1Password slow [when Touch ID is enabled]

Options

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020
    Options

@Samplex et al.

A new beta was released earlier. Can you give that a go? We hope it resolves the issues you have been experiencing.

Enable betas.

• @Samplex

I am sorry it did not work for you. The day Ben wrote to you, the CS team was not aware of a new beta being released. His reply was totally accurate and honest. The development team releases betas.

As soon as I upgraded to beta 4, my issues with Touch ID were resolved. From looking over a few forum posts this morning, we have had a mixed set of results. Most have reported success, but some, such as yourself, continue to experience problems. We will continue to look into your reports.

Can you try toggling Touch ID off and On again in System Preferences > Touch ID. You will need to enter your macOS user password in the authentication prompt. Follow that with checking 1Password to make sure Touch ID is enabled within the app. 1Password > Preferences > Security.

That's the only other step that I took yesterday in trying to replicate a users issue before beta 4 was released. Perhaps it's the missing ingredient?

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020
    Options

A further set of steps has been reported successful in this community topic and with others via email. Once you're on the latest beta,

1. Disable Touch ID and/or Apple Watch unlock in 1Password Preferences > Security and in System Preferences
    2. Check for and install any available macOS updates.
    3. An SMC reset. https://support.apple.com/HT201295 (* if applicable to your device)
    4. Restart the Mac.
    5. Setup your unlock method(s) again.
  • daniel110928
    daniel110928
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

The new beta seems to solve my issues! Last couple of days I've been running the 1Password 7.7.1.BETA-4 on a MacBook Air with M1 using Big Sur 11.1, TouchID and the Safari Extension seems to be working now. :)

• knbrlo
    knbrlo
    Community Member
    Options

Also experiencing really slow response times from the application when I'm using TouchID on my mac running BigSur. Whenever I click the 1Password button on the chrome extension it'll take anywhere from 3 to 6 seconds to load where it was 1 second before.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

We've been working hard to resolve any slowness / performance issues in 1Password for Mac. One of the primary focuses of v7.7.1-BETA4 was these issues. It appears we've addressed some situations (e.g. daniel110928 above reports the problem is resolved) but not all. We're continuing to make these issues a top priority and will release beta updates as soon as possible. Updates have been a little slower than normal due to the holiday season, and I apologize for that. We'll keep hammering on it. Thank you.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#5172

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

glad to see i'm not the only one experiencing this. i'm using the latest 1Password beta (1Password 7 Version 7.7.1.BETA-4 (70701004) 1Password Beta) and Big Sur 11.1 (20C69). MBP 13 2020 maxed out, 1Password takes about 5 seconds to ask for TouchID. reverted back to using password, which opens in maybe half a second.

• Ben
    Options

@godbout

Thanks for sharing. That is indeed one of the cases we've seen some reports of continued slowness even on beta 4. Hopefully we can get that fixed up in a beta soon.

Ben

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    Options

hi @Ben, are the devs investigating the general slowness introduced in version 7.7, not just time to unlock with Touch ID?

For example if I save changes to an item, 1Password becomes unresponsive and then beachballs for 5-10 seconds before I can do anything. Other users have reported similar issues.

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    Options

thanks @Ben!

yes, i have the same experience as @semblance. i'm not sure if it started with 7.7, but 1Password has been more and more frustrating to use over the last months, unfortunately.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This discussion is about Touch ID specifically. If you're having trouble with that, please try the beta and let us know the specifics if you continue having trouble.

If you're having other performance issues, it's likely that the beta will help, but that can be discussed separately to avoid confusion, misunderstandings, and duplication of effort, all of which make things more difficult for you and everyone else here. Thanks for understanding.

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hi @brenty

• Starting in 1Password 7.7, the app has suddenly started freezing and beachballing for 5-10 seconds when unlocking a vault with Touch ID
    • Starting in 1Password 7.7, the app has suddenly started freezing and beachballing for 5-10 seconds when saving changes to an item or switching vaults

If I "Quit 1Password completely", both problems go away at the same time.

After a few days, both problems come back and slowly get worse, at the same time. When one of those things beachballs, so do all the others.

Before 1Password 7.7, there was no beachballing.

Are you sure these are unrelated issues? That would seem like an extraordinary coincidence.

There is a separate thread of people complaining about the general beachballing issue since 1Password 7.7, not specific to unlocking with Touch ID: https://1password.community/discussion/117208/1password-reaaally-slow-after-7-7-update

• joostgadellaa
    joostgadellaa
    Community Member
    Options

I've updated to 7.7.1.BETA-4 and performed the steps including an SMC reset completely, but without a result. When 1p is locked it takes about 3 seconds or more for the window to appear. I'm on macOS 10.15.7, but can't update to Big Sur at this moment. Is there anything else I can try?

• choorel
    choorel
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, have there been any updates to this situation? I am having all of the same issues in the previous comments and wondered when or if there would be a fix. Thank you!!

• jacobgraf
    jacobgraf
    Community Member
    Options

Can we get an update on this? It's maddening. ANY interaction with 1Password (Mac Desktop, Mini, whatever) the beachball spins for 5+ seconds and you have to sit there waiting. It's extremely frustrating. I am on the latest release of Big Sur and the latest beta release of 1Password. Please, any fixes here?

• jellis212
    jellis212
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to register that I also have the issue where the 1pw login window is slow to appear when TouchID is enabled. I'm on the latest beta. Looking forward to a fix. Thanks!

• RDye
    RDye
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this issue? In the meantime, I recommend reverting to Version 7.6 (70600005) which works perfectly for me under macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and Big Sur 11.0.1. I also recommend that 1Password pull Version 7.7 until these performance issues are corrected and fully tested. The new features in Version 7.7 are certainly not worth the horrible performance hit.

• daniel110928
    daniel110928
    Community Member
    Options

I quick update; after about 7 days the 7.7-BETA4 began to lock up my computer. I've disabled the Safari extension and it's been fine for the last 10 days. Not great since the extension is really convient, but it works for now. :'(

• hobbes444
    hobbes444
    Community Member
    Options

Same here on 7.7.1 beta4, still slow. ~5s delay happen very often when launching 1password mini: simply nothing happens for 5s after pressing the keyboard shortcut. (macOS Big Sur 11.1)

• jjt
    jjt
    Community Member
    Options

Tried quitting completely, resetting the SMC, turning off/on unlocking my mac with touch id, still beach balls on most activities (unlock, opening preferences, switching tabs on preferences, etc). Both for mainline 7.7 and beta4. Big Sur 11.0.1, late 2020 MBP (m1).

Downgraded to 7.6 and everything is working nicely.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

There is no SMC on M1 machines, so it wouldn't be possible to reset it and unfortunately that rules out one of the troubleshooting steps that has been successful for some experiencing issues on Intel Macs. It is interesting that some have reported that the issue does not present itself in v7.6. Using that version may be a possible workaround until we're able to track down the cause of the problem and address it. At this point we don't know what is causing the remaining performance issues some are experiencing with 7.7.1-BETA4 but we are continuing to investigate those reports.

Another possible workaround here would be to uninstall 1Password for Mac and the "1Password extension (desktop app required)" browser extension and to install 1Password X:

Get to know 1Password X

Our development team continues to work toward finding the root cause here. In the meantime hopefully the above suggestions help. I'm not aware of any additional troubleshooting steps at this time but we will update this thread if further information becomes available.

Ben

• crichards
    crichards
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue on my 16" macbook pro 2019. It takes around 20 seconds for it to open from the main app or the chrome extension

This discussion has been closed.