1Password keeps locking

I really like 1Password and I use it on my iMac with the latest Edge version. One thing that is really annoying that it gets locked all the time even when I set automatic lock to disable. I consider my iMac save at my home so I would like to have a switch that it never ever locks again unless I tell it to.

1Password Version: 7.7.1
Extension Version: 1.23.0
OS Version: 11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaronag_yaron

Team Member

Hey @stephan1827 ,

1Password in your browser is limited to the environment of your browser, meaning that if you quit the browser completely (or restart/shutdown the computer), it will kill 1Password's session immediately, regardless of the auto-lock settings. If you want 1Password to remain unlocked, simply use the red X button on the top left corner of Edge to close Edge's window, and it will keep Edge running in the background without you quitting it completely.

Also, let's make sure that you've disabled the auto-lock properly:

1. Right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your Edge's toolbar (might be hiding inside a little puzzle piece icon) and select "Settings".
    2. Turn off "Automatically lock 1Password".
    3. Test and see if 1Password still locks up (but do not quit Edge or restart/shutdown the computer).

Let me know if that helps.

• Thx for the quick response, I still dont understand why this can not be persistent when I close browser. The are other settings that it remembers just fine.

• ag_yaronag_yaron

Team Member

Hey @stephan1827 ,

Extensions cannot continue working when you close the browser, and are killed as soon as you close it. We cannot keep 1Password unlocked when you quit the browser without keeping your Master Password somewhere on your hard drive, which is a big no-no from our security standpoint.

We are, however, working on integrating 1Password in the browser with our desktop app, which will allow you to keep 1Password unlocked even when you close the browser, and it will remain unlocked for as long as the desktop app is unlocked. They will share that state regardless of the browser's activity.

So keep your apps up to date and stay tuned :)

• I'm confused. I thought it was already integrated in previous versions (before 1Password X was a thing). This seems like a step back in terms of functionality. What happened?

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@x_x:

The integration was temporarily removed while our developers work on replacing it with something that works even better. Please see this announcement here in the forum for all the details:

Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file