Quick Access versus Browser Extension and Keyboard Shortcuts

Options

Currently Quick Access does not have any sense of context. I hope this changes prior to general release to match or exceed what Mini had. Regardless, the browser extensions do have such contextual awareness. So, has anyone thought about letting the browser extensions "take over" from Quick Access when using the keyboard shortcut used for Quick Access (which I gather will later be user-definable)? This would enable us to memorize just one shortcut, but when in a browser with a "modern" extension (the ones that can be standalone, yet also integrate to the desktop app, like what 1P 8 requires in Safari) that would be triggered, not Quick Access. This could be a setting in the browser extension to sync shortcut or something.

I'm coming around to Quick Access being not Mini, but what we'd mainly use outside browsers (although, note that I have used 1P Mini in apps like Terminal too for key passphrases and ssh passwords, as well as to generate passwords, none of which Quick Access does at the moment). But that breaks with habit if the modern extensions aren't able to use the exact same method of invocation when within the web browser they are in.

1Password Version: 8.2.0-44.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: 11.5.2/20G95 ARM

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to write to us about this @alexclst .

I can definitely see where you're coming from and the logic behind your thoughts.
    1Password for Safari can work in two ways. It can work individually as an independent extension even if you don't have any desktop app installed at all, but it can also work alongside the 1Password 8 desktop app and integrate with it.

Since it is a fully-capable independent extension, it has separate keyboard shortcuts, as intended. If you set the same keyboard shortcut for both Quick Access and the extension's popup, you'll get unwanted behavior such as both of them opening simultaneously.

I'll forward your feedback and thoughts here to the team, perhaps what you are asking is possible. :)

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_yaron. Where do you change the keyboard shortcut for the Safari extension anyway? I don't see that anywhere. I understand that using the same shortcut may have unintended consequences, but I just don't even see where I'd do that.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup @alexclst ,

1Password for Safari indeed does not have the option to change the keyboard shortcut yet.
    I'll add it to the feature request I opened for you. :)

Thanks for bringing it up! Let me know if you have further feedback on the matter.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#878

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this post!

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    Options

This is kind of funny because it was quite easy to use 1P Mini instead of the browser extension/X to fill anywhere (including the browser), so you only had to memorize one shortcut. Now that Mini has been demolished, this request is essentially asking the browser extension to become the new Mini. Perhaps the original should have been kept? ;)

My actual preference is that the new Quick Access become contextually aware so I can it all the time instead of the browser extension. Though again, this is because my real want is that having one thing (QA/mini) that looks the same and fills in everywhere.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional feedback here.

Quick access' purpose is a bit different than the purpose of mini, but I can definitely understand why you'd like to see similar behavior to what you're used to.
    While I forward your feedback to the developers, I do suggest you try to utilize the extension's popup (which is basically 1Password mini in your browser). You can call it using the extension's shortcut, which you can also change in the extension's settings page.

Thanks again for the input!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Quick access' purpose is a bit different than the purpose of mini

What is the purpose of each of them?

(Would like to understand the difference)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Quick Access is more desktop app oriented, so it would make no sense to show Quick Access when you're in your browser, as most actions there are irrelevant to what you actually want to do in the browser.

The 1Password's extension popup is more relevant in your browser(and more similar to 1Password mini from 1Password 7), which is why we're separating it from the desktop app's quick access.

When you call the extension, it means you want to autofill something or to open a website in your browser, which is the main focus.
    When you call Quick Access, you can see a lot more functionality that revolves around viewing item details, managing your information etc. You can also open and fill from Quick Access, but that is not the immediate focus there. If you press Enter on an item in Quick Access, it will open the item's details and not open & fill it in your browser.

We'll look into ways to take the feedback here into account. For example, we can explore how to automatically determine which one should show up depending on where the keyboard shortcut was pressed and see if that makes more sense.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

You are now comparing Quick Access and the browser extension.

But 1Password Mini was not the browser extension, or was it?

(I thought Mini was the menu bar functionality, which also supports you in logging in in Apps, outside of the browser)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password Classic is 1Password mini with an "autofill" button.
    If the 1Password 7 desktop app is not present or is not able to connect to the browser for any reason, the classic extension won't open or respond at all to your clicks (because mini won't be available to the extension).

Now, the new 1Password in the browser is its own app with its own mini window and can work independently even without the desktop app, while the 1Password 8 desktop app has a new overhauled feature called Quick Access and it makes things pretty nice and easy to use when you need it on your computer (not in the browser, but you can still open and fill from it if needed).

I hope that clarifies the different functionality and design between 1Password 7's mini + 1Password Classic and 1Password 8's Quick Access + 1Password in the browser :)

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member
    Options

I'm reviving this old topic to ask again whether the keyboard shortcut for 1Password for Safari can be managed via the browser extension's settings. As far as I can tell, it cannot. But I wonder if I'm missing something? Because this article says it should be possible ... see screenshot:

Also, above, @ag_yaron suggested to "utilize the extension's popup (which is basically 1Password mini in your browser). You can call it using the extension's shortcut, which you can also change in the extension's settings page." ... but I don't see how to do this. I'm on 1Password for Safari v2.2.3.

I'd also like to point out that I don't see any documentation, either on the above article or in the settings themselves, that there even is a keyboard shortcut for 1Password for Safari. I only learned about CMD-OPT-X by reading @dfleiva's comment on this forum post (thanks!!).

Lastly, I wanted to brag a bit, because I've just engineered (using Keyboard Maestro) the setup that @alexclst proposed above. Now, with a single keyboard shortcut (of my own choosing), Keyboard Maestro will trigger 1Password for Safari only if Safari is the frontmost app; otherwise it will trigger Quick Access. It's working great! (Happy to provide details if anyone's interested.)

• Ben
    Options

Lastly, I wanted to brag a bit, because I've just engineered (using Keyboard Maestro) the setup that @alexclst proposed above. Now, with a single keyboard shortcut (of my own choosing), Keyboard Maestro will trigger 1Password for Safari only if Safari is the frontmost app; otherwise it will trigger Quick Access. It's working great! (Happy to provide details if anyone's interested.)

That's really really neat. I'm not a Keyboard Maestro user myself (I probably should be!) but I'm sure there are others that would appreciate it. I'd just add the usual disclaimer that as it wouldn't be an official integration it wouldn't be something the 1Password team could help troubleshoot.

As far as I can tell, it cannot

At the moment, that is correct. There is ongoing discussion internally on the subject. I'm hoping we'll be able to improve this in a future revision. 🤞

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9365

This discussion has been closed.