Unlocking Safari Extension

Following the advice I had been given in another thread, I tried to use the 1Password for Safari Extension independently of the 1Password 8 app.
I went to a website where I needed to create an account and wanted to use 1Password to generate a password.
When I clicked in the field, a prompt asked me to use the extension icon to unlock 1Password first (can’t be done without using your mouse :-\ ).

I clicked on the icon to unlock and it displayed spinning tic tacs with “loading” for several minutes!!

Not a pleasant experience :-\

Corentin

1Password Version: 80202041
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: 10.15.7

Comments

• Hi @cortig, sorry you've run into this. I'll make sure to report this to our developers so they can hunt down whatever the source of this might be. Thank you for bringing it to light!

If you'd like specific troubleshooting help with this, I'd recommend sending a quick email to support@1password.com, too - our team members will be happy to sort this out for you. Just include a link to this conversation so we know it's you, and we'll get started on setting things right. 👍

ref: dev/core/core#10120

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P I don’t really need specific help with it. It doesn’t happen all the time (but it is somewhat frequent).
    Now if you guys need technical data, logs, etc, let me know and I’ll get in touch indeed.

Corentin

• Hey @cortig, sure - we'd love that, and appreciate the offer. If you can send us an email at support@1Password.com with a console log from Safari (more on that in a sec), we'll be able to go through the data and track down the source of the issue.

Here's how to send us the logs:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Choose "Safari > "Preferences" > "Advanced" in the menu bar.
    3. Click "Show Develop menu in menu bar"
    4. Choose "Develop > Web Extension Background Pages > 1Password for Safari"
    5. Press Command + A to select everything, and then right click, "Save as" to generate a file.
    6. Turn off the develop menu again from Safari preferences.

Thanks again for this! 🙏

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P when you get the web inspector, it offers a number of tabs. Which is the one you want??
    I should be also able to export the whole inspector as a web archive. Would that work for you??

Corentin

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

As a side note: I keep on playing with it and noticed that even though I’ve selected not to have the Safari extension connected to the app, the app still launches in the background when I try to unlock the extension.
    I wonder whether the delays could be the result of the app launching slowly, or the Finder taking it’s sweet time sending the data back and forth between the two.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

I had the same issue on a second computer. >7 minutes to unlock!!!

Corentin

• Hello @cortig,

Thank you for sending us an email. Let us continue the conversation via email update the results here afterward.

ref: DKJ-79344-691

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

Thanks to your great support team, I figured out what was happening @Nhat_Nguyen .
    I needed to disable the integration in the settings for the extensions as well as in the app…

Without that, it was trying to communicate with the app (which had integration disabled on tis end) and after some time not getting a response, it was finally offering me to unlock int he extension.
    Now everything works fine (and immediately.

I still think I should have gotten a warning of some sort telling me that the app wasn’t integrating and suggesting I’d either disable integration in the extension, or activated it in the app.

Corentin

• Thank you for the update, and for sharing that feedback. I see my colleague Chantelle has already reached out to our development team to see if there are improvements that can be made on that point. 🤞🏻

Ben

This discussion has been closed.