1Password slow [when Touch ID is enabled]

Options
124»

Comments

• Same here... most noticeable when needing to open the app and unlock with touch
    ID. 13" Intel-based macbook pro 2020 running OS 11.1 Big Sur
    1Password 7
    Version 7.7 (70700016)
    Mac App Store

• SandorF
    SandorF
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I am not sure if this has been fixed yet. but I am experiencing the same slow response.
    When I want to login with Touch ID, after touching it takes about 3-5 second for 1Password to open.

• hobbes444
    hobbes444
    Community Member
    Options

It's worse for me with 7.7.1 beta4. Takes regularly up to 8s for the Touch ID unlock popup to appear and after unlocking, it takes again 5-8s for 1password to load...

MacBook Pro on Big Sur 11.1

• jjt
    jjt
    Community Member
    Options

If you do downgrade, make sure to disable automatic updates in the settings.

Also, here's a link to the 7.6 download, straight from 1password.com: https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/mac7/1Password-7.6.zip

• hobbes444
    hobbes444
    Community Member
    Options

@jjt , I sent diagnostic early December and was suggested to try the beta. 7.7.1 beta1 was working better for me for sure and somewhere in-between it became worse.

Our development team has noticed some Touch ID issues in the latest version of 1Password. They are working on a fix and should hopefully have it released to our beta testers soon. I am really sorry that I don't have a better answer, but can I ask you to wait for this new beta to be released to see if that fixes the issues you are having?
    Some users have reported that disabling Touch ID and turning it back on has helped them resolve some of the Touch ID issues going on. You're more than welcome to try the following:
    1. Open your Mac System Preferences (Settings) and select Touch ID.
    2. Disable "use Touch ID for: unlocking your Mac."
    3. Restart your device.
    4. Go back to system preferences and turn "use Touch ID for unlocking your Mac" back on.
    5. Open 1Password > click 1Password7 (top left corner) > Preferences > Security > Turn Touch ID on.

Disabling touchID did not help in my case, same regular 5-10s delay...

• ThomasB_Denmark
    ThomasB_Denmark
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hi all,

I've had the same slowness/beachballing issues for a long time, and have just now gotten around to searching for a solution.

What seems to have immediately worked for me, was simply to Quit 1Password Completely (Ctrl-Option-Command-Q) – this has made everything snappy again :)

Now whether this will have fixed it forever, or the slowness will creep back remains to be seen. But while the Dev-team finds a fix, I just wanted to confirm that the above certainly can help.

This is on a:

• MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
    • 2,3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
    • 16 GB RAM
    • macOS Big Sur 11.1
    • 1Password 7 - Version 7.7 (70700015)
  • Ben
    Options

This improvement has been made in the 7.7.1 BETA-5 version:

Increased memory usage leading to overall sluggish response from the app after editing multiple items {#5191}

If you are not already using the latest beta and are having performance issues with 1Password for Mac please give this version a try:

Use 1Password beta releases

Ben

• ianwensink
    ianwensink
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thank you for releasing a new beta to fix the issues.

For me, though, it doesn't solve the initial problem. Even after installing the latest beta, a fresh Macbook start-up, it takes seconds before the mini appears with the Touch ID prompt.

Hope this helps you in researching the issue some more.

Thank you for the work!

• hobbes444
    hobbes444
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, I installed beta6, still the same issue as far as I can tell. I exited 1password completely and it's still 5s when I launched it again until the touchID prompt. Not saying it's a 1password issue btw, it might very well be a macOS bug...

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

7.7.1 beta6 here. still takes 5 to 10 seconds to login through Touch ID. i've been disabling it but tried again with the latest beta, but same issue.

• ianwensink
    ianwensink
    Community Member
    Options

I see a great improvement in Version 7.7.1.BETA-7 (70701007)!

For me it is ranging from almost instant to ~ 1 second. I will keep monitoring if this will depreciate or keep up.

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

I have not installed the beta so I'm still runing 1Password 7.7 (70700016).

However 1Password suddenly seems much faster. The change happened after I installed the latest macOS OS/security updates (now on 10.15.7 19H512) - I don't know if that's related.

1Password still slow to unlock - but it no longer beachballs. Switching vaults and saving changes to items no longer beachballs, and has become almost instantaneous. Calling up 1Password Mini using ⌘\ has become almost instantaneous.

The incessant beachballing appears to have completely stopped. I haven't seen a single beachball!

• hobbes444
    hobbes444
    Community Member
    Options

7.7.1 beta7 is significantly better so far for me as well. It's less than 5s each time so far (2-3s on average). Still not as fast as I'd like it to be, but significantly better.

• Neakor
    Neakor
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. It is very slow for me too.

• kevindierkx
    kevindierkx
    Community Member
    Options

I've upgraded to the beta release recommended by @Ben, this greatly improved my performance of both the main application and the mini.

Currently running:

1Password 7
    Version 7.7.1.BETA-7 (70701007)
    1Password Beta

On a 16" MacbookPro, base model, with the latest updates available to me (11.2.1 (20D74)).

• BenSussman
    BenSussman
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same very-slow-touchID problem that everyone here is reporting (5s to display the touchID prompt). The app is snappy and works great except when locked. It is definitly TouchID related, as disabling that feature makes it snappy(ish >500ms but <1s) again.

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

I spoke too soon - beachballing is back with a vengeance.

• Unlock vault -> beachball for 5-10 seconds
    • Save changes to item -> beachball for 5-10 seconds
    • Switch vaults -> -> beachball for 5-10 seconds

It looks like the problem only went away when I updated macOS because it entailed a reboot - and as with all previous reboots, the problem comes back after a while.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

Thanks for all of the comments.

Rebooting will likely provide short-term relief. The fix for this is in beta, so at the moment the only way to see any long-term improvement would be to install the beta version. If all goes well we'll hopefully be shipping a non-beta release containing those changes soon.

Use 1Password beta releases

If you'd like to stop using the beta (e.g. once we have a non-beta release with the changes) instructions for that are also in the above linked guide.

Ben

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    Options

After updating to 1Password 7.8 on 12 March 2021, the slowness has not come back for me - so it looks like this issue is fixed now.

• jjt
    jjt
    Community Member
    Options

Version 7.8.1 (70801003) also seems to have fixed this, but I also noticed other general disk access improvements in recent Big Sur, so if anyone else is still experiencing slowness, make sure to upgrade Mac OS as well (currently on 11.2.3).

This discussion has been closed.