How can I stop 1Password X from asking me to "Click OK to fill your 1Password item on..."?

Options

Comments

• Stimpack
    Stimpack
    Community Member
    Options

Well, found this thread and I'm here to add to it. My frustrations levels with this idiotic 2-click method are at an all-time high. It's a great program, but come on. At the very least allow for an option. To dismiss the concerns of ease-of-use because of "security" issues, while not allowing an option? You guys should be better than this.

• Jaron11
    Jaron11
    Community Member
    Options

Please fix this. I'd assumed—for too long—this was something that Chrome was pushing on 1Password. Come to find out it's by design. Shook, shocked. You've got a suitable settings infrastructure to provide this option in the Advanced section of your user preferences. You allow folks to access semi-dangers things like debugging tools where malicious actors could ask unsuspecting folks to run scripts...this setting is a no-brainer for a better UX.

• krsp
    krsp
    Community Member
    Options

+1 there should be an option to turn this off, period.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

iOS 16’s Allow Paste prompt just edges out 1Password’s “Click OK…” prompt as most annoying “security” feature.

• mbritt12
    mbritt12
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with everybody. This pop-up is extremely annoying. Please provide some alternative!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey all, I have added your feedback to the internal feature request that we have open for this. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

IDEA-I-1482

• petecurley
    petecurley
    Community Member
    Options

• jfp
    jfp
    Community Member
    Options

+1 from my side.
    This is incredibly annoying, especially as it also asks this when I use 1Password to fill in my address or smth.
    I actively chose to do this (click the 1Password icon in an input field and select an address from the dropdown), so I really don't want to confirm. I get this is a security feature, but as mentioned by several people now it should be up to the user to chose to disable it.

It should be a testament to just how inconvenient this is that many people (including me) took the time to google this and even add a comment...
    I actually even created an account for the support site just to express my disapproval.

• minnellac
    minnellac
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for me. I actually don't mind clicking ok once, but on a form with multiple fields I don't want to have to click ok every time I enter information using the inline form filler. If there was an option, I'd turn it off. It would be a better UX if there was an option to approve further requests in the next X minutes after the first time the user is prompted.

• AgencyHub
    AgencyHub
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for fixing this bug... Have had to click it more than 12 times today.
    I just created an account to leave this comment... and I never do that. ;-)

• g2gsr
    g2gsr
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

As a customer success manager for a SaaS company, it's mind-boggling to me that this request has not been addressed. You have five pages of users here that are expressing dissatisfaction with a feature (the vast majority requesting an option, not removal). Can you imagine how many people are finding this thread and not commenting? Does 1Password have customer success managers? If so, are they being evaluated based on industry standard metrics? How does 1Password evaluate and mitigate churn? It seems as though you aren't. The OP of this thread churned over 2 years ago, and there is still ZERO progress having been expressed by the 1Password team. At the very least, someone from 1Password should reply to this thread with something more than the obligatory "we hear/understand and will pass this along..." garbage response. Tell us where the issue is in dev. Tell us that it will never change so stop asking or leave. Although I suspect nothing will change, and nobody from 1Password will step up to tell us because you know that the majority of your users don't like the feature and WILL LEAVE.

Shame on the team involved in this; the devs, the product owner, the team members posting...everyone involved. The feature should be ON by default, and optional to turn off. This setting is no different than allowing me to specify a timeout for when I need to reauthenticate. If you were truly afraid that users could be inadvertently compromised, be it user error, neglect, or something malicious, you would require authentication for EACH use. Forcing me to click a confirm (with no option to change) for every fill while then giving me the option to set my app timeout to NEVER, and saying that you develop with a better safe than sorry mentality is laughable. Get this fixed.

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member
    Options

Doesn't seem like 1PW is listening to any user feedback but just in case, just my support for turning this "feature" off, or at least create a preference option to disable it.

• tim1980
    tim1980
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not going to repeat what everyone else has said over the past two years but everything that has been expressed so far is bang on. The only thing I wanted to add was that instead of waiting, hoping and praying that 1Password will finally address this issue (they won't), instead I've jumped ship to a competitor. I would have stayed with you guys forever if it wasn't for this one thing.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

This is the single-most infuriating “feature” of 1Password.

• alexlouden
    alexlouden
    Community Member
    Options

I registered to +1 this. It's incredibly frustrating, especially when filling in multiple fields in a long form. Going to go back to the classic extension for now.

• wilhuff
    wilhuff
    Community Member
    Options

I had to click through the OK button twice just to register to post this comment. Please, please, please, make this protection optional or smarter.

Note that there is precedent for features that have security trade-offs. For example, in Settings > Privacy > Watchtower > Check for vulnerable passwords, there's a trade-off for a certain class of user. It's not unreasonable to allow users to trade better usability at the expense of a greater vulnerability to certain kinds of rare attacks.

There have been multiple reasonable ways proposed to deal with this that would reduce this friction:
    * Allow users to opt out of protection via settings
    * If the user recently unlocked 1password due to clicking the 1password icon in a field, you can omit the confirmation, because a biometric or master password entry can't be clickjacked
    * Insist on the confirmation only once per page/site
    * Insist on the confirmation only for payment details but not other parts of an identity

One more I'll toss in the ring:
    * Use site reputation scores to inform whether or not to require confirmation.

• dsberger
    dsberger
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to have the option to disable this feature. I understand the risks associated with this but am willing to take those risks on. The prompt is essentially noise at this point and I don't even think about what it's asking me.

• brandonturner24
    brandonturner24
    Community Member
    Options

For the love. Please fix this nonsense. I finally convinced my wife to switch to 1Password from LastPass and know I'm getting this ridiculous popup anytime I fill information. Like several above have noted I got it twice just signing up for this site. It's insane. Please fix it before I follow my wife back to LastPass. Good grief.

• windybey
    windybey
    Community Member
    Options

I just signed up, just found this thread. Did i make a mistake leaving LastPass? 1Password prove to me you have a technical team and listen to community feedback. PLEASE!

• windybey
    windybey
    Community Member
    Options

I just signed up, just found this thread. Did i make a mistake leaving LastPass? 1Password prove to me you have a technical team and listen to community feedback. PLEASE! @Joy_1P - 2 months no update...?

• fok
    fok
    Community Member
    Options

so annoying, please fix this

• boliversmith
    boliversmith
    Community Member
    Options

Agree, this needs fixing. It is super annoying. Please prioritize with your product team.

• garyb2007
    garyb2007
    Community Member
    Options

Joined 1P yesterday with my 7-day trial period and thought that I was just missing a setting to remove this very very unnecessary prompt. Apparently not. Fortunately still have my LastPass account and am/have gone right back there.

You really should fix this.

• MarcusAntonius
    MarcusAntonius
    Community Member
    Options

Read through 5 pages to see there still isn't a resolution. Not quite to the cancel my subscription level but getting close. For the love of god the new version totally sucks. UI designed by programmers who don't understand UI.

• tpederson
    tpederson
    Community Member
    Options

Add my vote to the pile.

I greatly dislike this popup, there needs to be an option to opt out.

1P has an amazing opportunity here to take on such a large number of LastPass users, like me permanently.

However, I'm already looking again for a different password manager. It is unacceptable to me when a software development team takes some dogmatic position, and will not make something like this an option, because of some nebulous "security concern".

Being a software engineer myself, I know that adding an option here can't take more than a few lines of code total, so the choice must be a decision based on, "the principle of the thing."

Have you ever heard someone say they were or weren't doing something because of "the principle"? In my experience, that isn't ever a reasoning that can be defended.

I am also here just like everyone else You and I might understand the risks, but not everyone is as well-versed as we are. A very good friend of mine once told me, "Not everyone flies as fast as we do" I have heeded his advice since that day, over a decade ago. I often think back to it. I will be happy to let the team know you would like some type of change here. I can't make promises, but I can advocate for your position.

To respond to @ag_tommy specifically, if you make the option default to on, then the people who aren't "well-versed" won't disable it, because their level of tech literacy would be too low to find and disable the option.

--

Please 1P, treat us like adults. Let us disable a feature that we don't want.

• justynr
    justynr
    Community Member
    Options

This is exactly where I am.
    I'm switching away from LastPass, this is one of a few features that I'm missing that would be great to have.
    Even a toggle to turn it off along with a warning of what could happen if, in the very rare event, a site clicks the field for you and knows that 1Password is being used.

Every other password manager I've tried, Chrome, Firefox all have this - autofill - feature figured out.

• mackinlay53
    mackinlay53
    Community Member
    Options

Add another vote to the pile.

As mentioned in a previous comment by @tpederson I greatly dislike this popup, there needs to be an option to opt out.

1P has an amazing opportunity here to take on such a large number of LastPass users, like me permanently.

However, I'm already looking again for a different password manager. It is unacceptable to me when a software development team takes some dogmatic position, and will not make something like this an option, because of some nebulous "security concern".

To respond to @ag_tommy specifically, if you make the option default to on, then the people who aren't "well-versed" won't disable it, because their level of tech literacy would be too low to find and disable the option.

Please 1P, treat us like adults. Let us disable a feature that we don't want.

• tpederson
    tpederson
    Community Member
    Options

@justynr has a great point.

Every other password manager I've tried, Chrome, Firefox all have this - autofill - feature figured out.

If this pop-up is for security, and no other auto fill, in nearly every browser on the entire Internet is using this pop up, then most people in the world are subject to this vulnerability.

So, by the logic presented here by 1Password, even if a fraction of users were getting click jacked, the law of large numbers would require that staggering numbers of people would be falling victim to their info being harvested in this manner.

I have never seen this mentioned in any of the security feeds I follow. I find it difficult to believe that keeping this pop-up is worth alienating customers.

This discussion has been closed.