1Password 8 Early Access broke 1Password for Safari

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

I tried 1Password 8 Early Access and 1Password for Safari broke. I could not get it to work and clicked on it. 1Password for Safari kept launching a video.

I'm back to 1Password 7.8.7 stable. I was using 1Password 7.8.8 Beta which had expired but kept launching the expiry notice. Problem solved. I unchecked "Include Beta builds" and reinstalled.

MacOS 10.15.7
Safari 14.1.2

1Password Version: 1Password 8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.7

Comments

• @wkleem

I tried 1Password 8 Early Access and 1Password for Safari broke. I could not get it to work and clicked on it. 1Password for Safari kept launching a video.

What exactly about 1Password broke? What video was launching when you clicked the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar? Did you mange to grab a screen recording of the behaviour before you reverted to 1Password 7?

I'm back to 1Password 7.8.7 stable. I was using 1Password 7.8.8 Beta which had expired but kept launching the expiry notice. Problem solved. I unchecked "Include Beta builds" and reinstalled.

Thanks for reporting this! I'll be sure to share this with our development team. If you continue to have trouble with installing the beta build, let us know and we'll be happy to troubleshoot further.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

@ag_chantelle,

What exactly about 1Password broke? What video was launching when you clicked the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar? Did you mange to grab a screen recording of the behaviour before you reverted to 1Password 7?

No, I did not screenshot the problem. I will reinstall Password 8 Early Access.

"1Password is ready to go! 🎉
    Click 1Password in your toolbar to unlock 1Password."

From Safari, the usual Cmd + \ and Opt + Cmd + \ doesn't work. 1Password Mini looks like a Spotlight search bar?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

I spotted what looked like a very tiny lock on the 1Password icon in the Toolbar? I have never seen a lock on the Safari browser toolbar before, I'm using Safari 14.1.2 It looks like the small 1Password icon with lock in the screenshot posted above.

• @wkleem

Yes, the new icon is part of 1Password 8. I rather like it. If you are using 1Password for Safari from the Mac App Store you'll see the lock there as well. It's basically 1Password in the browser.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

I'm on the 1Password Web Store version of 1Password 7. I haven't figured out how to work 1Password for Safari 2. Each time I click the 1Password icon on the Safari Toolbar the video page launches. I cannot do anything else with it. I've gone back to 1Password 7.8.8 which didn't have the lock on the 1Password icon.

Yes, the new icon is part of 1Password 8. I rather like it. If you are using 1Password for Safari from the Mac App Store you'll see the lock there as well. It's basically 1Password in the browser.

I may be confusing 1Password for Safari from Mac App Store. There is no other version elsewhere that I've noticed.

• @wkleem

As Tommy suggested, the new version of 1Password for Safari is a standalone web extension that can function entirely in your browser, without the need for the desktop app. As such, the lock would indicate that you need to enter your Account Password to view your data. This version also integrates with 1Password 8 for Mac, allowing them to remain unlocked side by side - similar to the experience you currently enjoy with the Safari App Extension and 1Password 7.

As for the shortcuts, you're right the CMD+\ shortcut does not currently work to unlock the new version in your browser. We are working on fine tuning the keyboard shortcuts and hope to have this improved in an upcoming release of 1Password for Safari.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

It's wasn't obvious that I can unlock 1Password for Safari. Previous 1Password Extensions (Desktop required) didn't need unlocking (no small lock icon in the 1Password for Safari icon). It was tied to 1Password for Mac or Windows.

Now, I need to right click 1Password for Safari to enter settings. Bottom of Settings is Accounts & Vaults. Sign in to an account. Never needed to do this before.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Support No. [#GWN-27528-841]

This discussion has been closed.