Chrome extension not communicating with 1Password app

Options
gedankenexperimenter
gedankenexperimenter
Community Member
edited September 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

The Chrome extension is completely non-functional on one iMac that I use. It always shows 1Password as being locked, regardless of the lock state of the 1Password app. Clicking on the extension icon shows me the dialog with only one button, labelled "Open 1Password". Clicking that button has no effect. I have made sure that the extension's option to integrate with the 1Password app is turned on. 1Password integration does work in Safari, which is not the browser I use (please do not waste my time by suggesting that I use Safari instead of Chrome; this is merely useful debug info).

I have tried completely uninstalling both Chrome and 1Password, rebooting the OS, restarting the 1Password Extension Helper, removing the Chrome extension and installing the beta version instead, and tried out the 1Password Troubleshooting utility (where I tried clicking the "re-enable 1Password Extension Helper" button). None of these things has had any effect on the problem. Several other mac OS computers I use have no such problem with the Chrome extension communicating with 1Password.

I'm out of ideas, and am considering resorting to wiping and reinstalling the OS from scratch, but that would be a huge time sink. First I'm trying the OS update to 11.6, but I have no expectation that will help.

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: 2.0.7 (also 2.1.0 beta)
OS Version: 11.5.2

Comments

• gedankenexperimenter
    Options

I should add that my Chrome version is 94.0.4606.54 (currently up to date), and that I have sync turned on in Chrome, which is using the exact same set of extensions as other instances of Chrome on other Macs, which have no issues with the 1Password extension.

• gedankenexperimenter
    Options

Update: I tried one more thing while waiting for the very slow system update from Apple: the "Reset All 1Password Data" option in the Help->Troubleshooting menu. I doubted that this could fix the problem, since the only thing that wasn't working was Chrome integration (it even worked in Safari). However, when I tried it, then re-entered my credentials and encryption keys, it started to work again, at least with the beta version of the extension.

Unfortunately, this was a temporary blip. When I uninstalled the beta version of the extension, and tested version 2.0.7, it reverted to the old, non-communicative state. I then removed 2.0.7, and tried Beta 2.1.0, and that again failed.

• gedankenexperimenter
    Options

After completing the upgrade to mac OS 11.6, the 1Password Beta extension (version 2.1.0) integrates successfully with the 1Password app, but the standard 1Password Chrome extension (version 2.0.7) does not.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gedankenexperimenter!

Can you please send us some logs so we can take a closer look for you?

After you have sent the email, please post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• amicablewings
    amicablewings
    Community Member
    Options

I have exact same issue. 1password chrome extension does not communicate with 1p mac desktop app. Is there any solutions for this issue?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,
    This issue can occur for multiple reasons and highly depends on the setup of your computer.

If a restart to the computer and turning the integration off/on doesn't help, we'll need you to send us the extension's log and a diagnostics report:

Please send it to support+x@1password.com with a description of the issue and what you have tried so far.

This discussion has been closed.