Logins do not always log in

Options
jconison
jconison
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I have just migrated to the Family version of 1Password and have set up the master vaults. The logins now do not always log in--sometimes double clicking causes a box to pop up with a list of items and a search line; but then trying a few minutes later, double clicking will open the web site. Can anyone identify the problem and recommend a solution? Thanks.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jconison!

Extension Version: Not Provided

What version of the 1Password browser extension is this happening with, and in which browser?

• jconison
    jconison
    Community Member
    Options

I am opening directly from the 1Password app for Mac. The sites open in Firefox. I am using Mac OS version 10.13.6. Thanks.

• @jconison

Can you please try the following steps and let me know if this resolves the issue for you?

1. Quit 1Password completely by clicking the 1Password menu beside the  logo and choosing Quit 1Password Completely
    2. Quit your browser.
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and test again to see if the issue is resolved.
  • jconison
    jconison
    Community Member
    Options

So far it is working. I will get back to you if the logins start failing again. Many thanks for your help.

• @jconison

You are most welcome! Do let us know how it goes, we'll be here to help. :smile:

• jconison
    jconison
    Community Member
    Options

Hi--I am afraid that the problem is back. Do you have any further suggestions?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jconison ,

We'll need some more info here in order to provide further suggestions.
    Which browser are you using? Safari? Chrome?
    If you are not using Safari, what is the extension's version in your browser? You should see a little 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar, on which you can right click and select "Manage Extension" to see what version it is.

Also, if you click the extension icon in the browser toolbar and open a website from there instead of from the desktop app, does it work as expected?

• jconison
    jconison
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for responding. So far as I can tell, logins do not open in any browser.
    I have Firefox set as the default browser.
    The 1Password extension is version 4.7.5.90.
    It seems to be working from there. I will let you know if it stops doing so.
    Is there anything I can to to get logins to open from the app?
    Thanks much for your help.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional info @jconison ,

You are using our older 1Password Classic extension. In order for you to be able to open logins from the desktop app, you'll want to make sure you have an open Firefox window before you perform that action. If there are no open Firefox windows, the app won't be able to open the website and instead will show a mini 1Password window.

So here's the correct flow:
    1. Open Firefox.
    2. Open 1Password.
    3. Locate the login/website you need in 1Password and open it. 1Password will send it to the open Firefox window.

If you'd like to upgrade your experience, I suggest you install the newer 1Password extension in your Firefox and remove the current one: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

The new extension is a bit different as you can see in the link above - it will show up on its own inside fields when you visit websites and suggest relevant actions, but it should also allow you to open and fill from the desktop app even if Firefox doesn't have an open window.

• jconison
    jconison
    Community Member
    Options

Aha! Should be an easy fix. I will also check the extensions for other browsers I use.

Thanks again.

JC

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good :)

Keep in mind that when you try to open and fill from the desktop app, it will always open your default browser (Firefox) even if you have another browser open in the background. If you want a login to open in a specific browser, you should open it from within that browser using the little 1Password icon on the top right corner of the browser's toolbar.

This discussion has been closed.