Extension and "password manager" simultaneously running? Plus - "Hide My Email" interference

Options
Tonetony
Tonetony
Community Member

The theme of this email is -- confusion. All these features are running at the same time, making a kind of mess.

I'm running iOS 15.1 and iPadOS 15.1, and have both the Safari Extension and the Password Autofill component enabled. This was awkward to grasp at first, because both are active in Safari at the same time, and though I like the idea of the Extension, Autofill at this time is usually much faster and much more reliable. Sometimes the Extension won't appear at all when tapping in signin fields, or takes a very long time to appear.

To simplify it (and hoping it would be reliable), for a few minutes I had Autofill turned off, but then realized I would be losing autofill in apps other than Safari. So it SEEMS to be necessary to live with them both on at the same time in Safari.

Making matters worse, Hide My Email is occupying the keyboard spot that 1Password used to use.

1. Is my setup - enabling both the Safari extension and the autofill component - what you'd expect us to be using?

2. Is there a way to shut off the autofill component when running Safari, if the extension is enabled? (I'm going to guess "no.") Of course one can easily do the reverse - disable the Safari extension to just use Autofill.

3. In Safari, Autofill no longer offers the suggested login at the top center of the keyboard, but only via key icon at the top right. The cause of this seems to be Apple plastering its "Hide My Email" where the 1Password suggestion used to go, and I don't know how to shut that feature off. Some web sites claim it's not possible, and there's nothing in any Apple doc that suggests it is. That means an extra step is needed, after 1Password unlock (which I do with fingerprint on my old phone), to view the 1Password screen and tap on the suggested login. That would previously have happened immediately upon unlock.

This is awful. I can imagine cases where one might want to use an Apple-generated email forwarding address when creating a new account somewhere, and 1Password would simply save that address, but the problem is that Hide My Email shows up not merely when creating accounts, but also when logging in to already existing accounts, interfering with 1Password's use of the keyboard area. It doesn't appear that Safari can distinguish between logging in and signing up.

Am I missing something? Or is this just how it has to be at the moment?

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.1

Comments

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

I now see this topic has come up before, and the recommendation is to turn off Autofill. How would that help? It turns 1Password autofill off also.

When I turned it off just now, I still got Hide My Email prompts a few times.

When I turned it back on, behavior has changed radically. Now, most of the time, I'm back to only seeing 1Password on the keyboard - but sometimes, Hide My Email still appears but co-exists on the keyboard on the top right, leaving room for the 1Password suggestion to squeeze in on the top left (and, the key icon is present on the very far right). Bizarre!

The extension remains slow.

Turning autofill off and then on seems to have altered Hide May Email significantly. The behavior has remained like this even after a phone restart.

If autofill was working like this before, I wouldn't have been asking about it. Hide My Email at this moment is only an occasional annoyance.

If it makes any difference, I'm using Safari's old interface with the URL on top.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tonetony:

Just one comment on this:

When I turned it off just now, I still got Hide My Email prompts a few times.

This makes sense, since you turned off AutoFill, not Hide My Email. They are two different features, so it's possible that Apple treats them separately.

In Safari, Autofill no longer offers the suggested login at the top center of the keyboard, but only via key icon at the top right. The cause of this seems to be Apple plastering its "Hide My Email" where the 1Password suggestion used to go, and I don't know how to shut that feature off. Some web sites claim it's not possible, and there's nothing in any Apple doc that suggests it is.

For what it's worth, I haven't found a way to turn off Hide My Email either yet. Perhaps this is something that can come in a future iOS update.

This discussion has been closed.