The "soonest" one can get 1P on a completely new phone?

Options
jmjm
jmjm
Community Member
edited November 2020 in Android

Pre 1P, I have done a transfer of one Android phone to another mostly using the Google phone backup from the Google Drive.

And I quote:

On the Bring your data from… screen, tap A backup from the cloud. Sign into your Google Account and agree to the terms. A list of backup options will appear, select the most relevant backup to restore the data.

So do I have this correct ie to access my phone backup in Google Drive to be able to install it on my new phone, I will need to sign into my Google Account 'manually' ie typing in character by character on my phone?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @jmjm, thank you for reaching out to us.

1Password for Android currently does not support Google Drive, although it does support Dropbox, WLAN, and local storage. Could you clarify if you're already using 1Password?

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ag_audrey. I am a successful user of 1P via subscription on my current Android phone

I am just trying to plan the mechanics of restoring a new phone using the automatic phone backup that exists in Google Drive.

Am I correct in thinking that on a new phone it wont be possible to reestablish my 1P account to be able to use it to do the first _re_sign in(s) into my Google Account(s)?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmjm:

If the restore from backup happens before 1Password is installed on that device, then for the first login you will need to enter your Google account password manually, since 1Password at that point cannot be installed on your device yet.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

So it is possible, is it recommended, to install 1P prior to accessing the Google generated phone backup?

(Otherwise one might have to type on one's phone a crazy long 1P generated pw)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmjm:

(Otherwise one might have to type on one's phone a crazy long 1P generated pw)

The same chicken-and-egg situation happens on iOS too: you cannot install apps before having added your Apple ID, so there are cases where you need to enter some passwords manually. Restoring a device is one of those, so to make this simpler, the recommendation is to use word-based passwords for these accounts, so that they are easier to type.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

the recommendation is to use word-based passwords for these accounts,

Thanks @ag_ana for the confirmation as I do use word based pw for such accounts.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.