1PW8 - Missing Category view in left bar

Options
13»

Comments

• Stilgar
    Stilgar
    Community Member
    Options

I came to the community for the first time in about five years looking for this same thing. I've read the threads and I understand the design challenges at play, but I also find the drop down inconvenient. I'd prefer to have a collapsable tree under each vault in the left pane, or maybe an expanding pane...or even a list I could filter for vaults I want to see? Maybe if I could "favorite" an entire category? Trying to give you some design options here. The drop-down isn't bad enough to make me want to quit using 1password, but it has been a disruption to my workflow; I've been using the 8 beta for several months now.

• ag_mike_d
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi @Stilgar, thanks for your feedback and ideas here. I've noted your comments for the team's review. :)

ref: dev/core/core#9299

• aexvir
    aexvir
    Community Member
    Options

the missing categories on the sidebar and the lack of 1pw mini is completely making me not want to use 1pw8
    it feels like such a huge step back on user experience :frown:

so another +1 to this problem, although it will probably not end up going anywhere

• We do appreciate the feedback, @aexvir, and we're keeping track of it. Thank you for contributing!

• Thanks for the feedback everyone. 🤗

We've been doing some experimentation on enabling categories to be added to the sidebar. Be sure to check out the exploring sidebar categories thread for details and add your thoughts and 👍🏻 if it's what you were hoping for.

Take care,

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare THANK YOU for bringing the categories back to the sidebar!!!!!! I have just installed the update. GREAT!!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for saying so, @telephoneman2. Glad to hear you like the update. :)

Ben

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare just one optimizing thing - maybe it makes sense to synchronize the selection of categories in Side bar with the upper filter and have it selectable in both places. So I can switch the cateogry from the upper bar as well? That should fit both ways to use it. Currently once I am selecting sidebar I can't use the upper bar before switch to "all objects"

• Hey @Stilgar @aexvir, just want to let you know that there is now an option in the latest Beta to add Categories permanently to the sidebar if you prefer that layout. 👍

In case you're curious to try it, you can do this by downloading (or updating to) the 8.6.0-6 Beta, and then:

1. Select Settings > Appearance
    2. Turn the Categories option under "Always Show in Sidebar" to on.

What do you think? We'll be eager to have your impressions of the change! 😀

• aexvir
    aexvir
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

I can confirm that this is a really welcome change for me; it's so much nicer to actually have useful data on the sidebar 😅️
    thanks for listening to the feedback!!

as bonus point, it would be nice if the categories could be sorted; that would allow for more relevant information display... I've seen this mentioned in some other post and just wanted to +1 on that

but still, I'm really happy that this change has landed 🙂

• Thanks for the shout out, @telephoneman2!

Glad you're enjoy the change. Regarding keeping the selection in between the sidebar and the item list filter, I see where you're coming but they have different intents so I'm happy we've kept them separate. I believe were we landed strikes a good balance between the various concerns. Time will tell though – it always does. 🙂

@aexvir: It's great to hear you like the update. Thanks for letting us know it was important to you. 🤗 I hear you on your +1 for further sidebar customization. It's definitely something I could see us adding at some point.

Take care,

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• Stilgar
    Stilgar
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with everything aexvir said. Happy to see this return. Glad we got an implementation that was workable.

• We're glad you like the implementation, @stilgar! Thanks for providing feedback along the way.

This discussion has been closed.