how do i get 1password x sub-domain matching to select the right login?

Comments

• guarrdon
    guarrdon
    Community Member

Any updates on this? Incredibly frustrating for something so simple.

• DudeThatsErin
    DudeThatsErin
    Community Member

+1 on this. Can we get an official statement?
    As a web dev this is making me want to switch my family to Bitwarden.

• Daniels90
    Daniels90
    Community Member

Also +1 for sub-domain matching. It would be a simple feature to implement as a setting (which could even be turned off by default). But it would at least make sub-domain matching available to the users who, for example, need it desperately due to client privacy.

• xbo
    xbo
    Community Member

Cmon 1Pass. Just add an option in Preferences: "Allways distinct subdomains" for power users!

• smwardle
    smwardle
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Another +1 here for full URL matches at least displaying first.

• ferni
    ferni
    Community Member

+1 for Subdomain Matching. All our tools are hosted under the company domain, so the suggestion list is always huge and the right one is never on top

• M42cel
    M42cel
    Community Member

Another +1 for this feature.
    I understand that the current behavior is a feature and it won't make sense to completely change this and now show logins of other subdomains anymore.

What would be really nice if you had a checkbox when editing the login like:
    [ ] Only suggest if subdomain matches

What I would expect:
    Given:
    Login A: subA.example.com
    Login B: subB.example.com

When checked for both

Then:
    Login A would show up for subA.example.com and also *.subA.example.com (e.g. subSub.subA.example.com) but not for example.com and also not subB.example.com or anywhere else.

• Gabrie
    Gabrie
    Community Member

Well.... colleague has been testing 1Password to be used in our corporate environment. We're a Service Provider, managing about a 100 customers, 5000 servers. After buying 250 licenses 1Password for our company we just discovered this issue and seems he only tested this in his personal situation and not in our corp network :-( Migration to 1Password has come to a halt because of this.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Looks like this feature is implemented in the new beta builds. Just updated to 1Password for Windows 8.9.11 (80911001).

Here, you can choose the following settings:

And this setting is available in 1Password beta for Firefox 2.6.1.:

Actually, I don't know if these settings belong together. Let's test ... πŸ˜‰

• Edwinem
    Edwinem
    Community Member

Though I'm glad that it seems this feature is in the works, why the radio silence of almost 5 months from 1password?

• GDZ
    GDZ
    Community Member

@Ewinem: I don't want to spam, but maybe if each of us commenters again takes the 2 min. to briefly ask here for feedback from the 1password teams, this will maybe happen.

• Edwinem
    Edwinem
    Community Member

@GDZ That may be a good idea. Though, I've already posted a request for an update three times since the last update (July 26).

• Hi all.

As @DenalB, the autofill behaviour toggle is now live in Beta. We made a mention of it in the release notes:

You can choose when a Login item is displayed as an autofill suggestion on a website. Edit the item, then click beside the website field to see the available settings.

Features in Beta aren't always 100% guaranteed to make it to the Production version; there could be a delay in doing that, or there might be a bug discovered which means the feature is withdrawn for a while to fix it, or (depending on feedback) the feature may be withdrawn completely. Because of this, we don't always make too much of a fuss about new things in Beta, although some headline features like "Sign in with..." are exceptions, since they're totally new and show the direction we're going.

Once features make their way to the Production (stable) channel, that's when you'll usually see more about them, particularly in the release notes.

☞ 1Password Releases blog

Hope that helps clarify things, but as always, if you have any questions, please let me (or any of the team) know. :)

β€” Grey

• Edwinem
    Edwinem
    Community Member

@GreyM1P Thank you for the update, much appreciated. I have one question: is this functionality available in the beta version of the (standalone) browser extension? I'm not seeing it in the beta release notes for it. If not, are there plans to implement it?

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

@GreyM1P So does this mean every login item needs to be updated? Or can the default be switched to the Only fill on this exact domain?

EDIT: downloaded the beta. Doesn't look like there is an overall setting for this, instead you have to edit every login item.

Also, I'm not able to get it to work with Chrome? Does the browser extension need to be updated as well?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Doesn't look like there is an overall setting for this, instead you have to edit every login item.

And it would be more than great to have such a global setting to change the suggestion behavior for all logins. πŸ‘

• Edwinem
    Edwinem
    Community Member

And it would be more than great to have such a global setting to change the suggestion behavior for all logins. πŸ‘

Indeed!

• ikjadoon
    ikjadoon
    Community Member

I had just replied in a separate thread and lo behold to see @DenalB's reply is a sight for sore eyes. This is what we've been dealing with, without this feature 😭

Thank you to the dev at 1Password who either got stuck with this or was as frustrated as we lowly users were.

• deanoakley
    deanoakley
    Community Member

We also have had this issue for years. We have hundreds of sites on dev subdomains and have issues on other sites that use subdomains. Please make a global option to match only the FQDN.

• change02
    change02
    Community Member

+1 !!!!

• klafredo
    klafredo
    Community Member

I am looking to migrate from LassPass which has this feature. Without this feature I cannot move to 1Password.

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2023

Hi @deanoakley @change02 - thanks for letting us know this would be a valuable feature for you. As @GreyM1P mentioned, this is one that has currently made it into the Beta versions of the browser extension and desktop app, so if you'd like to switch to those release channels, you're welcome to give the feature a try. And we'll be happy to have your feedback!

@klafredo - thanks for sharing with us that this is a critical feature for you. We do hope to bring it to Production, pending the requisite testing (and as mentioned, it is already present in our recent Beta and Nightly releases of the app). In the meantime, if you'd like any assistance with moving over to 1Password, do let me know - our team will be happy to answer questions and provide help with anything you might need.

• Edwinem
    Edwinem
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P Thank you for confirming that this is also available on the beta browser extension! How does it work? I can't seem to find the setting on the beta version.

• archetypist
    archetypist
    Community Member

I tried beta on Windows 11 and Android just now. I don't see a setting for this, and I see no improvement in URL matching. I am a web developer and have many cases where I might have dozens of subsites under the same FQDN, often not using subdomains but somesite.com/site1, somesite.com/site2 etc. Moved from LastPass and it matched URLs exactly, and it is a crucial feature for me.

• Edwinem
    Edwinem
    Community Member

Ah, I found out how to make this work in the chrome extension. Because the chrome extension can be used standalone, I didn't realize the desktop app is currently required to make this feature work. So in addition to the chrome extension beta, I downloaded the Win10 desktop app beta. In the Win10 app, I found the new setting, and this setting caries over to the chrome extension.

I'm already loving this new feature very much but would like to see an option in the standalone chrome extension.

• Hey @archetypist,

You should see this setting if you edit an item and then click on the sort icon next the website URL:

@Edwinem, it's great the you are loving this feature!

I have passed your feedback on to our product team in regards to not requiring the desktop app to be able to use this functionality.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with!

ref: PB-30180546

• Edwinem
    Edwinem
    Community Member

@steph.giles I do have one more question: as can be seen on your screenshot, there is a 'default' behaviour (fill anywhere on this website). Is there any way to change this default? I want to use the second option from the list for my entire account (for all safes and all items).

• Hey @Edwinem,

This is currently not possible but that is a great idea so I have gone ahead and passed this suggestion on as well.

Thank you!

ref: PB-30249999

• Edwinem
    Edwinem
    Community Member

@steph.giles Thank you for the update! One more suggestion that has been made a few times in this thread is the ability to match urls strictly. It would be a very, very much appreciated addition. An example use case:

• example.com/customer1/loginpage
    • example.com/customer2/loginpage
    • example.com/customer3/loginpage

Currently, going to any of these pages would show all the logins for example.com.

• You're welcome @Edwinem, thanks for getting back to me with this. We are always looking to improve the autofill behaviour of 1Password. This thread details some more information on where we are currently at: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/672472/

I hope this helps!