Desktop/extension sync

This discussion was created from comments split from: Command+Period or Command+Backslash.

Comments

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

1. Desktop/extension sync

I can’t keep the desktop app and 1Password in the browser in sync, as mentioned in another thread. (Got this to work, but only for a short while.) This is esp. frustrating where 1Password lock/unlock state will not stay in sync between the two. This is what prompted me to give up on 1Password in the browser and switch back to the classic extension.

2. Keyboard shortcut

2a. Keyboard shortcut customization

As above, I’ve muscle-memoried Command + \, but now don’t have the option to set this as my preference for 1Password in the browser. If I use Command + \ I get the desktop app. And then I have to remember to use Command + ..

2b. Keyboard shortcut does nothing

When I do remember to use Command + . in browser, this does nothing, even though I have this set as my shortcut for “Open with shortcut”.

3. Vaults

3a. Changing vaults

Changing vaults in 1Password in the browser requires far too many clicks:
    1. Click 1Password extension icon.
    2. Click settings icon.
    3. Click “Vault”. (Originally, I didn't even know this was where I should look to change vaults, as this is in no way intuitive given my past experience with both the desktop app and classic extension.)
    4. Finally, select the vaults I want access to/to search within.

3b. Selected vaults syncing

And, after all this, the selected vaults don’t sync between the desktop app and 1Password in the browser.

3c. “All Vaults”

Also, “All Vaults” is unique between the two.

CC: @jack.platten

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member

I just typed up a long response and then my post disappeared. What the what? I guess I’ll try again, ugh.

• Seems it got caught in the spam filter @jareha, I've just marked it as not spam so you won't have to repost it.

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

(Wiped to avoid confusion.)

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

Spam filter? I just rewrote all that. Y’all should signify it’s in some sort of state. (And not completely disappeared.) What a hassle.

• @jareha,

Just as a few housekeeping things, I've split your posts off into a separate thread, and I'd also like to apologize for the spam filter. I was in the process of sending my reply when you had posted your duplicate.

It seems like you were previously having issues with 1Password in the browser that going through all the troubleshooting steps a week or so resolved, but now came back, is that correct? In that case, our best bet to figure out what exactly is causing the shared lock state to be inconsistent would be collecting some data from your device, as well as the date and time when shared lock state didn't work so we can reference the two separate logs and compare. First, we'll need a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

In addition to the Diagnostics Report, we'll also need an extension console log from Firefox:

Save a console log for 1Password in your browser

Attach the diagnostics report and the console log to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread:
    • Your forum username: jareha
    • The date & time the problem occurred

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member

Support ID: [#ZZB-65213-747]

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

Noting, even were we to fix syncing issues, this would leave items 2a., 3a. and 3c. outstanding.

2b. followup

I set desktop keyboard shortcut to Command + . and forms now fill correctly.

Granted, this is still not ideal, as I’d prefer to use Command + \. On that note, what’s most frustrating is that Command + \ wasn’t my convention—it’s one I learned to use from 1Password.

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member

It seems like you were previously having issues with 1Password in the browser that going through all the troubleshooting steps a week or so resolved, but now came back, is that correct?

Correct. I’ve emailed the requested Diagnostics Report and browser console log.

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited October 2021

Hello @jareha,

I thank you for sending us a diagnostics report and the browser's logs. We can continue the issue there and update the results here. That said, let me do my best to clarify some points regarding your 2a., 3a. and 3c feedback.

The 1Password in the browser and the desktop app are different products with different shortcuts that function differently. However, by default, you can still use "Cmd+\" to fill your website or open the 1Password inline menu if you have more than one login item for your website. If that doesn't work for you, please let me know, and we can resolve it via email.

Using "Cmd+Period" should open the 1Password popup menu for you. However, sometimes another extension or application uses the same shortcut, or the browser does not register 1Password's shortcut when it is first installed. In this case, please try these steps to reassign the combination to see if it makes a difference.

Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar > Settings > Shortcuts > Change on the Extensions page > reassign "Cmd+Period" again or Change it to something else.

3a. Changing vaults

By default, 1Password should automatically suggest the correct items you might need for your website, and it is best to leave it to work with all vaults. However, if you want to access your vaults faster, you can try these steps to do that using keyboard shortcuts.

Press "Cmd+perios" to open the 1Password popup menu > Press "Cmd+D" to open Vaults and select your vault there.

3b. Selected vaults syncing

The 1Password app and the 1Password in the browser are different products that work separately hence they don't share the same settings. The 1Password desktop app is the best place to manage your data, while the 1Password in the browser is best for saving and filling your websites.

3c. “All Vaults”
    Also, “All Vaults” is unique between the two.

To ensure that we are on the same page, please send me a screenshot of the issue on your computer? That will help me go a long way. You can find instructions on how to create a screenshot on your platform from here: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/. Please remember to cover all your personal information before sending me a screenshot.

ref: ZZB-65213-747

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

The 1Password in the browser and the desktop app are different products with different shortcuts that function differently.

Could you explain how they function differently? Or point me to documentation so I can better understand?

Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar > Settings > Shortcuts > Change on the Extensions page > reassign "Cmd+Period" again or Change it to something else.

In Firefox, I found via Tools → Add-ons and Themes → click gear icon → Manage Extension Shortcuts that another extension was using Command + Period. I’ve deleted this shortcut and am now able to set Command + Period for “Open with shortcut”.

3a. Changing vaults

I understand these keyboard shortcuts exist, but I would still like to see the steps to select vaults in the UI simplified down from four steps.

3c. “All Vaults”

There’s really no way I can illustrate this without showing personal data (as my Vaults are named after members of my family).

In either case, in desktop there’s the option to “Show in All Vaults” and I have three vaults selected. I had to select these same three vaults in 1Password in the browser, where, previously (with the classic extension) whatever I would select in desktop would then be selected in the extension (and vice versa).

So when I update which vaults to “Show in All Vaults” on desktop and in “Include in All Vaults” in 1Password in the browser, I have to do this in two places.

• Hello @jareha.

Could you explain how they function differently? Or point me to documentation so I can better understand?

The "Cmd+\" in the 1Password app will fill your website if you have only one login item on the site and open the 1Password mini or the inline menu in "1Password - Password Manager" if you have more than one login item for your website while "Cmd+Period" will always open the 1Password popup menu.

In Firefox, I found via Tools → Add-ons and Themes → click gear icon → Manage Extension

That is another way to reassign the shortcut, and a more straightforward method is to right-click the 1Password icon in Firefox's toolbar and select "Settings" there. 1Password will direct you to it's settings page

I understand these keyboard shortcuts exist, but I would still like to see the steps to select vaults in the UI simplified down from four steps.

Thank you for your feedback. I will add a feature request to the development team for consideration. Please stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features.

3c. “All Vaults”

Thank you for the additional information. Currently, the app integration feature only allows the desktop app to share some shortcuts and the lock state with the 1Password in the browser. All other settings still work separately between them. The desktop app provides the best place to manage data while the 1Password in the browser is used to save and fill websites, and we will work hard to add more features to the app integration.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#981

This discussion has been closed.