Options
dmarch
dmarch
Community Member
edited May 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have windows 7,
when I start up my computer, I get a pop up window that says:

Opps! An error has occurred.
An Important component is missing from 1password.
Re-installing 1password "as administrator" might correct the problem.
When you re-install 1password, Please disable your anti-virus software.
It might accidentally block a "false positive"

Can you walk me through the steps to do this, so that I don't lose the passwords I already have saved?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Your data is stored separately, so it will not be affected.

1. Download 1Password for Windows from our website
    2. Install it as an admin. (You may need to right-click to select that option if you are not already running as an administrator.)

Please let me know which step you are stuck on if you are having trouble. I'd love to provide further assistance if necessary. :)

Cheers!

• jcg1013
    jcg1013
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem - 1Pass worked on WinXP SP3 but when my PC was upgraded to 64-bit Windows 7, I started gettting this same error. Even though I am an administrator, I did the right click to install as administrator, just in case. Same problem, even after rebooting.
    An odd sidebar though -- my user profile was copied over from XP to W7, so the stored passwords came over in the profile and the browser extension appears to work fine. I just can't get the program itself to come up.
    Are there registry keys I need to nuke before reinstalling ? Does the profile section need to be nuked ? Is there a problem going from 32-bit to 64-bit ? Thanks.

• MikeT
    Options

HI @jcg1013,

I'm sorry about the delay in responding.

There is no compatibility issue with using 64-bit version of Windows, 1Password will run as a 32-bit app on it.

Before you reinstall 1Password, did you first uninstall 1Password? Try doing it cleanly like this:

1. Uninstall 1Password from Control Panel
    2. Reboot the computer
    3. Run the .exe file you downloaded from our website and see if 1Password works better.
  • ttski
    ttski
    Community Member
    edited May 2013
    Options

I keep getting the following error when trying to open 1Password on a PC laptop. It works on 2 PC's ok.

"Opps! An error has occurred. An Important component is missing from 1password. Re-installing 1password "as administrator" might correct the problem. When you re-install 1password, Please disable your anti-virus software. It might accidentally block a "false positive"

I have disabled my anti-virus software.
    I have reinstalled the latest software (as administrator).....same error
    I have uninstalled the software then reinstalled it (as administrator)......same error

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry that you are having some trouble as well, @ttski. I merged your post with this existing thread.

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us your Diagnostics Report?

Select Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File from the menu bar in 1Password. Then attach the report to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• ttski
    ttski
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response. I cannot get past the error message to open the program, so unable to complete a diagnostics report. Is there any other way to get you a diagnostics from the PC? I have noticed that when I install an older version of the software, it seems to work. If you can give me a link to access some older versions of the software, I should be able to get it opened and complete a diagnostic.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You can download previous versions here:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/win/release_notes

Please let me know if that doesn't work to allow you to generate a Diagnostics Report.

• PaulBS
    PaulBS
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I am having the same problem too.

I have uninstalled, restarted, disabled AV and installed as Administrator the latest version and an older version (Jan 2013) but I still get the same error.

I can't start the application to get a diagnostic report so I am a bit stuck.

If it helps - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, network (so member of a domain). The previous versions all worked well and the browser plugins still seem to operate (with the exclamation mark). My data file is on Dropbox and I also use 1Password on my Mac which is fine.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2013
    Options

the "important component missing" message appears if...

1. js3215R.dll does not exist in the 1Password folder, or
    2. ChilkatCrypt2.dll is not registered with the Windows registry, or
    3. ChilkatCrypt2.dll does not exist anywhere on your system
  • Kim
    Kim
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem.

1. js3215R.dll does exist in the 1Password folder.
    2. ChilkatCrypt2.dll is registered with the Windows registry
    3. ChilkatCrypt2.dll does exist on my system.

I have administrator rights on my pc.
    I don't have anti-virus software yet.

I don't have a clue what the problem is. Please help.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Kim, I'm sorry for the delayed reply. Did you email us a Diagnostics Report as I requested in my post above? We'd love to figure out what is happening on your machine.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kim: where is ChilkatCrypt2.dll? Has it been signed with a digital certificate? If yes, who has signed it?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In your email to us with your Diagnostics Report can you include the exact location of ChilkatCrypt2.dll on your system? Thanks!

• Kim
    Kim
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response. ChilkatCrypt2.dll is in Windows/System 32. How would I find out if it's been signed?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2013
    Options

Right-click on ChilkatCrypt2.dll in Windows Explorer, select "Properties" from the contextual menu, and then click on the "Digital Signatures" tab. Here is what I am seeing on my own machine (where the file is in C:\Windows\SysWOW64):

What is the "Name of Signer" on the file you have on your system?

• Kim
    Kim
    Community Member
    Options

What I see matches the image but lacks the Digital Signatures tab. I'm really new to Windows 7 (XP has been my OS for a million years) so I'm not sure if it's operator error (mine) or what that I don't see that tab.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The problem is that the version of ChilkatCrypt2.dll you have installed on your system is not digitally signed by us. It is impossible to say where it came from if it has not been signed. :(

I'm going to double-check with the developers to see what the best course of action is in this case. I have a hunch but don't want to steer you wrong. I'll post back as soon as possible. Thanks for hanging in there. :)

• Kim
    Kim
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So, this is a very tricky problem because there is not an easy way for us to determine where that file came from. And if we try to replace it there is no guarantee that whatever has placed it there won't overwrite our signed version of it.

One thing you can try is to archive that copy of it and then attempt to reinstall 1Password from a fresh copy that you download directly from our website: http://agilebits.com/downloads

That may work, but, again, there is no guarantee that it won't break the other application which put your existing copy there in the first place or that the other application won't overwrite our signed copy.

It's worth a shot, though. It's possible you don't even have the application installed anymore that was using it.

• Kim
    Kim
    Community Member
    Options

What sort of application would have installed that?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

A security application? I wish I knew. Then we may not be having this problem. :(

It is a library for encryption, hashing, and digital signatures if that helps. Do you have another app on your system that would use those kinds of functions?

• Kim
    Kim
    Community Member
    Options

Adobe Acrobat? I have absolutely no clue.

• marintechit
    marintechit
    Community Member
    Options

Hello there. I have a client that has this issue on a Windows 7 workstation. I guess my problem is a slightly different though. If I reinstall the program it then opens. But a few days will go by and it will do it again. It has done this many times since they purchased the program. I'd like to know how to stop it from happening again.

--Steve

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marintechit, it sounds like it may be exactly the same problem. If something else on your system is overwriting our signed version of ChilkatCrypt2.dll then it will keep happening. Who is the file signed by on your machine?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2013
    Options

@marintechit and @Kim, could you both please download the ListDLLs program and run it? Once you have downloaded it and extracted it from the ZIP file, here is how to run it:

1. Type cmd into the search box on the Start Menu.
    2. Press ENTER.
    3. Drag and drop Listdlls.exe into the black box of the command prompt window. That will enter the full path to the program on the command line. But don't run it just yet.
    4. Add -d ChilkatCrypt2.dll to the end of the command line.
    5. Press ENTER.

Here’s what it shows for me when I ran it:

C:\Users\khad>C:\Users\khad\Downloads\ListDlls\Listdlls.exe -d chilkatCrypt2.dll

ListDLLs v3.1 - List loaded DLLs
    Copyright (C) 1997-2011 Mark Russinovich
    Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Agile1pAgent.exe pid: 2776
    Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password\Agile1pAgent.exe" -no-update

Base                Size      Path
    0x0000000010000000  0x186000  C:\Windows\SysWow64\ChilkatCrypt2.dll

C:\Users\khad>

Can you please copy and paste the output you see into your reply?

• Kim
    Kim
    Community Member
    Options

C:\Users\Kim>c:\users\kim\appdata\local\temp\listdlls\listdlls.exe -d ChilkatCry
    pt2.dll

ListDLLs v3.1 - List loaded DLLs
    Copyright (C) 1997-2011 Mark Russinovich
    Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

C:\Users\Kim>

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2013
    Options

Thanks, @kim!

1. What happened when you archived your current copy of ChilkatCrypt2.dll and then tried installing a fresh copy of 1Password that you downloaded directly from our website?

2. Would you happen to have something called "SAAZOD" by Zenith on your system? We've seen some problems with it affecting ChilkatCrypt2.dll before, but we thought it was resolved. Try checking C:\Program Files (x86) for SAAZOD and/or Zenith.

3. Do you have an antivirus solution that might be quarantining ChilkatCrypt2.dll? McAfee and Avast are some specific ones that we have seen do this in the past.

• Kim
    Kim
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Same thing happens.

2. I don't have SAAZOD or Zenith. I did a search and got nothing.

3. No antivirus, just malwarebytes at the moment.

• Kim
    Kim
    Community Member
    Options

It looks to me like the only ChilkatCrypt2.dll installed is the one 1Password installed. The archived one and the new one both have the same date.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm not certain that it will help, but there may be a hint in your Diagnostics Report which may help us continue troubleshooting this.

Please select Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File from the menu bar in 1Password. Then attach the report to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you via email. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.