No auto-type in 1PW8?

wraith
wraith
Community Member

I've upgraded to 1PW8 and now I can't auto-type passwords into application windows. Is this critical feature gone?

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 21H1

Comments

• marshall_stacks
    marshall_stacks
    Community Member

I just upgraded too. I wish they had mentioned that feature was removed before I upgraded... I use the browser extension for almost everything, but when I want to use the Windows app, I definitely want it to auto-fill passwords with "type in window."
    Most apps let you click and drag from 1password (but not from the new quick access thing), so I'm doing that for now.

• Hi @wraith and @marshall_stacks:

Autotype is something we're actively looking into and hope to have more info soon. While I can't make any promises, I have added both of your input to the feature request we have tracking this internally. Thanks!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#9620

• FWest98
    FWest98
    Community Member

While I love the new quick access dialog (amazing!), it would be even better if it would feature auto-type so that it could fill the username/password in the current application.

• Thanks for your feedback here about auto-type and Quick Access, @FWest98. :+1:

• tstedel
    tstedel
    Community Member

I use auto-type many times per day, and I can not paste passwords into the application I am using. This is a major regression and it requires us to massiveliy change our workflow

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

What's possible for now is to hit CTRL+O from quick access so the selected entry is opened in a new (small) window. Then, you can drag and drop passwords (any field in fact) into apps. Acceptable in terms of speed, but I don't need to use this many times a day, others might find this tedious.

• Nice solution, @J.M. And as Jack mentioned, we're continuing to track use cases and customer demand for this. Thanks for letting us know how this features in your workflow, everyone!

• tstedel
    tstedel
    Community Member

Thank you @J.M, this solution is acceptable. It works in the area we need it to

• koorg
    koorg
    Community Member

Hello, I'm missing this feature to use with main Windows authentication screen on Virtual Machines (libvirt, Linux host, Windows Guest).
    This kinda works with KeepassX, if you can workaround the keymap differences and/or define a specific keyboard sequence to play... but you know, if we're using 1pw it's because KeepassX doesn't fit our needs :)

• ag_mike_d
    edited April 2022

Hi @koorg, thanks for reaching out and sharing this feedback. We're continuing to look into this and I've updated our feature request to add your input!

ref: IDEA-I-193

• Daniel1
    Daniel1
    Community Member

I just switched from KeePass 2 to 1Password today, and I'm already missing auto-type like crazy. Please add it!

• Hi @Daniel1:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I've added your feedback to the feature request my colleague Mike mentioned above. 😀

Jack

• Hi @phgmacedo, I'm sorry to learn this is a deal-breaker for you. We're always working on ways to integrate 1Password more tightly with the underlying OS (as the "paste-anywhere" functionality of Universal Autofill on Mac shows), and we understand why Type in Window could be valuable for you.

If you like, I'd be happy to add a vote on your behalf for a similar feature to appear in 1Password 8. We do take the feedback seriously and act on it frequently - just let me know and I'll be happy to do that for you.

• flyerdp
    flyerdp
    Community Member

Just got in to it, looking for our large business and will not move without autotype. We have it currently and no plans to give it up. One place this shines is dealing with remote console VM's that copy/paste do not work with. I just stood up a test account but will be moving on now from this shortsightedness.

• Hey @flyerdp, thanks for your valuable feedback. I can certainly understand how this feature could be a deal-breaker for you. I'll be sure to add your voice to the internal feature request we have open for this to help highlight user interest. Thanks!

Ali

• hugocard
    hugocard
    Community Member

Company just bought this tool and forced it onto us. I'll let you know. BIGGEST step back ever in my opinion. Coming from a free tool (Keepass) and paying for this... The lack of auto-type is atrocious.

• ag_mike_d
    edited June 2022

Hello @hugocard, thanks for your feedback. We're always interested in learning from our customers where improvements can be made. I have included these comments for the team by way of the internal feature request where this is being tracked.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

Hi, I raised the initial post and I'm still using 1P7 because this feature doesn't exist yet. Is there a rough ETA?

For reference, the environments I use auto-type do not support copy/paste (e.g. into a Citrix/RDP window that's disabled copy/paste) so it's not simply a "nice to have", it's a core requirement.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

@flyerdp @hugocard @Daniel1 @phgmacedo For those who are trialling 1Password and want this feature, it exists in 1P7 and works perfectly... don't skip 1Password without trying version 7 instead. I've been using 1Password for close to a decade now and thus far I haven't seen a single reason that justifies upgrading to version 8 (and the lack of auto-type means upgrading isn't an option).

• flyerdp
    flyerdp
    Community Member

Unfortunately 7 is unable to autotype in to the vmware VMRC or web browser console of a VM, or an iDrac ESX host login prompt.

The two most important reasons we need autotype.

Further, given that 7 is EOL and only receiving bug updates its a matter of time before that will be discontinued. If 8 never picks up the feature I am wasting my time.

Keeper does auto-type in a VM web browser console (not VMRC) and iDrac ESX host creds dialogs.

• lfmend
    lfmend
    Community Member

Im trying to autotype in VM Console and it doesnt work.
    I have already tried it in 1password 7 and it doesnt workg again.
    For an application that must be payed that doesnt have this feature its a big step back, because i was using keepass (its free), and has all this features...
    Can u please develop this feature in 1password 7 and 8?
    Also the Tags in 1Password 8 are always expanded? WHY?

Without that i still prefer other apps.

• PeterG_1P
    edited June 2022

Hi folks, I'm sorry that I don't have any immediate updates to share on this. I hope I can nonetheless help clarify a few things about where we're at on this:

1. We recognize that this would be a useful feature generally, and that for a smaller subset of folks it's a critical requirement.
    2. We're still collecting votes and those do factor significantly into our prioritization / triage process.
    3. We are now on an entirely new generation of 1Password apps - 1Password 8. 🙌 That means that that any future developments regarding auto-type will pertain to 1Password 8, since it's our current offering and it's where our design, development, and support time are going.

If you are currently on 1Password 7 because the auto-type feature is critical for your workflow, I'd recommend that you stick with that for now - it's still a secure, well-designed, and performant app. We'll continue to keep the improvements coming on 1Password 8, and we'll be announcing any autotype-related news in the forums and at https://releases.1password.com/.

• RogerDucky
    RogerDucky
    Community Member

Fact you guys had a secure service with auto-sync appealed to me. However, without autotype, there's really no point in keeping the service for much longer -- certain sites/services disables pasting intentionally, and, at the same time, has laggy input, making manual typing extremely difficult to pull off with a long password. (Think RDS terminal login with a VPN.)

If this isn't addressed soon, then I'll be forced to look for alternatives.

• ag_mike_d
    edited August 2022

Hello @RogerDucky,

We understand your concern and thank you for your additional feedback.

Though I can't confirm when this will be addressed, the feature is on our roadmap and I've added your vote to the existing item being tracked by our team. Please keep a close eye on our release notes for updated features like this.

As noted above by Peter, this feature is available through 1Password 7 for Windows. If you'd like to revert to version 7 while we continue our work here, you can uninstall version 8 before installing. Of note, please be sure to save a copy of your Emergency Kit and record your password on it, as needed, so that you always have access to your account credentials.

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Thanks for your patience.

• IanPaulF
    IanPaulF
    Community Member

Hi guys,
    I was looking for a way to ask for the auto-type feature on the 1PW8 desktop app. I guess this is the way? Consider me one of the people that it's basically a deal breaker for. I'm currently using 1PW8, but I'm pretty sure I'd switch to another app if you can't provide the feature by the time I have to renew my plan. I know I could switch to version 7, but I want to use 1PW8, as it otherwise is perfect for me, and I really like the design.

I know adding features isn't always as easy as it seems, but this one shouldn't be a matter of "is it required" but "when and how can we provide it".

Thank you for your work, nonetheless.

• ag_mike_d
    edited September 2022

Hello @IanPaulF,

Thanks so much for using 1Password 8 and letting us know that you'd like to see an auto-type feature, but I'm sorry to hear this is a deal breaker for you. I don't have any additional news to share, but have included a +1 for you in the request we're tracking. Please keep an eye open in our 1Password Releases for information about new features like this.

• elidor
    elidor
    Community Member

As you guys are collecting votes: I would love that feature as well. I need to use a lot of different SAP Systems on a daily basis and would love to have the AutoType feature for that. Yes, I could drag and drop the credentials, but I try to avoid using the mouse wherever possible. Using drag and drop is a break in my workflow.
    Unfortunately I cannot go back to 1P7, because of the Proxy environment in my company. I already had that topic with the 1Password Support which was a great help, but the solution involved upgrading to version 8.

• Hello @elidor and folks,

Thanks for your request. I understand that you try avoid mouse usage when possible, but I wanted to let you know that we've recently added the Type in window feature to our Beta release. You can right-click on an item field to “Type in window” and fill the contents of the field in the open window of your choice. If you'd like to test this feature out before it reaches Production, you can follow our guide to use 1Password beta releases.

In the meantime, I've cast a vote on your behalf for the AutoType feature request we're currently tracking. 👍

Let us know how you make out. If you have any additional feedback to share about this feature, we'll be here to help!

• FECV
    FECV
    Community Member

Not sure this really helps at all. Windows like Windows Security do not show up as a type in option. Not sure why this can't be easy as KeePass where not only can you select a Windows Security window or any windows for that matter, but you can script exactly what you want to auto-type to include things like tab, enter, etc. Is there a licensing issue with some technology? If I wanted to, I could use KeePass to fill in an entire form with a singe hot key no issues. That is level of customization that I wanted here. This is what lots of people want just by doing some internet searching on the topic. Without it I cannot justify giving 1Password my money either for family or business accounts. I would even pay extra for it as an add-on or something to the base 1Password app.