.

ps... I think my kid would like your name. He's a capt jack fiend.
  • CaptSaltyJack
    edited December 1969
    If I tap "Sync" over and over, it randomly switches between these two error messages below. Makes no sense. I know for sure my password is fine and the 1PasswordSync folder has an Agile keychain file in it.

err1e.jpg
    err2.jpg
  • melorama
    melorama
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Same deal here. I just updated to the new build just released in the past 15 minutes, and I still get the "Master Password is incorrect" message. It seems to have no problem logging into my Dropbox account, but it craps out when it comes to the "PC/Mac" Master Password part.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    Please use 1Password > Check for Updates menu to upgrade to version 3.3 on your Mac.

We published a new version a few minutes ago.
  • Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Same here. iPhone seems to work i.e. It downloads items for potential updates. The iPad version wants to send everything to drop box and definitely has out of date items.

The incorrect master password error seems to happen when both phone and iPad are trying to sync simultaneously.
  • CaptSaltyJack
    edited December 1969
    roustem wrote:
    Please use 1Password > Check for Updates menu to upgrade to version 3.3 on your Mac.

We published a new version a few minutes ago.

I think I'm missing something. How do I get the iPhone version of 1Password to work? That's where the problem lies, isn't it?
  • jw34
    jw34
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    My password is not being accepted either.
  • Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I downloaded the latest Mac update. Sync'd my iPhone and iPad via WiFi. Then turned on dropbox sync on the phone and iPad. Again, iPhone appeared to download potential updates. My iPad is now sending 300+ items to drop box and growl is driving me mad with file update messages on my mac. I don't know what the result of this will be but I hope I haven't corrupted my keychain.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    I downloaded the latest Mac update. Sync'd my iPhone and iPad via WiFi. Then turned on dropbox sync on the phone and iPad. Again, iPhone appeared to download potential updates. My iPad is now sending 300+ items to drop box and growl is driving me mad with file update messages on my mac. I don't know what the result of this will be but I hope I haven't corrupted my keychain.

This is possible. Unfortunately, there were some discrepancies between Mac and iPhone/iPad. We will be updating the Mac application to take care of the created conflict files, they shouldn't affect your data file.
  • jw34
    jw34
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Also when it says "master password on iPhone" is that my iphone password, the 1P password or the Dropbox password? Doesn't matter here, none work.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    master pass for the phone keychain
  • jw34
    jw34
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    So the phone passcode? It shouldn't matter that mine is 6 digits and not the usual 4 should it?
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    no not the phone pin, and not the 1password security pin... the actual password you set up for the 1p touch app, the same one you type in to reveal your logins etc. on the phone.

hope that helps
  • Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    OK. It all finished and I ended up with lots of duplicate entries where the iPad still had earlier versions of some items. I decided to add a test item on the mac and see if it propagated to the mobile devices. Both the phone and the iPad gave incorrect master password errors so I exited on the iPhone. The iPad then wanted to send the entire keychain again!!! Now my iPhone is downloading 300+ potential updates that presumably came from the iPad. The item I created on my Mac propagated to my iPhone properly.

I then added an item on the iPhone. I went to the sync window to see what was happening and there was an error message saying to check that the desktop had finished syncing. I pressed the sync now button and the item correctly ended up on the mac.

I then deleted both items on the mac and waited for dropbox to sync. Pressed sync now button on iPhone and got the incorrect master password error. Waited a while and tried again then it worked and the items disappeared from the phone.

It feels to me like the iPad version definitely isn't working correctly.

The error messages on both are misleading and I'm not sure how quickly the sync between phone and dropbox should occur.
  • jw34
    jw34
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    OK, got it. Thanks. I did try that one before. Won't work.
    thightower wrote:
    no not the phone pin, and not the 1password security pin... the actual password you set up for the 1p touch app, the same one you type in to reveal your logins etc. on the phone.
  • Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    roustem wrote:
    This is possible. Unfortunately, there were some discrepancies between Mac and iPhone/iPad. We will be updating the Mac application to take care of the created conflict files, they shouldn't affect your data file.

Thanks. I think I'll wait for that until I switch it back on with my iPad.

I think dropbox syncing is a wonderful idea but there are some kinks that need to be worked out before I will trust it. All feels a bit fragile to me.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    jw34

if you are running iOS 4 completly shut down 1p and start over this has worked for quit a few me included.
  • jw34
    jw34
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    OK it took. Interesting that I show a dopbox.com entry and a Dropbox entry. What to choose?
    OK chose Dropbox, did the login and 1P crashed.
  • chashulme
    chashulme
    Community Member
    edited July 2010
    thightower wrote:
    jw34

if you are running iOS 4 completly shut down 1p and start over this has worked for quit a few me included.

I had the same issues of the app (1PT 3.5) consistently failing to accept the phone keychain master password as valid, and the reported conflicts during sync. And I can confirm that, for me, a complete app shutdown on IOS4 and a hard reboot of the device seems to clear these issues... And this is consistent with a good many other problematic app installs/updates I've seen (requiring a hard reset to clear issues). TO CLARIFY, on a multitasking supported device (iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS or iPod touch 3rd generation running IOS4) a complete app shutdown is accomplished by double pressing HOME (that raises the multitask app menu), tap and hold on the 1Password app that appears at screen bottom (causing the jiggling or dancing icons ala rearrange home screens), and tapping the little ‘X’ to the upper-right of the app icon (which vanishes the icon, indicating ‘shutdown’). Then hard restart the device by simultaneously holding SLEEP/WAKE and HOME buttons for 10-12 secs until the screen goes black and the Apple logo appears, indicating reboot.

As far as the ‘1Password Sync’ folder that keeps showing up in the top level of the Dropbox folder, I would hazard a guess that the sync uses this location as a temporary store for conflict reports, but that's just a guess. And even though as I reported many supposed conflicts during the initial Dropbox sync to my first device, I find nothing in the folder, and the sync now shows complete each time I open the app.

Now that I have some confidence that nothing looks awry, I'll proceed to sync my other devices...

Hope this helps someone...

UPDATE: After my initial device sync (iPhone 4) and then my iPad 3g without additional problems, I find my iPod touch 2g crashed twice to the springboard while setting up sync. And now it crashes each and every time I open the app and the sync gets to ‘requesting the list of remote data objects’, even if I hard reset the device. I guess the next thing I'll try is deleting, reinstalling the app and sync again. Hopefully this will clear the issue...
  • sandman4sure
    sandman4sure
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Ok, I have tried for a long time now but my 1Password for iPhone keeps crashing when trying to sync to dropbox.
    I have the new version for the Mac, I have rebuild my data file, I removed 1Password from my iPhone and installed it again.

When opening 1Password on my iPhone, it says "Requesting remote data objects" (when I go to the Dropbox sync window fast enough) and then quits.

There is a 1PasswordSync folder made in my Dropbox, as well as a .ws.agile.1Password.settings file.
    De Sync folder is empty, my keychain is in another folder.

Please advice
  • ilove1password
    ilove1password
    Community Member
    edited July 2010
    Hi sandman4sure,

This might work for you:

1. Move your agile keychain out of your dropbox to another directory on your computer
    2. Delete the 1PasswordSync folder from your dropbox
    3. Delete the .ws.agile.1Password.settings from your dropbox
    4. Delete the 1Password app from your iPhone
    5. Redownload the 1Password app to your iPhone from the App Store
    6. Open the iPhone app and set up Dropbox syncing. This will recreate the 1PasswordSync folder and the .ws.agile.1Password.settings file. Of course, nothing will actually sync at this point because your keychain is not in your dropbox.
    7. Quit the app on your iPhone (if you have iOS4 you will need to double tap the home screen button, long press the 1Password app icon, and press the red minus symbol).
    8. Move your keychain back to your dropbox. You can put it in your new 1PasswordSync folder but you don't have to. Wait for it to upload the entire keychain to the Dropbox servers.
    9. Start the app on your iPhone and try to sync.

I hope that helps.
  • sandman4sure
    sandman4sure
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately now it already quits on Requesting Remote Encryption Keys.
    There isn't even a keychain in my dropbox now…
  • ilove1password
    ilove1password
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Which of the steps have you gone through?
  • sandman4sure
    sandman4sure
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    It stops with step 6. When I enable dropbox syncing on my iPhone (3G, so no multitasking) and then it quits.
  • RickS
    RickS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I am in the same situation.
    DropBox crash on step 6, or on "Requesting Remote Encryption Keys". i have a 3G with IOS 4.0
  • ilove1password
    ilove1password
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    sandman4sure, is the app actually crashing?
  • sandman4sure
    sandman4sure
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Yes, it crashes.
  • ilove1password
    ilove1password
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Try finishing the steps and see if it still crashes.
  • sandman4sure
    sandman4sure
    Community Member
    edited July 2010
    I moved the keychain back, (step 8 ) but the app still crashes.
    No way to get past the syncing process on my iPhone
This discussion has been closed.