Can’t copy/paste from 1Password within Safari

Options
ran_1020
ran_1020
Community Member

I can copy something from within the 1Password extension but it won’t paste into Safari. If I open the 1Password app and copy it it will work to go back to Safari and paste it.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ran_1020!

Is this happening on a specific website, or on all of them?

• Toast442
    Toast442
    Community Member
    Options

This has happened to me as well - it says it's copied something, but the clipboard is unchanged. Copying from the main app works. The only way I've found to "fix" it was to reboot my phone. For me, it's not tied to any one website - the Safari extension just seems to stop copying.

• ran_1020
    ran_1020
    Community Member
    Options

It happened on this site, the 1Password forums, when putting my password in. I had forgotten my password so I was trying a few things. I haven’t tried it in other sites but from @Toast442 ’s comments it looks like it’s universal.

• ran_1020
    ran_1020
    Community Member
    Options

Happened again on the My Heritage site. 1Password didn’t know it was supposed to put the password in because it was a different url, which I get. So I manually went into the 1Password extension, found the password, hit copy, carefully didn’t hit the annoying “do you want to use this password” 1Password popup thingy, tapped, and the paste function even came up, but when I pushed it it didn’t paste. So I went to the app, copied it and went back to Safari and pasted it. Super annoying.

• Toast442
    Toast442
    Community Member
    Options

For me, this happens a couple of times a day now. I did find that when the copy stops working, disabling the extension, then immediately reenabling it fixes it. I thought I tried this before when I discovered a reboot cures it, but I guess I didn't.

As you said, @ran_1020, super annoying. Just add it to the pile of bugs, limitations and missing features from the "upgrade". I wish iOS had a way to prevent a single app from updating, because once this starts working again (fingers crossed) I'm going to be way more leery of updating 1Password.

• ran_1020
    ran_1020
    Community Member
    Options

Ya. And I mean I don’t wanna be too negative. It made me mad but the truth is it’s always been an amazing program, so there’s high expectations. The subscription cost vs buying it is similar, and these days of constant app updates sort of necessitates the model. I got the subscription, which they provide for 50% off for 3 years to people that hold software licenses. I’ll keep using it, because it’s still great if I’m being honest, but man it’s weird to me that that they didn’t get that that would anger people.

• Toast442
    Toast442
    Community Member
    Options

Dragging up an apparently dead topic here, but did this ever get resovled? Even with the very latest 7.9.2, this still happens. It's completely broken on two ipads and my iphone. Occasionally it will work when I want it to, but in general I have to toggle the extension on and off and then I can copy from an entry.

Happens on all websites. It has never worked consistently for me.

• 1bvr
    1bvr
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

Came here to ask about this, but it appears I’m not the only person seeing this. Interestingly, it consistently never works for me, unlike some of the other posts here.

Copying fields from the 1Password Safari extension within iOS/iPadOS simply does nothing. It says it copies the content, but the clipboard never has any text in it. If I copy the same field from the 1P app, it works.

Is there a bug ID I can “join” or “follow” to track this issue?

• @1bvr

Thank you for bumping this thread and I'm sorry that you're unable to copy fields from 1Password in Safari. The issue seems to be that the copy function permissions get confused after an update, our team is working with Apple to try to improve this situation. Can you try following these step to see if we can get copying working again?

1. Open the Settings app.
    2. Tap Safari.
    3. Tap Extensions.
    4. Tap 1Password.
    5. Tap Other Websites.
    6. Tap/select Ask.
    7. Switch back to Safari (the app).
    8. Tap the aA / puzzle piece icon.
    9. Tap 1Password.
    10. Tap Allow.

At that point you should be able to copy info from within the 1Password extension. 😊

ref: dev/core/core#9820

• Toast442
    Toast442
    Community Member
    Options

That does work, as does turning the extension off and back on. The problem is that it re-occurs so freqeuntly it basically means I have to do it every time I need to copy something. Yes, if I do it several times in quck succession, it will work after I reset it. But if I wait a couple of hours and try it, the copy fails and I have to do the reset steps all over again.

For me, it occurs not just after an update. If I let it sit for a bit, it will start to fail again.

• 1bvr
    1bvr
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Thanks for your response. I'm glad to know you're aware of the issue and working with Apple to hopefully fix permanently.

I performed the steps you described and it has gotten copy/paste working in the 1Password extension for Safari on my iPad and iPhone. I'll check it again tomorrow to see whether it reverts to its broken behavior or not.

• @Toast442

I'm sorry to hear that the issue continues to return for you. The issue can manifest after updating the main 1Password app or after the 1Password for Safari web extension itself updates (something that happens in the background). It's possible that the issue occurs after the latter in your case.

I've forwarded your report of the issue to our developers so that they're aware and can use the report to move the investigation forward. At the moment the workaround that I've provided is the best way to get things working again and hopefully we can find a permanent solution and include it in a future update.

@1bvr

Sounds good, let me know if you run into any other issues. 🙂

• 1bvr
    1bvr
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I just wanted to let you know I lost the ability to copy from the Safari extension and had to perform these steps again to restore it. Currently on iOS 15.4.1.

• @1bvr

I'm sorry to hear that the issue occurred again. Our developers have a bug report open with Apple and hopefully this can be resolved in the future. In the meantime, I'm happy to hear that the workaround helps. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.