Windows version forces saving an attachment to view it

Using the Windows 10 client, in order to view an attachment to a 1Password entry, I am forced to ‘save’ the attachment (to some place like the Downloads folder), and then view it. This seems to not only be a pretty convoluted set of steps, but creates potential security issues because images like drivers licenses, passports, etc. end up on the PC unless the user remembers to remove them afterwards.

This issue does not happen with the IOS, iPadOS, or macOS versions - I can just ‘view’ the attachment without any extra steps.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home v 20H2, build 19042.630
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Windows view attachment must save

Comments

• GregGreg

Team Member

Hi @rckingsley,

Thank you for getting in touch! You are not missing anything.

When you preview a document item in 1Password for Mac, your document is downloaded and decrypted temporarily for the session, and and if you click Show in Finder, you'll see it is located in a temporary area on the Mac.

This behaviour is different on Windows, because the current version of 1Password 7 for Windows supports only JPG, PNG, GIF, and BMP image previews, if they are smaller than 1MB in size.

The preview for PDF documents is not available on Windows, because Windows uses Microsoft Edge as its viewer and we are not able to integrate it into 1Password. It means that we have the following options for it:

• Write our own viewers for a wide variety of file types

• Add 3rd party code for viewing file formats to 1Password

• Utilize 1st or 3rd party viewers to display inline

Since the security of your data in 1Password is out top priority, option 2 and option 3 are very risky. Option 1 is also not really feasible, but we are still looking at ways to bring the preview of different files to 1Password on Windows. That is why you have to save your documents first now.

Please let me know if it answers your question. If you have any further questions, we are here to help. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Clump123Clump123
    edited November 27

Hi. Wasn't preview on windows 10 a feature not very long ago? I can preview images I've attached 20 days ago, but if I try and attach the same image again now, it doesn't give me a preview. Was this feature removed? It was very useful

edit: To clarify, I have images which I uploaded previously which can be previewed, but if I place those same images in the documents folder now, they can't be (PNG files). Some of these pictures are less than 1MB in size also.

• GregGreg

Team Member

Hi @Clump123,

There have been no changes regarding preview in 1Password 7 for Windows recently, so I am not sure what is going on. I created a Document item with a .PNG just now and the preview works just fine:

Could you please give it some time to upload and refresh? Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file