Extension not working in Safari Technology Preview on Big Sur

Options

Hi! I'm trying out the new 8.2 Early Access, and am having trouble with the extension. (Safari Tech Preview 129, macOS 11.3.1)

It seems to install/load correctly (it is checked/enabled in preferences, has permissions for all sites, shows up in the toolbar next to the address bar), but otherwise doesn't seem to work. The small pop-up in login forms or when clicking the toolbar icon is "stuck" on "Open 1Password". (See below)

Clicking this does nothing (but does launch regular Safari in the background).

Testing this in regular Safari (14.1) works as expected.

This has been an issue for me even as far back as 1Password 7, but I was really hoping with all the hullabaloo about v.8 being a huge rewrite that this issue would've been addressed.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.2.0-44.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: macOS 11.3.1

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@heyphi,

Unfortunately, the APIs for allowing the app to communicate with the extension internally do not have the ability to target STP independently, it is solely addressable by the default web browser setting in System Preferences (Safari or STP selected targets that 1 browser, anything non-safari selected makes the api only work with Safari).

• heyphi
    heyphi
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the quick reply, @rudy.

That is unfortunate. I don't have STP set as my default; I have a helper utility that helps me switch between browsers.

Changing the default to STP made this work instantly. I'll keep this in mind as a workaround (but it's not a great one). Hope Apple can expand the API for this. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.