One Time Password QR code scanner improvements

asbjornu
asbjornu
Community Member
edited June 2021 in Mac

I've installed 1Password through App Store and as discussed in the following thread, the QR scanner for One Time Passwords is (still) not working great. Recommending that anyone who wants to use two-factor authentication switch to the non-App Store version of your app is a bad solution.

The most obvious deficiency is of course that the scanner is unable to photograph the web page directly. This would not have been a huge issue, if only dragging and dropping the image from the web page worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, that only works in one of ten cases. Usually, the QR code is generated on the fly by the web page, served with invalid content type and as such isn't recognized as an image the second it is being dragged from the web page. Other times, the image is in SVG format, which 1Password's QR code scanner doesn't seem to support at all.

Sometimes, dragging the QR code to "Downloads" and then from "Downloads" to 1Password's QR code scanner works. Sometimes, that too doesn't work. Then the last resort is to take a screenshot of the QR code, which would also have been an easy solution if 1Password's QR code scanner only supported pasting the screenshot directly into it. Alas, it doesn't. So I have to save the screenshot to a file, find the fil and then drag that file into the scanner. Tedious!

Please improve the QR code scanner. The most obvious ways to do it is to:

1. Make sure it supports drag and drop from web pages consistently across all browsers,
  2. Add support for all common image formats, especially SVG.
  3. Add support for copy paste of image data from a newly captured screenshot.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:one time password scanner

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @asbjornu!

Thank you for the feedback on this. As you correctly said, our recommendation is to use the website version of 1Password where there are no limitations in the functionality of the QR code scanner. We will keep an eye on how we can improve the experience in the Mac App Store version of 1Password in the future too though, in case something changes there :+1:

• asbjornu
    asbjornu
    Community Member

Hi, @ag_ana. My three suggestions for improvement should be possible to implement in the App Store version of 1Password and would improve it immensely.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@asbjornu:

Understood, I will be happy to pass your thoughts to the developers :+1:

This discussion has been closed.