Adding a new item from within Safari takes minutes to show up in 1Password app

Options

I'm not sure how to better explain the issue than I have in the Subject, but, here's what I experienced:

I went to a new website that required registration. I provided various form fields, including allowing 1Password to generate a password for the registration process. I was prompted to save it in a Vault by 1P in Safari.

However, within the 1Password app itself, the item did not show up. I tried quitting and restarting it, nothing. I tried sorting, searching, everything, nothing.

It took about 2 minutes, give or take, before the item showed up. In the mean time, I manually created a new Login item in the 1Pv8 app because I didn't want to lose the saved data (especially password) for the registration.

I've noticed this behaviour with items syncing between iOS and macOS in the past, but, this was all macOS, and a bit frustrating.

1Password Version: 80200056
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @doetraar,

Thanks for testing out 1Password 8. I'm sorry you are having trouble with 1Password syncing.

One thing to note with the new 1Password in Safari is that it connects directly to 1Password.com, so once you create the item there even if it takes a while to show up in the main app it will be safely stored in 1Password.com.

The 1Password app can be blocked by particular network altering apps (such as VPN's, Firewalls, etc.). 1Password in the browser connects with Safari so so the same tools / settings that can cause trouble in the app typically don't cause the same issue with 1Password in the browser.

One way to see if there is another app or setting on your Mac causing the slow syncing is to restart your Mac into safe mode and try to reproduce the issue there.

If you are still having trouble while in safe mode also try connecting to a different network (for example a hotspot from a phone) temporarily to see if it something on your local network that is causing the trouble.

Let me know how that goes for you or if you get stuck at any step along the way.

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @joshua_ag, appreciate the comments, but, in my case, none of the above would apply. On a gigabit fibre connection with no intervening network blockages (I work in a technical capacity for the ISP I'm connected via). All other applications and services are working fine, it's purely the RTT between the new Safari plugin storing something and when the Electron app downloads it and displays it.

I do have around 300ms of latency between "you" and "me" due to the Internet and the speed of light between us (can't do much about the latter) as measured to my.1password.com and c.1password.com (not sure which is responsible for password synchronisation).

Anyway, whatever it is is nicely repeatable from this side of the Interwebs, and definitely not my local network or Mac.

• HI @doetraar,

The new version of 1Password in the browser connects directly to 1Password.com, so both of them sync to there and don't pass data to each other like the older one did.

Can you trying creating an item on 1Password.com and check to see if there is a difference with the extension downloading the new item and the app?

1Password uses various domains you can see all them here: https://support.1password.com/ports-domains/

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Joshua_ag - I did some more testing, and have some hopefully useful information here:

• The issue is repeatable if I use the 1Password website to create a new item. A new item created here does NOT show up in 1P8, even after repeatedly quitting 1P, restarting it, or waiting several minutes
    • An issue created in 1Password.com will immediately appear (within a second or so) on the 1Password for iOS client
    • DELETING an item from 1P8 on macOS triggered an update which caused it to both delete the item I said to delete, but, also to download newly created items

In my test, I created two secure notes, and put the timestamp of the creation in the note. Both notes immediately appeared on my iPhone, which is on the same WiFi network as my macOS system. The network is absolutely not the issue here.

Neither note appeared in 1P8.

To push things a bit harder, I deleted an old item from 1P8 and within a second both of the secure notes appeared in 1P8, and the deleted item was removed from both my local 1P8 on macOS, as well as the iOS copy of 1P which I was running simultaneously.

So, something with the new macOS app is not polling the server frequently enough to get updates, which is consistent with the experience that I'm seeing. The push action of removing something caused it to resynchronise, clearly, but that doesn't really help.

• Hi @doetraar,

Thanks so much for doing that additional testing. That is definitely a sign of the notifier 1Password uses being disconnected, so it isn't alerted of any changes, which is why a sync doesn't occur automatically. It's hard to say why it has been disconnected with out more detail. I would like to ask you to create a diagnostics report for your device.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Click 1Password in the menu bar.
    3. Click Preferences.
    4. Click Advanced in the new window that appears.
    5. Click Send Diagnostics.
    6. Click Reveal.
    7. Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member
    Options

[#WAM-56678-169]

Sorry for not updating sooner - I was secretly hoping this would get fixed. It has not, still present with latest beta update (today).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@doetraar:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: WAM-56678-169

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member
    Options

Just to let you know this is still present with the latest betas. (80400002)

This discussion has been closed.